help! I'm abusing my quads!

Old January 10th 05, 02:40 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, VtSkier penned:
lal_truckee wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

After (half) a day of skiing, my quads are always burning

Back seat ...

I couldn't have said it more succinctly myself, in fact I didn't. VtSkier

I know this is a bad habit of mine. The trick is fixing it. If it causes my
quad problems as well as my technique issues, that's one more bit of
incentive.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 02:40 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, thinnmann penned:
Monique,
This is a moderated group and I am really not trying to sound rude, but
if you really live that high and you really ski that much and you
really mountain bike off season and play ice hockey, the quad suffering
really isn't adding up, except for the 5'5" 170 lb part. If you do a
BMI on that it is pretty poor.

Ironic name you have there =P

Believe me, the weight issue isn't a surprise to me, and all of your
links and advice are old hat. I lost a lot of fat before the wedding
last March; then the wedding dinners and honeymoon brought it right
back. I was in awesome shape through most of the summer, but multiple
illnesses, a wrist injury, and a trip to visit family out of the country
all conspired to undo my hard work. I'm also on medication that
probably adds 5-10 pounds of combined water and fat, but I'm switching
to another variant that will hopefully eliminate that. I also have old
knee injuries and arthritis that imo completely eliminate running from
the "smart moves" category, aside from the fact that I absolutely hate
that form of exercise unless I'm chasing after a ball or perhaps running
for my life. The Covert Bailey philosophy (lots of exercise and reduced
fat consumption) has been a great help to me, when I've been able to
follow it. As long as I'm listing my excuses, I also have a tendency to go
witless and grumpy when I haven't eaten recently, resulting in me blindly
grabbing the fattiest, most sugar-laden meal I can find and wolfing it down
before sanity returns. It's no good. I've just purchased glucose tablets so
that I'll hopefully reach for those instead of chocolate chip cookies when I
feel taht way.

I was down to around 150 this summer, and I believe a good weight for me would
be 140. Of course I know that weight is irrelevant, and BMI is misleading;
it's actual body fat percentage that matters.

[snip]

Unfortunately, you should have been doing this, minimally, June -
September... You will be playing catch-up now that the season is in
full swing.

Preaching to the choir. As I said, I worked my butt off this summer,
partially in the hopes of getting the "jump" (ha, ha) on the ski season, but
last year just wasn't my year in a number of ways.

I have seen lots of athletes blame their equipment and spend lots of
money on new stuff when they would get better results through simply
improving their conditioning and losing some pounds. Fortunately,
these things usually go hand-in-hand.

Certainly, continue to demo stuff and make sure you are committing to
proper pressuring a pair of nicely shaped edges so that they do most of
the work for you. The fitness component will make you even more of a
star.

I don't think that new skis will solve my problems. I do suspect that a
different pair of skis would be more compatible with my current skiing habits.
I just brought my skis in for a massive retune/sharpening/etc, desperately
needed, so it will be interesting to see if I still think that way after all
the work.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 02:45 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, VtSkier penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote: (snip)

Honestly, I believe that all of the above is probably of less importance
than my skiing technique. I tend to "haul" on the skis to force them to
turn; I think I'm fighting the mountain. When instructors, friends, etc,
try to get me to feel the point where my boots are providing all of my
support, I never seem to find it, whether on my old boots (salomon
evolution) or my new (salomon women's xwave 8). It *always* seems like my
quads are involved.

So, I'll add a couple of things to my previous post.

Sore quads as you describe is *often* a sign of being in the back seat.

Sore quads as you describe is *often* a sign of being a little dehydrated.

Feeling like you are "hauling" on the skis or "fighting the mountain" is
often a sign of being in the backseat.

Hrmm, there's a common thread there somewhere ... if only I could find it ...

I've started carrying a camelbak, and I'm sure it helps, but I'm also sure I
don't stay as hydrated as I should.

Has anyone shown you drills for getting your hands forward?

I've certainly worked on getting my hands forward. I tend to forget about it
while focusing the other 400 things I'm supposed to do, though. I'll try to
move it up my list.

If you can't see your hands you are probably in the back seat.

