Natasha Richardson

Old March 26th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

Default Natasha Richardson

In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

In article ,
Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

in force here Alan. Next year never gets here. All we have is here now.

True. And my season is nearly over.

No heli-skiing in Valdez this spring?

Nope. I have other things to do. :-)

--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 26th 09, 07:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:19:48 -0600, bdubya
wrote this crap:

Boom Vang: (n) A large bump or knot, often observed on Horvath's
head after a jibe.

Now you see, dumbass, you remind me of the dumbass behind me at the
stoplight when it changes to green. He starts honking his horn while
I have an important call on the cell phone, and I'm taking notes on a
legal pad. You have no respect.

I've been talking leadership here. I'm trying to teach leadership.
Part of leadership is respect, dumbass. Always teach your men
respect.

Always treat everyone with respect, dumbass.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old March 26th 09, 11:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Mar 25, 5:26 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
VtSkier wrote:
Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

On Mar 23, 2:27 pm, VtSkier wrote:

I did something similar while skiing the woods
at Heavenly over New Years. I thought Ichin would
catch it on video, but no luck. I only have the
helmet with wood embedded in it and a crack in
the interior foam. Not wearing that one anymore.
Sorry, the camera switch tripped off during chasing. The question is,
if you had not worn the helmet, would you do that stunt (diving
through a low branch opening not higher than half person high)?

Long time no talks, but I was busy chasing this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYFbw3JGC4

have fun,
IS

Wow.

You followed someone down the cat tracks.

Actually I think it was Olympic, the downhill
course. The condos at the bottom of the lift
were the giveaway.

It was cat tracks. There are lots of times when you can see the runs
that cross.

And you don't see the run follows the lift line? Yup, your green MA is
still green as ever, and you' are stuck in your little knowledge's
mediocrity/denial.

IS

Old March 26th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TheOtherGuy

On Mar 25, 10:11*pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

In article ,
Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

in force here Alan. *Next year never gets here. *All we have is here now.

True. And my season is nearly over.

No heli-skiing in Valdez this spring?

Nope. I have other things to do. :-)

--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg

Yes, you'd better work on that golf game of your... I see it's not
quite up to "par". ;-)
Maybe Jeff could give you some lessons.. I'm sure he's best buds with
all the famous pros!

Armin
Old March 26th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

On Mar 25, 5:26 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
VtSkier wrote:
Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

[...]

It followed the lift line for a little while...

....then it went onto cat tracks.

Old March 26th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
A mighty Hungarian wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:06:59 -0700, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

I live a life of action, adventure, and danger. Next you'll tell me
to wear a helmet while yacht racing.

If you'd seen the gash my skipper got while racing Solings in Seattle,
you might think it was a good idea for yacht racing.

No I wouldn't. And I've been in races where boats sunk, and people
died. I've been on races where boats were attacked by sea monsters,
and only my heroism with a mighty sword saved us.

Right.

Old March 26th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 24, 8:39*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk,

Jeff, that's a damn shame ...

No way to know if a helmet would have helped either Miller or
Richardson, but it's such a simple piece of added protection.

It's hard to understand why rank beginners who know they're going to
fall hard many times

Actually, it's easy to understand, though still unfortunate. Adult
beginners very seldom wear helmets because of (1) the expense and (2)
ignorance.

(1) People just starting to ski or snowboard don't want to buy
equipment that they may not ever use again. Until you've had a few
lessons and have spent some time on the slopes, how do you know you
will stick with the sport? You may try it once and then never again.
While skis, snowboards, and boots can be rented easily, and relatively
inexpensively (often packaged with a lesson and a lift ticket), rental
helmets aren't as widely available. *Buying* a helmet is an
investment, just as buying your skis, boots, etc., is an investment.
Most beginners won't invest until they've sampled an activity enough
to make at least one season's commitment to it.

The obvious answer is for resorts to include a helmet in every ski/
board rental package for adults. If the renter declines the helmet,
the package price does not go down.

