"Your Responsibility Code" Interpretation...Ugh

Old January 10th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Default "Your Responsibility Code" Interpretation...Ugh

"Walt" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:58 am, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
I suppose that makes me liable if someone runs into me, since the
menaing of "above" becomes a little ambiguous.
Carefully worded versions of the skiers code use the term "ahead" not
"above".

"People ahead of you have the right of way.
It is your responsibility to avoid them."

When at the 180 point of a carved circle, which direction is "ahead"?

Up. So if you're skiing uphill, it's your responsibility to avoid people
coming down.

Is that so hard?

And it is their responsibility to avoid you?

Sounds like the safest of all situations.

Old January 10th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TexasSkiNut

On Jan 10, 2:40*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:58*am, Walt wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:
I suppose that makes me liable if someone runs into me, since the
menaing of "above" becomes a little ambiguous.

Carefully worded versions of the skiers code use the term "ahead" not
"above".

* * "People ahead of you have the right of way.
* * *It is your responsibility to avoid them."

That's from the National Ski Patrol.http://www.nsp.org/1/nsp/Safety_Info...bilityCode.asp

You'll sometimes see other versionswith the term "above" or "uphill" but
they're not the real deal.

When at the 180 point of a carved circle, which direction is "ahead"?

Also consider that uphill travel is verboten on some slopes...
Old January 10th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:58 am, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
I suppose that makes me liable if someone runs into me, since the
menaing of "above" becomes a little ambiguous.

Carefully worded versions of the skiers code use the term "ahead" not
"above".

"People ahead of you have the right of way.
It is your responsibility to avoid them."

That's from the National Ski Patrol.http://www.nsp.org/1/nsp/Safety_Info...bilityCode.asp

You'll sometimes see other versionswith the term "above" or "uphill" but
they're not the real deal.

When at the 180 point of a carved circle, which direction is "ahead"?

Is the other skier's back to you?
Old January 10th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:58 am, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
I suppose that makes me liable if someone runs into me, since the
menaing of "above" becomes a little ambiguous.
Carefully worded versions of the skiers code use the term "ahead" not
"above".

"People ahead of you have the right of way.
It is your responsibility to avoid them."

That's from the National Ski
Patrol.http://www.nsp.org/1/nsp/Safety_Info...bilityCode.asp

You'll sometimes see other versionswith the term "above" or "uphill" but
they're not the real deal.

When at the 180 point of a carved circle, which direction is "ahead"?

Is the other skier's back to you?

Is that the issue? Then we need a new rule related to snowboarders, since their
back is to one side or the other generally.

Old January 11th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Bob F wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:58 am, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
I suppose that makes me liable if someone runs into me, since the
menaing of "above" becomes a little ambiguous.
Carefully worded versions of the skiers code use the term "ahead" not
"above".

"People ahead of you have the right of way.
It is your responsibility to avoid them."

That's from the National Ski
Patrol.http://www.nsp.org/1/nsp/Safety_Info...bilityCode.asp

You'll sometimes see other versionswith the term "above" or "uphill" but
they're not the real deal.
When at the 180 point of a carved circle, which direction is "ahead"?

Is the other skier's back to you?

Is that the issue? Then we need a new rule related to snowboarders, since their
back is to one side or the other generally.

Really it has to do with the ability of one
snow slider seeing the other. If you are
"above" or "behind" you can generally see
the other person quite well. The other person
must, OTOH, make an effort to see you.

I'm rather respectful of another moving
body's back. I never assume that anybody
has eyes in the back of his head.

This includes overtaking a snowboarder on
his heel side. If I'm beside a skier, I can
be fairly comfortable that he knows I'm
there. I need to be well past a snowboarder
on his heel side to feel that he has seen
me. OTOH, if I'm overtaking on his toe side,
I can still be a bit behind when I can be
pretty sure he knows I'm there.

Having said all of that, I'm still never
overtaking at a high rate of speed. My speed
is relatively less as I am closer to the
person I'm overtaking. A hundred yards I can
blow by at mach 6. At 20 feet, I'm only going
a mph or two faster than the other person, in
addition, I usually speak in a way that I
think the OP can hear me. "I'm on your left."
spoken at a volume to be heard but not to
startle.

Having said all of that, nowadays I always look
for little wires coming out of the OP's ears.

If someone is wired up for sound, I can be
pretty sure he/she is not as aware of his/her
surroundings as he/she might otherwise be.
I really hate this on an emotional level in
that a visceral sport like skiing/snowboarding
should be enjoyed on all levels without
the intrusion of an unnatural stimulus. However,
I've never had a practical problem with someone
who is wired up.
Old January 11th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:

Patrol.http://www.nsp.org/1/nsp/Safety_Info...ibilityCode.as

You'll sometimes see other versionswith the term "above" or "uphill"

but
they're not the real deal.

When at the 180 point of a carved circle, which direction is "ahead"?

Is the other skier's back to you?

Is that the issue? Then we need a new rule related to snowboarders, since

their
back is to one side or the other generally.

And half the time they are making blind turns.

It's really interesting to watch two snowboarders, one a lefty, coming down
a slope apparently totally oblivious of each other.

Old January 11th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Jan 10, 9:33*pm, "Richard Henry" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

. ..

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:58 am, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

You can ride "regular" (left foot in front) or "goofy" (right foot in
front) -- no "lefty."

Joe Ramirez
Old January 11th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote in message
On Jan 10, 9:33 pm, "Richard Henry" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

. ..

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:58 am, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Both ways look pretty goofy to me.

Old January 11th 08, 09:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_14_]

Walt wrote:
BrritSki wrote:
ant wrote:

In 01/02 (Colorado) I had a pair of Stockli super carvers, they were
primarily for eurocarving and liked nothing better than to do actual
carved circles.

Eurocarving? WTF?

Fanging down hills doing loooong curves, with no stocks. These Ravers
extended the envelope a bit, being powerful enough to do circles. At the
time, they were a radical ski. 160cm was the longest they came in, the top
sheet was a thick layer of titanal, the shovel was 120mm (extreme then),
waist 68mm and the tail was, I think, 109mm. They were quite unforgiving,
hell in bumps, horrible in soft (they hung up and behaved like trampolines,
and twitched), but for carving at very high speeds, they were like
battleships.

--
ant
Don't try to email me!