Does peripheral vision count? *grin*

Actually, now that you mention it, I think I am turning my body way too far
while going down the hill. This may be because I'm turning my skis way too
far, though. Should my body stay facing down the hill at all times, or should
it be in line with my skis? I've heard conflicting reports. I think it's the
former?

Do your hands move excessively? When you "crank" a turn, does one of your
hands move behind you? Both hands should be visible all the time and
movement is mostly from the wrist, ticking the pole on the snow as a timing
move. Nothing more. Of course when you are horsing around, other things
happen.

I think I tend to "drag" my poles: I may remember to reach out to pole, but
then I don't remember to pick the pole up right away as I go past that spot.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 03:05 AM
VtSkier

On 2005-01-10, VtSkier penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote: (snip)

Honestly, I believe that all of the above is probably of less importance
than my skiing technique. I tend to "haul" on the skis to force them to
turn; I think I'm fighting the mountain. When instructors, friends, etc,
try to get me to feel the point where my boots are providing all of my
support, I never seem to find it, whether on my old boots (salomon
evolution) or my new (salomon women's xwave 8). It *always* seems like my
quads are involved.

So, I'll add a couple of things to my previous post.

Sore quads as you describe is *often* a sign of being in the back seat.

Sore quads as you describe is *often* a sign of being a little dehydrated.

Feeling like you are "hauling" on the skis or "fighting the mountain" is
often a sign of being in the backseat.

Hrmm, there's a common thread there somewhere ... if only I could find it ...

I think you just did.

I've started carrying a camelbak, and I'm sure it helps, but I'm also sure I
don't stay as hydrated as I should.

I'm on and off so often that I don't bother to carry water.
Every patrol shack that I need to go into to sign in/out
has a water cooler so I don't add external water weight,
but if you don't do that, then by all means carry water and
the camelbak is the best way by far.

Has anyone shown you drills for getting your hands forward?

I've certainly worked on getting my hands forward. I tend to forget about it
while focusing the other 400 things I'm supposed to do, though. I'll try to
move it up my list.

Where your hands are, other things will follow.

If you can't see your hands you are probably in the back seat.

Does peripheral vision count? *grin*

No.

Actually, now that you mention it, I think I am turning my body way too far
while going down the hill. This may be because I'm turning my skis way too
far, though. Should my body stay facing down the hill at all times, or should
it be in line with my skis? I've heard conflicting reports. I think it's the
former?

That's part of the question below about hands moving excessively.
Generally, but not necessarily always, your body should be facing
as nearly down the fall line as it can. If you are at close to
90 degrees to the fall line, this is clearly excessive, but trying
to keep the upper body quiet (including your hands) and allowing
you lower half to move back and forth in the turns is the ideal.

Do your hands move excessively? When you "crank" a turn, does one of your
hands move behind you? Both hands should be visible all the time and
movement is mostly from the wrist, ticking the pole on the snow as a timing
move. Nothing more. Of course when you are horsing around, other things
happen.

If your "pole plant" is more than a tick, you will often force
yourself into the back seat. Especially if your poles are bit
too long.

I think I tend to "drag" my poles: I may remember to reach out to pole, but
then I don't remember to pick the pole up right away as I go past that spot.

I've been dragging my poles for 50 years, don't worry about it. Do
worry about allowing you hand to come behind you as you complete
your turn. You will fall into the back seat if you do it. I have
actually thought about dragging my poles a bit. It's always the
inside pole (see another thread in another location to see what
I mean by "inside", it's relative to the turn). Seems like most
folks consider it a bad habit. I find the tactile sensation of
my pole tip moving through the snow to be a cue which helps my
balance. I certainly don't DRAG it hard enough to cause any
actual force against my body.

I'm also one of those guys who put their hands behind the back
with the thumbs locked, body slightly bent forward and with skis
fairly wide apart when trying to make time on a flat runout.
Don't know why, been doing it since I thought it looked Kewl
30 odd years ago. Now it's a habit.

I've said a lot about hands. Putting them and keeping them
where they belong and actually using them very little will cure
many of the "problems" you are describing.

Hope this helps.
VtSkier

Old January 10th 05, 03:28 AM
The Real Bev

VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:

After (half) a day of skiing, my quads are always burning and they're weak
enough that I worry about being able to make turns well.

Me too, but the big muscles in the lower leg participate in the misery
too, and it hits way sooner.