(2) Beginners expect to fall, but probably assume they won't be at
much risk because (a) they won't be going very fast, right? and (b)
snow is soft, isn't it? It takes experience to learn that hardpack can
be like rock, and that a serious injury can be sustained on any slope,
at any speed, if you're unlucky in the way you fall. I've worn a
helmet for several years now, but I didn't at first. It took a couple
hard knocks to my skull while snowboarding -- knocks that occurred at
low speeds on gentle slopes, because that's when catching an edge is
easiest -- to make me see the light (luckily, I didn't end up seeing
stars).

Joe Ramirez
Old March 26th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:17:31 -0700, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

No I wouldn't. And I've been in races where boats sunk, and people
died. I've been on races where boats were attacked by sea monsters,
and only my heroism with a mighty sword saved us.

Right.

Don't **** me off. You know what will happen.

My minions will hunt you down. My armies will descend upon your
village like a plague of locusts. We will destroy your crops, then
burn your village, taking all of your women and children to sell into
slavery. The menfolk will be killed, and your head will be put on a
stick. You are DOOMED, DOOMED I say. And your lands will be forever
cursed. My name will live forever.

Old March 26th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
BrritSki wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
Sue wrote:

In message
,
pigo writes
To wear a helmet skiing would be like wearing one when you drive your
car. For most people overkill and an example of self-aggrandizement.
You've misunderstood - you need the helmet when you have your head near
the open tailgate, not when you're driving the car.

Putting stuff in and out of cars is far more likely to cause a serious
head injury than non-extreme skiing (Lal's in a different class) but
it's a mundane risk so nobody thinks about it.

And it doesn't happen to millionaire celebrities because their stuff
gets shifted for them.

I agree the lady's accident sounds really dodgy.
I was a beginner barely older than her. You can't hit your head, you
just land on the outsides of your thighs, over and over again. Your
skis don't come off because you're barely moving. Other beginners do
ski into you but they're barely moving either so nobody goes flying.
Beginner skiers get knee injuries, not head injuries.

I'm going to assume this is all in jest.

Nope, she's a ****wit

I always wear a helmet, but then again, I put my seatbelt on to move my
car out of the garage. It's just a habit.

Safety issues aside, I love wearing a helmet for the simple reason that
I can put my goggles on my head and then bring them back over my eyes
without them fogging up from the heat of my head.

I just leave my goggles on the helmet and there's never a "should I
where a helmet today" moment, just like I never have a "should I put my
seatbelt on today" moment.

YMMV, I support your right not to wear a helmet, at participating Red
Lobsters only.
Old March 26th 09, 11:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

Jeff Davis wrote:

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk,

Jeff, that's a damn shame ...

No way to know if a helmet would have helped either Miller or
Richardson, but it's such a simple piece of added protection.

It's hard to understand why rank beginners who know they're going to
fall hard many times

Actually, it's easy to understand, though still unfortunate. Adult
beginners very seldom wear helmets because of (1) the expense and (2)
ignorance.00

and (c) they look completely dorky and snowboarderyish.

(1) People just starting to ski or snowboard don't want to buy
equipment snip of crap

WRONG! People just starting LOOOOOOVE to buy equipment - $500 boots,
$700 skis, and Bogners - don't forget the Boogners. They just don't
want to buy something of limited use and/or protective value. Helmets
can't prevent head injuries, only skiers not landing on their heads
can prevent head injuries. Didn't you read my last post? I'm telling
you, we need some sort of law enforcement peronnel out there to check
the badges that identify a skier as an "All Piste Pro" before they
tackle the most difficult runs like Corbets Couloir and the such.

(2) Beginners expect to fall snip of crap

WRONG! Beginners expect to be better than they are, so they go down
too big Piste for too little pistola if you know what I mean. I fall
lots and lots and even on my head but you don't see me not wearing
helmet - nor do you see me wearing one, because I only ski big Piste
now and you probably hang out with ChaiTea on the cat tracks. (Which,
btw, are *excellent* launching pads for loooong loopy helicopteros if
you're going fast_across_them and not skiing along them like some
gapper.)

I gotta tell you, the quality of the content here had become downright
apalling.

JP