?backcountry binding for beginners

Old July 21st 04, 12:00 AM
M. Wilkinson

Default ?backcountry binding for beginners

I'm looking for information on bindings for beginner back country skiers.
I've been recommended both 3 pin bindings and NNNBC. What is the difference
and what is most suitable for with some downhill experience skiing off
groomed trails? I've read plenty of descriptions on the web but few have
accompanying photos. Don't want to hire the wrong things - the hire shops
have only added to my confusion so far.

Also, what is the difference between 'alpine skiing' and 'backcountry'?

Cheers,
Marshall.

Old July 21st 04, 03:18 AM
quack

On the other hand, try something different than what you're accustomed to,
i.e. rent some tele skis. If you're renting you can try a few different
things and make up your own mind. A good reason to try tele skiing is that
alpine skiing bores you, so you won't want to use AT, which is too much like
alpine skiing. It's nice to learn new things, to remember what it's like to
fall down, to feel some new sensations in familiar places.

3-pins don't work too well if you're mostly interested in making turns
skiing downhill. You'll want something with cables if you plan to play
going downhill. There are plenty of options. If you really just want to
stroll around in the woods, go for lightweight gear; if you want to ski to
some good places to make turns, beef things up a bit. If you're not having
fun, keep doing it: nothing good comes too easily . . .
Old July 21st 04, 12:37 PM
quack

sure, why not? If even Republicans can claim there's room for everyone, so
can skiing.
Old July 21st 04, 02:30 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article ,
M. Wilkinson wrote:
I'm looking for information on bindings for beginner back country skiers.
I've been recommended both 3 pin bindings and NNNBC. What is the difference
and what is most suitable for with some downhill experience skiing off
groomed trails? I've read plenty of descriptions on the web but few have
accompanying photos. Don't want to hire the wrong things - the hire shops
have only added to my confusion so far.

_ The place to start first is figure out what boots you want to
use. Beefy plastic, medium plastic/leather or lightweight fabric
plastic. Once you get the boots, then try the bindings that make
the most sense for those boots. Figure out whether you want to
focus on making turns or covering ground. All BC skiing gear is
a compromise in some way or another, the trick is figuring out
what compromise works best for you.

Also, what is the difference between 'alpine skiing' and 'backcountry'?

_ Alping skiing generally meand riding up the lift and skiing
down. Backcountry means you climb up and ski down.

_ There are sort of 3 categories of gear.

Backcountry

This generally means lighter weight gear on which the
focus is covering ground rather than making turns. The skis are
beefy enough to survive off trail and have metal edges, however
descending steep terrain on this gear requires a lot of skill.
You can do either parallel or telemark turns on this gear,
however soft boots require a different turning technique
that many people coming from a stiff boot alpine background
find difficult. Binding are either 3pin or NNN/BC or Salomn's
version of NNN/BC. The gear is generally not suitable for
resort skiing(i.e. lift-served).

Telemarking

While this gear is named for the turn, it does not
require that you telemark to use it. Boots are generally
heavy plastic, bindings are cable and skis heavy. Many
resort skiers now use telemark gear.

Alpine Touring or AT.

This gear is the most similar to what resort skiers are
used to. Basically, it's a slightly lighter boot, ski and binding
that has a heel lift mode so you can climb up before you ski
down.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old July 22nd 04, 01:01 PM
pinnah

"M. Wilkinson" wrote:
I'm looking for information on bindings for beginner back country skiers.
I've been recommended both 3 pin bindings and NNNBC. What is the difference
and what is most suitable for with some downhill experience skiing off
groomed trails? I've read plenty of descriptions on the web but few have
accompanying photos. Don't want to hire the wrong things - the hire shops
have only added to my confusion so far.

Here is my take on the binding choices. The best binding is very
highly tied to what you mean by "backcountry" and "some downhill".
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt...-bindings.html

Also, what is the difference between 'alpine skiing' and 'backcountry'?

Alpine almost always means with the heel locked down.

Backcountry is so overused and ambiguous that it is nearly
meaningless. The only definition worth paying attention to, imo, is
that used by marketing departments. More on this he
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt...ckcountry.html

-- Dave
"It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
without the proper equipment."
Aristotle, Politics, 1323a-b, trans Jowett
Old August 18th 04, 09:51 AM
Ern Reeders

NNNBC can be described as the Subaru of backcountry skiing - light, strong,
reliable, nimble, good flex. I used this system, inc for some intermediate
tele-turning, for ten years. Partic. good for touring.

If you're serious about telemarking, then go for plastic boots and cable or
plate bindings. Good for edge control but pretty ordinary for kick and
glide!

Ern

Old December 6th 04, 06:04 PM
Simon Isbister

_ The place to start first is figure out what boots you want to
use. Beefy plastic, medium plastic/leather or lightweight fabric
plastic.

Yeah, my first forays into backcountry skiing (with a strong alpine skiing
background) involved a borrowed pair of skis with old silveretta bindings,
and my leather La Sportiva Makalus. Went OK, but I don't recomend it.