IME(experience), calf muscles hurting has a lot to do with boots
being too tight, or not supporting your ankles well enough.

I don't think that's it. Same thing happened with Tecnica TNTs, the
Raichle mumblesomethings (the rear-entries with lots of adjustments) and
my current boots, Nordica Air F9 Syntechs. If I try to turn by moving
my knees I move way too much and crash, so I use my ankles instead (I
have ****-poor feedback mechanisms), which stresses various calf
muscles. That's what knocks them out. What knocks the quads out is
just standing with my knees flexed for more than 30 seconds. Lifetime
problem, with or without walking/bicycling/weight lifting. Really
strong, but can't use it very long.

Friends tell me that
my thighs really shouldn't be working *that* hard. I'm told to learn to do
things like "let the boot support your weight," but even standing still on
skis, I can't seem to get into a position where my thighs aren't working to
keep myself upright.

Again my experience. My quads experience much the same as yours
early in the season. As time goes by it gets less and less. I
believe that this is due to two things. 1) condition/being in
shape. I don't do a lot to keep my quads/hamstrings in good
shape through the summer. The boots you bought (from an earlier
thread) should be stiff enough to hold you upright (at the
predetermined forward angle of the boot).

I was under the impression that the TNTs were supposed to hold you at a
decent forward angle, but apparently not. Yes, I adjusted them for max
forward lean. Not enough.

And, actually maybe
your quads *should* be working that hard. 2) lightening up. As I
get miles under me, I'm less "on guard", less tense, more
flexible, or maybe not more flexible, but just more springy.

Here in the east we often have less than wonderful visibility.
Especially after 3:00PM, even on a relatively good day the
light gets flat. Add to that real snow falling or snow guns
spraying away. If I wasn't quite springy, especially in late
afternoon bumps, I'd be on my ass in no time. I call it skiing
in Braille. You can't see anything beyond general features, so
you have to feel where you are going. Being very "springy"
helps you stay upright.

It's actually easier to ski when you can't see very well, providing you
KNOW that there isn't anything nasty in front of you. I conclude this
is right brain skiing, which works way better than left-brain skiing.
Dirtbiking too.

I'm also good to myself when my condition from, say, having a
REALLY good day the day before makes me less than optimum. I
stop often, both in terms of laps and in terms of number of
turns before I stop and look up the hill as if I'm waiting for
someone (it's a good ploy).

I have to stop every 30 seconds or so. I'm way too old to need excuses,
I just STOP!

Neither can I. The standard advice is "get forward," which I believe to
be true. Unfortunately, getting far enough forward to consistently feel
my boot-tongues with my shins requires me to lean WAY forward, such that
I am seriously out of balance if something surprising happens. I am
told that I need softer boots, but since one pair of boots is rear-entry
which are traditionally soft, I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Bev, since you are into doing this on the cheap, we used to reinforce
the tongues of our boots to limit forward lean by stiffening it
in some way. Remember Raichle Flexons? You could actually buy stiffer
tongues than the ones that came on the boots. Some people actually
cut soup cans to fit over the boot tongue to give it more stiffness
(yeah, really). Yes, I know you are still using rear entry boots. May
they explode and give you cause to buy something more modern (at a
yard sale, of course).

Boot quiver listed above. I can honestly say that there is NO
difference in performance among my boots, just comfort and ease of
application. That's why I'm pretty sure it's just me.

My big problem is having my ski tips deflected by piles of crud, spots
of ice, etc. I keep the calves tensed to keep the skis pointed ahead
rather than wherever the snow wants me to go. I think everything would
work way better if I could just keep forward, relax, and BREATHE!

Softer boots are being touted for modern carving skis. They will
"encourage" you to find a neutral stance which isn't pressuring
the boot very much at all. My AT boots are soft enough to fall
into this category. My Fischer MountainX skis work very well with
these boots, but my Volkl 6stars don't do very well at all. To
do the things the 6stars are good at, I need to change the pressure
from fore to centered to back (occasionally) with some authority.

BTW, the softer boots I've seen are a frame for support with rest
of the shell made of softer materials more for fix and comfort
than for skiing flexibility. In fact most of the soft boots
are aimed at intermediate skiers. A few, the high end Kneissl
"Rail" ski boots have forward flex adjustment, just like high
end Technicas. Kneissl boots are not longer made or at least
no longer imported.

