Beginners tutorials online??

Old February 5th 06, 11:22 AM

Default Beginners tutorials online??

Hi there

I've had my 3rd lesson on a dry slope and will be heading out to France try
real snow in two weeks time. I just wondered if there were any video clip
tutorials for beginners anywhere on the net? I cant seem to find any clips
of basic manoeuvres, etc, which would be useful to become familiar with
before I go. Obviously I'm having lessons too, but it would be useful to
watch some basic boarding stuff beforehand.

Cheers

James

Old February 5th 06, 06:22 PM

I don't know of any sites with video clips, but one of my favourite
sites is http://www.abc-of-snowboarding.com/. There's lots of useful
information about how to snowboard, and plenty of diagrams and pictures.

Old February 5th 06, 09:38 PM

Hi

There is a quite a good guide here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl...olympics/html/

Paul

Old February 6th 06, 05:53 PM

Paul S wrote:
Hi

There is a quite a good guide here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl...olympics/html/

Paul

lol, that guy's got a hell of a lishp.
Old February 7th 06, 12:58 AM

HEY, THAT BBC SITE GIVEN BY THE LAST COUPLE OF RIDERS IS ONE OF THE
BEST INTRO'S I'VE SEEN. LIKE YOU, I TRIED TO FIND SOME VIDEOS WHEN IT
FIRST GOT STARTED. THIS BBC TUTORIAL IS SHORT AND GOOD. NOTHING GOING
TO MEAN MUCH TO YOU UNTIL YOU GET OUT THERE AND MAKE ALL THE MISTAKES.
AFTER YOU GET IT, THEN IT ALL STARTS TO MAKE SENSE. STAY COOL. DON'T
GIVE UP. RIDING IS ABOUT THE GREATEST THING THERE IS....

HUCK

Old February 9th 06, 06:49 PM

James Varty wrote:
Hi there

I've had my 3rd lesson on a dry slope and will be heading out to France try
real snow in two weeks time. I just wondered if there were any video clip
tutorials for beginners anywhere on the net? I cant seem to find any clips
of basic manoeuvres, etc, which would be useful to become familiar with
before I go. Obviously I'm having lessons too, but it would be useful to
watch some basic boarding stuff beforehand.

Cheers

James

I am curious what a dry slope is and where I can find one. Is it for
beginners to learn or for boarders of all levels to practice on?

Thanx
Old February 10th 06, 02:56 PM

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:49:05 -0600, lakota
wrote:

James Varty wrote:
Hi there

I've had my 3rd lesson on a dry slope and will be heading out to France try
real snow in two weeks time. I just wondered if there were any video clip
tutorials for beginners anywhere on the net? I cant seem to find any clips
of basic manoeuvres, etc, which would be useful to become familiar with
before I go. Obviously I'm having lessons too, but it would be useful to
watch some basic boarding stuff beforehand.

Cheers

James

I am curious what a dry slope is and where I can find one.

It's a type of matting laid on the slope of an ordinary hill. Skis
and boards will slide over it, and sort of work the way they do on
snow. There's a dozen or so in the uk, and a few more in the flat
bits of northern europe, I think.

Is it for
beginners to learn or for boarders of all levels to practice on?

They're basically rubbish for everyone, but beginners don't know
enough to know that :-) I learnt on a dryslope (there was on 2 miles
from my house) but once I'd visited the mountains for the first time,
I never went back to the dryslope.
--
Champ
Old February 12th 06, 04:24 AM

excellent:
http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski...r/frswiss.html

Old February 12th 06, 04:02 PM

Best advice I'd give to a grasshopper is something that seems to get
overlooked: get a friend or tutor to work with your settings / widths /
angles in relation to how your legs feel once you get going, in order
to ensure your stance is correct. This will avoid bad habits, but also,
you'll get that board turning without an exaggerated problem on one
edge or the other. Grasshoppers usually always complain that one edge
is harder than the other, and often there's an incorrect weight
distribution adding significantly to the problem. Once you can make
turns, listen to your legs and where they ache etc. Finding correct
settings can be maddening, but it's satisfying when you start
understanding the physics of the board..