Burton Freestyle binding sping already gave out?

Old January 20th 04, 08:10 PM
Johnny K

Default Burton Freestyle binding sping already gave out?

I've used these bindings once, and if you are familiar with them (they
are 2004), the toe strap is only a '1 piece'.. I just mean, you ratchet
it in, and then to loosen it, you just push down on the other end of the
ratchet (there is not a seperate button on top that lifts it).. However,
when you lift it up, the spring does not bring it back down.. The spring
is still there, and hooked up, but it doesn't have enough force to pull
it down.. The boot won't come out, but I just don't like that it's doing
that after 1 hour of use.. If I try to exchange it, I don't know what
they will sya, because it is still holding the boot in.. At least the
other side, if it loosens a bit, the ratchet will snap down into place
again.. I'm not so positive about this side.. There is also obvious
friction in (I don't mean it's hard, but you can feel mild friction in
it).. Should I have graphite lubed them or something? Going to a resort
3 hours away, and don't want any problems with them..

Old January 22nd 04, 08:40 PM
paul m

johnny,
i think i know what you're talking about and yes, thats been my experience
with cheaper burton bindings (and not just burton either). ie the ratchet
just doesn't hold up. whether it be the spring, like in your case, or the
ratchet comes down halfway in between the teeth, over time rounding down the
longest part of each tooth making it easier to slip. the newer barrel
ratchet designs *seem* to eliminate both of these problems. guess we'll see
over time.

uh, i've never heard of anyone lubing bindings. none of my, or any of my
friends bindings *came* with lube.
i'm pretty sure you don't have to do this.

turn em in for some better bindings. trust me.

good turns...
paul

Old January 22nd 04, 09:08 PM
Johnny K

Thanks man.. too late to return.. can't afford anything else.. but i'll
NEVER buy a burton product again..They just feel horribly cheaply made..
And I can almost twist them inhalf in my hand.. And the boots.. sheesh..
Toes touch the end, but the heel doesn't touch the back, so it comes out
a bit.. Made in china crap.. I guess everyone just loves them for their
name..

Old January 22nd 04, 10:08 PM
paul m

whoa.... don't throw out the whole burton product line just yet!
i agree their entry and mid-level bindings sometimes suck, but i think their
boards are the best on the market.

its like any other company... some of their stuff is ****, and some of it kicks
ass. *shrug*

you're totally right tho... you pay for the name. specially with outerwear.
paul

Old January 22nd 04, 10:41 PM
Johnny K

Well true enough.I can't speak for their boards..I hear good things.. I
don't like they propriety(sp) idea though..