Yes, I know, these are "carving skis" and should react OK with
the soft boots, but they don't really do very well when I get
into stuff that's iffy, but work beautifully with my alpine boots.

I suspect that I'm fighting my skis, using too much force and not enough
finesse. Any specific suggestions/drills to learn how to make it easier on my
legs? It sucks when everyone else is still raring to go and you're not.
Especially the morning of the second day. Waste of a lift ticket.

I think I remember that your husband "lurves" bumps and you are
trying to keep up with him. You might try a bump clinic sometime,
not a general lesson, a bump specific lesson. You might also rent
a pair of low-level (plain vanilla rentals) sometime to ski in
bumps. They are often softer and more forgiving than the high
performance boards that most of us own. You will get some idea
of what bump-specific skis would be like from this exercise.

I find it's way easier and less tiring to go lots faster. It NEVER
hurts if I'm trying to catch up with somebody. The problem is that I
can only do this with minimal crowds, which happens just about never --
I have to ski as fast as I can while still being prepared to avoid the
erratically-moving slalom gates that cover the hill. BTW, is tomorrow
MLK Day, or the 17th? I made the mistake of going skiing on MLK Day
once. Worst crowds I'd ever seen. I guess people just don't know how to
celebrate properly.

There were so many people on some parts of my section of the
area yesterday at certain times that I actually got
spooked. At one wide place where several trails merge
(appropriately called the mixing bowl) I stopped and looked
up to see several hundred people skiing down at varying
levels of skill, all between 10 and 20 feet apart. REALLY
spooky.

I've tried shorter and longer skis, moving the bindings fore and aft,
and tightening and loosening several pairs of boots over the 10 years
I've been skiing. I feel certain that if I was willing to throw a
couple $thousand at the problem it could be solved, but I'm not that
sort of person :-(

For a given ski, any woman should mount the toepiece from
one to two centimeters further forward than a man would
on the same ski. This does not apply to women specific
skis because the manufacturer has already taken this
need into his placing the boot center mark on the skis.

Simply shorter or longer skis is not necessarily the
answer. Ski the ski in the size the manufacturer recommends
for your height/weight/aggressiveness. Or go to the next
size shorter if you don't ski at 40MPH all the time.

I would LOVE to ski at =40mph all the time, but I don't know whether
I've ever done it or not. I hope so. Speed is wonderful.

Bev, shaped skis are beginning to come on the market very
cheap. Especially used rental equipment (be careful here
because condition might be REALLY bad). Some rental
equipment has the kind of bindings that allow the toe
piece to be moved fore and aft.

Latest skis are Elan SCX 163 parabolics with rental bindings. I've
moved the bindings up and back, with not that much difference. The
first time I rented shaped skis was a revelation and I'll never go
back. I still love my 195 MSLs, but I'll probably never use them
again.

Go short with shaped skis.
For most women in the intermediate/advanced skill level
150 to 160 cm is enough. A really small woman should go
smaller. My 6stars are 165cm. My friend the instructor
is using 150cm 6stars. She's 5'-7" or so and about
135 pounds and a damn fine skier. Her husband, also
an instructor, is about 5'5 and 50# heavier and hates
her 6stars for various reasons.

I think I was happiest with 170 cm Rossi cheap rentals last year. The
160s seemed squirrelier. The Elans were so cheap I couldn't pass them
up, though!

--
Cheers, Bev
"A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person

Old January 10th 05, 03:37 AM
The Real Bev

VtSkier wrote:

I've been dragging my poles for 50 years, don't worry about it.

Glad to hear you say that. Theory has it that you plant to provide some
sort of timing for the turn, but that sounds sort of like saying "oink"
before you take each step just to keep your walking, uhhh, something...
Why do I need to signal my brain before making a turn?

I find the tactile sensation of
my pole tip moving through the snow to be a cue which helps my
balance. I certainly don't DRAG it hard enough to cause any
actual force against my body.

When turning to slow down, I tend to drag the poles assertively, in the
manner of one who sticks one's foot out of the car and drags it on the
ground when the brakes fail. (No, I didn't actually do it, but I
THOUGHT about it.)

