Wedge vs. Stem; The Difference.

Old December 25th 04, 03:18 PM
foot2foot

"Richard Henry" wrote in message
news:wQYyd.3700$yW5.2117@fed1read02...

Bub? I've been called worse. You can google it up yourself.

I didn't mean it as any sort of insult Richard, more of a term of
endearment or familiarity really.

I probably shouldn't have said it in this way.

Old December 26th 04, 12:13 AM
foot2foot

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message

Yeah, foot is a technique debater, (etc)

Thanks, but,

Darn it Olaf, I'm not trying to "debate" anyone. I'm very
serious about getting some ideas across and helping
skiers to get better. That's why I get a little ruffled when
people just seem to want to play word games instead of
focusing through to get to a result of the whole discussion.

Old December 26th 04, 04:02 AM
ant

"Walt" wrote in message
VtSkier wrote:

Consider Magic Hat #9

If you like apricot flavored beer. It's *interesting*, but a bit odd.

I was wondering if number 9 was that dreadful stuff with fruit in it. That
is really not good to drink at all. I do like Fat Angel though.

ant

Old December 28th 04, 11:09 PM
TCS

A wedge changeup. The same thing you do in a wedge
changeup as you head straight down an easy hill.
The extending the tails of the inside ski as well seems
superfluous, but it's not.

The motion made equally with each ski, tails out to the side,
is the same motion made by the outside ski to initiate a
parallel turn. So, once you have the wedge changeup,
you're after making that same motion with *both skis*
at the same time.

Ah, so you are stemming BOTH skis.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado is now open for skiing
Old December 28th 04, 11:17 PM
TCS

Lot's o' good breweries in New England. Trouble is most of the good
stuff doesn't leave New England, we **** it into our own sewers.

VtSkier

I'm not trying to buy it here. We have more microbrews than I can handle. I
just thought I'd try them the next time I get to NH. I get to NH about 20
times as often as VT.

In fact I may never have been to VT. I've skied at Stowe. Is Stowe in VT? Or
do they have their own state or country?

Cheers, TCS

Old December 28th 04, 11:17 PM
VtSkier

TCS wrote:
A wedge changeup. The same thing you do in a wedge
changeup as you head straight down an easy hill.
The extending the tails of the inside ski as well seems
superfluous, but it's not.

The motion made equally with each ski, tails out to the side,
is the same motion made by the outside ski to initiate a
parallel turn. So, once you have the wedge changeup,
you're after making that same motion with *both skis*
at the same time.

Ah, so you are stemming BOTH skis.

Yes, that's what it sounds like to me.

VtSkier
Old December 28th 04, 11:31 PM
TCS

4. Stem christie: A christie or christiana turn, named for a town/ski
area in Austria, is a skidded turn and early parallel turns from the
Hannes Schneider school in ....

Actually, in Norway.

Old December 29th 04, 12:18 AM
foot2foot

"TCS" wrote in message
A wedge changeup. The same thing you do in a wedge
changeup as you head straight down an easy hill.
The extending the tails of the inside ski as well seems
superfluous, but it's not.

The motion made equally with each ski, tails out to the side,
is the same motion made by the outside ski to initiate a
parallel turn. So, once you have the wedge changeup,
you're after making that same motion with *both skis*
at the same time.

Ah, so you are stemming BOTH skis.

During the wedge changeup drill, yes. But then, one can make
that same motion with only one ski or the other, while keeping
the inside ski next to and parallel to the outside ski throughout
the turn by lifing the tail of the inside ski and leaving the tip on
the snow.

Even though the same motion is made by the outside ski as
is made doing a wedge changeup, the skis stay parallel
throughout the turn. I don't think too many people will be
calling that a stem. You may find a way to think of it as such
though.

Old December 29th 04, 12:22 AM
VtSkier

TCS wrote:
4. Stem christie: A christie or christiana turn, named for a town/ski
area in Austria, is a skidded turn and early parallel turns from the
Hannes Schneider school in ....

Actually, in Norway.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado is now open for skiing

Yes, yes, yes. I was corrected on this a week or so ago and did my "mea
culpas". Where have you been.

VtSkier
Old December 29th 04, 12:28 AM
VtSkier

TCS wrote:
Lot's o' good breweries in New England. Trouble is most of the good
stuff doesn't leave New England, we **** it into our own sewers.

VtSkier

I'm not trying to buy it here. We have more microbrews than I can handle. I
just thought I'd try them the next time I get to NH. I get to NH about 20
times as often as VT.

Good breweries in NH too. I happen to like a couple of Brew Pubs in
Portsmouth on NH's ever so small coast.

In fact I may never have been to VT. I've skied at Stowe. Is Stowe in VT? Or
do they have their own state or country?

Yes, Stowe is in Vermont. Killington (the town, not the ski area) is
currently trying to secede from Vermont and join New Hampshire. The
people in town seem sincere, but I think they are laughing up their
sleeves when they don't think anyone else is looking.

I'd be more than happy to show you around Killington, should you ever
venture this way. Ping me on this NG (or preferably the moderated one)
and I'll send you my REAL email addy so we could hook up.

Cheers, TCS

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado is now open for skiing

Glad to hear this. I would hope to ski there sometime. So far only Tahoe
and the PNW outside of New England.

VtSkier