burton binding questions

Old January 15th 04, 10:31 PM
Johnny K

Default burton binding questions

Just started a few weeks ago, and picked up some Burton Freestyle v.11
bindings and Burton boots.. I have a few questions.. How tight should i
do up the bolts on the bindings? Specifically, the ones that have the
T-Nut (with the sharp prongs) on the back of the straps and stuff. I
don't want ti too loose, as I'm sure it would come out, but i don't want
it so tight so that it pierces through the back of the padding? Any
helpful tips for that one..

2nd, I keep hearing everywhere that they are too flexy.. I'm obviously
not good for the park yet, and just like riding around.. I just started,
but i used to sky, and seem to be picking this up quite quickly.. Is the
flex going to be a problem? People say I should return them and get
something with an aluminum baseplate?

3rd, is the bottom strap ratchet system.. Seems once you get it fairly
tight, it won't ratchet anymore, and just 'skips' on top of the grooves,
and makes a sound I don't like.. [Smile] It WILL tighten up more if you
apply a lot of pressure ont he top to push it down into the grooves,
while ratcheting them up.. are mine defective, or are they just not good
bindings? (Really doesn't have much adjustment for boots either, that
was an annoyance).. Thanks loads guys!

Old January 16th 04, 08:05 PM
paul m

johnny,
1) hmmm... i think i know what yer asking, but my only observation is to
check them and make sure they're *reasonable* tight each time you ride.
i've had problems with entry level strap bindings coming loose after 4 or 5
rides and if i don't go out of my way to check them pre-ride each time.
once, my (at the time) wife's strap fell off on the lift at beaver
mountain. luckily some people saw it fall and yelled at us from the chair
behind. point being, i dont think its so much about how tight they are,
just that they're kind of tight and that you check them a lot. make sense?

2) this one i can actually answer, kinda. the burton freestyle bindings
*are* flexy. they're supposed to, and as they were definitely an entry
level burton product, i never liked either the straps or the highback on
this binding. if you want to freeride more than work on freestyle, then
take these back if thats an option. they're a good binding, but it sounds
like you have the option to take them back.

3) i know exactly what yer talking about here. its the same thing on my
burton cutoms. if you buy a newer, more expensive binding, the rachets will
be a lot better, as will the grooved strap that it rides on. look for an
aluminum barrel ratchet design. i'm ditching my customs for a pair of
salomon sp4's or better. i wear salomon boots tho, and maybe its my
imagination, but it sure feels like the salomon boot to binding fit is a lot
better than with the burton bindings. its been my *general* observation
that burton entry to midlevel bindings are subpar to other brands. they
make *great* outerwear and the best boards, but i've never really like their
strap bindings. but thats just a personal observation tho!

hope that helps!
good turns...
paul

Old January 16th 04, 08:36 PM
Johnny K

Thanks a lo tman! I have been looking at these Atlantis aluminum
bindings? Ive neverheard of the brand, but the bindings look alright?
http://www.boardzone.com/snow/produc...productid=5422
So I'm going to try these again tomorrow, and see what my friend thinks
(he's an instructor).. I am a beginner, so I don't really know, but i
don't want something I'm going to have to replace in a year.. So what is
your take this plan? Thanks again man!