I'm also one of those guys who put their hands behind the back
with the thumbs locked, body slightly bent forward and with skis
fairly wide apart when trying to make time on a flat runout.
Don't know why, been doing it since I thought it looked Kewl
30 odd years ago. Now it's a habit.

Definitely kewl, especially if you have one of those elf hats.

I've said a lot about hands. Putting them and keeping them
where they belong and actually using them very little will cure
many of the "problems" you are describing.

Yes. Need lighter poles :-)

Old January 10th 05, 03:50 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, The Real Bev penned:
VtSkier wrote:

I've been dragging my poles for 50 years, don't worry about it.

Glad to hear you say that. Theory has it that you plant to provide some
sort of timing for the turn, but that sounds sort of like saying "oink"
before you take each step just to keep your walking, uhhh, something... Why
do I need to signal my brain before making a turn?

I've been told to plant in order to give myself a point around which to turn.
I tend to "shop around" in moguls, seeking that one perfect bump around which
to turn. The assertive plant is supposed to cue me to assertively turn around
that spot. Amazingly enough, it does work when I do it.

I find the tactile sensation of my pole tip moving through the snow to be a
cue which helps my balance. I certainly don't DRAG it hard enough to cause
any actual force against my body.

When turning to slow down, I tend to drag the poles assertively, in the
manner of one who sticks one's foot out of the car and drags it on the
ground when the brakes fail. (No, I didn't actually do it, but I THOUGHT
about it.)

Hrm, sounds like a good way to lose a foot without actually stopping the car.

I tend to drag as a feeler, kind of like vtskier is describing. It gives me a
sensation of "Oh, there's the mountain." I'm sure it doesn't look all that
dignified or cool, though.

I'm also one of those guys who put their hands behind the back with the
thumbs locked, body slightly bent forward and with skis fairly wide apart
when trying to make time on a flat runout. Don't know why, been doing it
since I thought it looked Kewl 30 odd years ago. Now it's a habit.

Definitely kewl, especially if you have one of those elf hats.

I've started doing that, only because my husband does and he always gets
across the flats faster than I do, so I thought maybe that had something to do
with it ... but really ... probably not.

I've said a lot about hands. Putting them and keeping them where they
belong and actually using them very little will cure many of the "problems"
you are describing.

Yes. Need lighter poles :-)

I got lighter poles. Didn't help =P They do have a very high "kewl" factor,
though (leki's with detachable straps).

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 04:01 AM
bdubya

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:40:32 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2005-01-10, VtSkier penned:
lal_truckee wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

After (half) a day of skiing, my quads are always burning

Back seat ...

I couldn't have said it more succinctly myself, in fact I didn't. VtSkier

I know this is a bad habit of mine. The trick is fixing it. If it causes my
quad problems as well as my technique issues, that's one more bit of
incentive.

It's a recurring bugaboo for me, too. One approach I use (in addition
to all the above good advice about hand position) is to start each
turn by trying to dive forward over the tips and slightly downhill.
That's an exaggerated description, but basically that's how it feels
if you're use to being in the back seat. Like trying to dive into a
pool, except your feet are locked to the ground. Then start the next
dive (to the other side) before it feels like you've finished the
prior one. Not exactly orthodox terminology, but if you've gotten
comfy with sitting back, getting forward really does feel that
different.

bw

Old January 10th 05, 04:31 AM
VtSkier

On 2005-01-10, The Real Bev penned:

VtSkier wrote:

I've been dragging my poles for 50 years, don't worry about it.

Glad to hear you say that. Theory has it that you plant to provide some
sort of timing for the turn, but that sounds sort of like saying "oink"
before you take each step just to keep your walking, uhhh, something... Why
do I need to signal my brain before making a turn?

In the old days (har), when you unweighted to
initiate your turn, a very powerful turn was the
following:

From a traverse, bend your knees slightly more
than they are bent for the "neutral" traverse.
As you bend your knees, bring the arm and pole
up in anticipation of the pole plant. As you
plant the pole, straighten your legs which has
the effect of flattening your skis and taking
some of the weight off them. The spot where the
pole is becomes something like a center point
for your turn. Finish the turn by releasing the
pole and bending your knees which has the effect
of setting your edges and creating a platform
from which you initiate your next turn.

