Natasha Richardson

Old March 27th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

Default Natasha Richardson

In article ,
A mighty Hungarian wrote:

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:17:31 -0700, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

No I wouldn't. And I've been in races where boats sunk, and people
died. I've been on races where boats were attacked by sea monsters,
and only my heroism with a mighty sword saved us.

Right.

Don't **** me off. You know what will happen.

You'll bore me to death?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 27th 09, 11:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 26, 8:45*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
[rambling deleted]
I gotta tell you, the quality of the content here had become downright
apalling.

Can you please repost your rant in a nonpidgin variant of English? I'd
appreciate it.

Joe Ramirez
Old March 27th 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Mar 26, 2:30*pm, wrote:
On Mar 24, 8:39*pm, lal_truckee wrote:

Jeff Davis wrote:

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk,

Jeff, that's a damn shame ...

No way to know if a helmet would have helped either Miller or
Richardson, but it's such a simple piece of added protection.

It's hard to understand why rank beginners who know they're going to
fall hard many times

Actually, it's easy to understand, though still unfortunate. Adult
beginners very seldom wear helmets because of (1) the expense and (2)
ignorance.

Far more people have skied over time without helmets than with them. I
imagine that even today most are not so vain as to think that they
need one.

(1) People just starting to ski or snowboard don't want to buy
equipment that they may not ever use again. Until you've had a few
lessons and have spent some time on the slopes, how do you know you
will stick with the sport? You may try it once and then never again.
While skis, snowboards, and boots can be rented easily, and relatively
inexpensively (often packaged with a lesson and a lift ticket), rental
helmets aren't as widely available. *Buying* a helmet is an
investment, just as buying your skis, boots, etc., is an investment.
Most beginners won't invest until they've sampled an activity enough
to make at least one season's commitment to it.

The obvious answer is for resorts to include a helmet in every ski/
board rental package for adults. If the renter declines the helmet,
the package price does not go down.

(2) Beginners expect to fall, but probably assume they won't be at
much risk because (a) they won't be going very fast, right? and (b)
snow is soft, isn't it? It takes experience to learn that hardpack can
be like rock, and that a serious injury can be sustained on any slope,
at any speed, if you're unlucky in the way you fall. I've worn a
helmet for several years now, but I didn't at first. It took a couple
hard knocks to my skull while snowboarding -- knocks that occurred at
low speeds on gentle slopes, because that's when catching an edge is
easiest -- to make me see the light (luckily, I didn't end up seeing
stars).

Joe Ramirez

**** happens.

Old March 27th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Jeff Davis wrote:

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk,

Jeff, that's a damn shame ...

No way to know if a helmet would have helped either Miller or
Richardson, but it's such a simple piece of added protection.

It's hard to understand why rank beginners who know they're going to
fall hard many times

Actually, it's easy to understand, though still unfortunate. Adult
beginners very seldom wear helmets because of (1) the expense and (2)
ignorance.

Far more people have skied over time without helmets than with them. I
imagine that even today most are not so vain as to think that they
need one.

"Vain"? Sorry, but that makes no sense. And in a previous post you
said wearing a helmet was a form of "self-aggrandizement," which also
made no sense, as I've already pointed out.

Look, there can be reasons why you as an individual might not believe
you need a helmet. And there can be reasons why people might oppose
either mandatory helmet laws or mandatory helmet rules at resorts. But
your equating simple, widely employed precautionary measures with
vanity is ridiculous.

Joe Ramirez
Old March 27th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

pigo wrote:

Far more people have skied over time without helmets than with them. I
imagine that even today most are not so vain as to think that they
need one.

Aha - the Carly Simon argument...

I'm so vain
I probably think this post is about me
I'm so vain
I bet I think this post is about me
Don't I? Don't I?

- it's not about being better than the next guy - it's about being not
as good and wanting whatever edge a helmet offers when the inevitably
screw up occurs (or when getting clobbered by some out of control doofuss.
Old March 27th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Mar 26, 11:04 am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

And you don't see the run follows the lift line? Yup, your green MA is
still green as ever, and you' are stuck in your little knowledge's
mediocrity/denial.

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

It followed the lift line for a little while...

...then it went onto cat tracks.

VtSkier was right; your "cat track" is called "Olympic Downhill."

Here's another run for your denial,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD_v9VJlgTw

IS

Old March 27th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Jeff Davis wrote:

[...]

Where can you rent ski's and not helmets? and compared to ski rental, helmet
rental is usually insignificant.

--

Chris *:-)

Old March 27th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

wrote:

Jeff Davis wrote:

[...]

I agree,

Vain people don't where helmets, it would mess up their hair!

--

Chris *:-)

Old March 27th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

taichiskiing wrote:

And you don't see the run follows the lift line? Yup, your green MA is
still green as ever, and you' are stuck in your little knowledge's
mediocrity/denial.

IS
--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

It followed the lift line for a little while...

...then it went onto cat tracks.

VtSkier was right; your "cat track" is called "Olympic Downhill."

And while it's not OMG steep, it has a
good pitch and straightlining it will
build up a considerable head of steam.
It's also LONG. My thighs were burning
at the end as we did it toward the end
of the day. Oh, and I'm not the skier
in this video.

Old March 27th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

taichiskiing wrote:

And you don't see the run follows the lift line? Yup, your green MA is
still green as ever, and you' are stuck in your little knowledge's
mediocrity/denial.

IS
--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

It followed the lift line for a little while...

...then it went onto cat tracks.

VtSkier was right; your "cat track" is called "Olympic Downhill."

You will notice that the skier in this clip
was not using poles and he was also not doing
the patterns that IS uses when skiing. Was
this Mr. Anonymous that we skied with back in
Early January, and who took our picture at the
top?