Wedge vs. Stem; The Difference.

Old December 24th 04, 09:01 PM
TCS

Walt - you usually ski in Michigan and now you are going to PA? Isn't that
step down?

Not really. PA has bigger hills. Michigan has better snow. Anyway,
I've got family back east and I go there for the holidays, so it's not
really a choice. You go skiing on the hills you have, not the hills
you want, or something like that.

Understand.

For me, spending the holidays with family means NH. Unfortunately they seldom
have good snow during Christmas week.

As for Colorado, lousy snow (this year) and too crowded. I'll wait.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado is now open for skiing
Old December 24th 04, 09:10 PM
Mary Malmros

TCS wrote:

Well we do make good beer here.
better 'n Colorado Cool Aid.
Consider Magic Hat #9
or Long Trail Harvest (which you can't get in winter, neener, neener)

Okay you are talking about backyard, garage (or in your case barn) type beer.
I'll have to try some. Any in NH?

What is "backyard, garage (or in your case barn) type beer"? Stuff
you'd make there, or stuff you'd consume there? If the former, I have
to tell you, both Magic Hat and Long Trail are pretty mass-produced
these days. Not like Anheiser-Busch, but still, a long way from rootsy
micro.

FWIW, I don't drink Coors. When I first moved here (lace boots, wooden skis)
Coors cans were only 11 oz. I hold a grudge a long time. ;-)

Coors is for hoors.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 24th 04, 09:11 PM
VtSkier

TCS wrote:
Well we do make good beer here.
better 'n Colorado Cool Aid.
Consider Magic Hat #9
or Long Trail Harvest (which you can't get in winter, neener, neener)

Okay you are talking about backyard, garage (or in your case barn) type beer.
I'll have to try some. Any in NH?

FWIW, I don't drink Coors. When I first moved here (lace boots, wooden skis)
Coors cans were only 11 oz. I hold a grudge a long time. ;-)

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado is now open for skiing

I thought you may have been an old fart like me. Imagine, pushing the
tail of a ski out to the side and calling it a wedge.

Lot's o' good breweries in New England. Trouble is most of the good
stuff doesn't leave New England, we **** it into our own sewers.

VtSkier
Old December 24th 04, 09:12 PM
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

TCS wrote:

Thanks, come east and I'll buy a good Vermont beer.

Huh?

Well we do make good beer here.
better 'n Colorado Cool Aid.
Consider Magic Hat #9

If you like apricot flavored beer. It's *interesting*, but a bit odd.

or Long Trail Harvest (which you can't get in winter, neener, neener)

We enjoyed a six of Long Trail Ale two weeks ago in NH. Was this left
over from the summer, or is Harvest different?

Regular old Long Trail Ale is my favorite when I can't get Harvest. It
IS different. Smoother, mellower, no fancy flavor, just beer flavored
beer. The best kind.

VtSkier
Old December 24th 04, 09:16 PM
Mary Malmros

foot2foot wrote:

Mary! *Nice* job!! Really. Not kidding here.

Well, you gotta read the whole thing, foot. They were pretty careful to
cite the limitations of their study; particularly important was the
absence of data that would allow them to calculate rates, and thus, to
say that blades are "more dangerous" than skis or whatever. The most
useful thing they noted WRT blades was that there was a greater absolute
number of tib-fib fractures, which they felt could be prevented with a
release binding similar to a ski binding. They also pointed out,
however, that when release bindings came on the scene with skis, the
incidence of tib-fib fractures went down, but ACL injuries went up, and
that wasn't some kind of random coincidence.

Old December 24th 04, 09:33 PM
Richard Henry

"TCS" wrote in message
Well we do make good beer here.
better 'n Colorado Cool Aid.
Consider Magic Hat #9
or Long Trail Harvest (which you can't get in winter, neener, neener)

Okay you are talking about backyard, garage (or in your case barn) type

beer.
I'll have to try some. Any in NH?

FWIW, I don't drink Coors. When I first moved here (lace boots, wooden

skis)
Coors cans were only 11 oz. I hold a grudge a long time. ;-)

It appears they made up the difference with Rocky Mountain fresh water.

Old December 25th 04, 12:42 AM
uglymoney

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:10:54 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

TCS wrote:

Well we do make good beer here.
better 'n Colorado Cool Aid.
Consider Magic Hat #9
or Long Trail Harvest (which you can't get in winter, neener, neener)

Okay you are talking about backyard, garage (or in your case barn) type beer.
I'll have to try some. Any in NH?

What is "backyard, garage (or in your case barn) type beer"? Stuff
you'd make there, or stuff you'd consume there? If the former, I have
to tell you, both Magic Hat and Long Trail are pretty mass-produced
these days. Not like Anheiser-Busch, but still, a long way from rootsy
micro.

FWIW, I don't drink Coors. When I first moved here (lace boots, wooden skis)
Coors cans were only 11 oz. I hold a grudge a long time. ;-)

Coors is for hoors.

I cannot say that I disagree with this, but, I did drink a couple of
Coors Extra Golds at Vail a few weekends ago strictly because of the
price. It was $5 for a 23 oz can. It was the cheapest thing within
several miles of Midvale and I half expected the Vail price police to
arrest us for paying a reasonable price for something (however
inferior the product).

It brought back memories of a certain fishing trip from my High School
days that involved the Gold. I hold no grudges.

As a famous RSA poster once said, "Hello? it's ****ing beer!"

nate
Old December 25th 04, 12:54 AM
Walt

uglymoney wrote:

I cannot say that I disagree with this, but, I did drink a couple of
Coors Extra Golds at Vail a few weekends ago ...

Vail. Coors.

Please turn in your decoder ring. You've been excommunicated.

--
// Walt
//

Old December 25th 04, 03:18 PM
foot2foot

Yes, but I still think you did a good job finding that info that
no one else including me had been able to find.

Old December 25th 04, 03:18 PM
foot2foot

"TCS" wrote in message
Traverse. Build up speed. Lots of it. *Then* make a wedge
and pick up the tail of the inside ski. *Then* maybe you might
want to make the wedge and pick up the tail *at the same time*.
Whammo. Parallel turn. Simple. Quick. Effective.

Question. Are you traversing in parallel or wedge position? (I am
trying to
understand your points.)

As I see it:

a. Traversing in wedge position. Then you are just linking wedge turns.

b. Traversing in parallel position. Then to get into "wedge" you have to
stem
one of the skis. In your case I don't know which one.

You may be on to something. But my problem is that you keep descrbing the
basic stem turn. Well, above you describe the stem christie.

I still don't know what you mean by "make a wedge".

A wedge changeup. The same thing you do in a wedge
changeup as you head straight down an easy hill.
The extending the tails of the inside ski as well seems
superfluous, but it's not.

The motion made equally with each ski, tails out to the side,
is the same motion made by the outside ski to initiate a
parallel turn. So, once you have the wedge changeup,
you're after making that same motion with *both skis*
at the same time.