Repeat as necessary. Of course you lower body
is "crossing under" your upper body as you
are making your turn. And you are switching
your weight from one ski to the other.

This is actually a very strong turn which I still
use when the going gets steep. The amount you
edge when you are "creating a platform from
which you initiate your next turn" controls
how much speed you scrub off with each turn.

It is a skidded turn as opposed to a carved
turn which tends not to scrub off much speed
at all.

Works good in bumps and on generally steep
gnarly terrain. If it's a little bumpy or with
"terrain features (covered rocks, logs, stumps)",
but not "patterned" bumps you might find on a
bump run, you can use the bumps to augment your
unweight movement which reduces the effort needed
to turn and often will get the tails of your skis
off the ground. If you are far enough forward, you
will only lift the tails. If you lift the whole
ski, you are in the backseat.

I've been told to plant in order to give myself a point around which to turn.
I tend to "shop around" in moguls, seeking that one perfect bump around which
to turn. The assertive plant is supposed to cue me to assertively turn around
that spot. Amazingly enough, it does work when I do it.

Yes, but, an assertive pole PLANT can result in allowing your arm to
come around behind you. The PLANT is OK if you immediately release
it by tilting your hand forward so the point comes off the ground
without bringing your arm back. This is why I suggest usually to
not make the pole plant very assertive. Keeping forward is more
important than having a point turn around. If you are in the back
seat you probably can't turn where you want to.

I find the tactile sensation of my pole tip moving through the snow to be a
cue which helps my balance. I certainly don't DRAG it hard enough to cause
any actual force against my body.

When turning to slow down, I tend to drag the poles assertively, in the
manner of one who sticks one's foot out of the car and drags it on the
ground when the brakes fail. (No, I didn't actually do it, but I THOUGHT
about it.)

Hrm, sounds like a good way to lose a foot without actually stopping the car.

I tend to drag as a feeler, kind of like vtskier is describing. It gives me a
sensation of "Oh, there's the mountain." I'm sure it doesn't look all that
dignified or cool, though.

Actually nobody is noticing.

I'm also one of those guys who put their hands behind the back with the
thumbs locked, body slightly bent forward and with skis fairly wide apart
when trying to make time on a flat runout. Don't know why, been doing it
since I thought it looked Kewl 30 odd years ago. Now it's a habit.

Definitely kewl, especially if you have one of those elf hats.

Nah, Leedom zen model.

I've started doing that, only because my husband does and he always gets
across the flats faster than I do, so I thought maybe that had something to do
with it ... but really ... probably not.

Nah, he's just being kewl. A good tuck with your forearms and poles
on your thighs and hands in front of your nose is a faster position.

I've said a lot about hands. Putting them and keeping them where they
belong and actually using them very little will cure many of the "problems"
you are describing.

Yes. Need lighter poles :-)

My poles are the original Goode carbon fiber "pencil"
poles. I think they were actually rental poles because
the length, via moving the grip and retightening, is
adjustable. They came with a lifetime warranty, are
heavy as lead and I've had them for about 10 years now
and they are excellent for beating the crap out of a
snowboarder who hits me or gave me s--- for reprimanding
him for riding under a closed trail rope.

I got lighter poles. Didn't help =P They do have a very high "kewl" factor,
though (leki's with detachable straps).

Man, those Leki's with the detachable straps (the ones that stay on your
hands when you disconnect from your poles) are the apex of kewl.

Old January 10th 05, 04:49 AM
ant

"VtSkier" wrote in message

IME(experience), calf muscles hurting has a lot to do with boots
being too tight, or not supporting your ankles well enough.

or too much short-turn training.

Seriously, sore muscles are due to what you're doing with them, not the sort
of boots or skis or poles you are using.

A good cheat for the first week of the season, when DOMS always hits, is
compression tights. I have not found them in the US yet, although they are
in every ski shop in Oz, and the footballers wear them too for training.
I'd love to know where they are available in the US, as they'd be perfect
for people whose ski holiday is often ruined by sore legs. www.skins.com.au
is the mob who supplies them in Australia. They are truly magic. I wear them
for my first week of skiing twice a year; I used to spend about a week in
agony, unable to sit or stand without sighing gustily, and they'd flicker at
night. That's the whole legs, not just bits of them. Now, nothing.

ant