hard pocket stone Vs soft gummi stone

Old December 13th 04, 11:47 PM

Default hard pocket stone Vs soft gummi stone

if I was to get only one, which one is more useful.

- I plan to get the edge bevel tool.
- both stone are about $9 - $10

thanks

Old December 13th 04, 11:58 PM
Mike T

if I was to get only one, which one is more useful.

- I plan to get the edge bevel tool.
- both stone are about $9 - $10

It all depends on what you hope to use them for. A gummi stone is
something you apply with just your hands, it doesn't work with a bevel tool,
and it is only used for de-burring edges.

If my "hard pocket stone" you mean a diamond stone, then it *might* work
with a bevel tool if it is file-shaped. Diamond stones are good for
deburring and polishing edges, and also for handling situations where your
edges get case-hardened by an impact and become harder than a regular file.
Using a bevel tool with a diamond stone is only useful for *maintaining* a
beveled edge, you don't remove enough steel to *create* a beveled edge. For
that you need a regular file.

Mike T

Old December 14th 04, 12:19 AM

The hard pocket stone I found is not file size and is definitely not a
diamond stone.
it's the same size as the gummi stone (3' x 1' x 0.5' ). only
difference is that it's hard.
if I remember correctly , both the gummi stone and pocket say they're
for polishing and deburring.
hence the confusion.

what does it mean to deburr edges. do you actually rub the stone againt
the corner point of the edge?

Old December 14th 04, 12:30 AM
Mike T

what does it mean to deburr edges. do you actually rub the stone againt
the corner point of the edge?

"Burrs" are small rough spots on your edge. I always run a diamond stone
and then a gummi stone along the wide edge and along the base edge to remove
burrs, it generally works. Then I will run the gummi stone along the sharp
"corner" once; gummi stones will not dull edges.

I'm not 100% clear on which tasks you want to be able to accomplish with
your tools. I personally think a diamond stone would be a better first
purchase, you can get a small one for about $10. This will let you do a
wider range of tasks.

http://www.tognar.com/deburr_polishi...nes_tools.html

Scroll down to:

Pocket DMT Diamond Stones- 2.75" length

Mike T

Old December 14th 04, 12:56 AM

I'm not 100% clear on which tasks you want to be able to accomplish
with
your tools

my edges are a little beaten (a lot of burrs). and some damage after
going over a rock .
I just want to get the edges nice again and maintain them.

I though I can get them sharp and burr free with the bevel tool,
then I just run the gummi stone along the sharp corner afterwards?.
if I get the bevel tool, I really don't need a diamond stone , right?

Old December 14th 04, 03:29 AM

Diamond stone is a precision tool. Proceed with caution!

For good results you need a quality file guide for the side edge and a
vice. Next, something to do the base edge (fine black sand paper is a
cheap option) helps but is not required. I rub a gummi stone along the
base edge being careful not to ruin the structure of the base with good
results.

If you can only have one tool get the RED gummi stone. It's a bit
harder than the toko and slightly more aggressive.

Do some reading at Togner Tools.

Old December 17th 04, 02:46 PM
todd

"Burrs" are small rough spots on your edge. I always run a diamond
stone
and then a gummi stone along the wide edge and along the base edge to
remove
burrs, it generally works. Then I will run the gummi stone along the

sharp
"corner" once; gummi stones will not dull edges.

Why?

I never understood this and thus haven't used a gummi stone yet. I see
people run the gummi stone across a sharp edge. Why doesn't this dull
the edge? Seems to me that a rough service like that capable of
removing burrs would also remove an edge.

Please explain, as I really don't understand the tool and sure would
like something to easily remove a burr while on a trip.

thanks,
-todd

Old December 21st 04, 06:33 PM

I ended up getting a rubber deburrer which is probably similar to a
gummy stone.

Regarding why it will not dull, but will deburr...
It's abrasive, but it's also soft. imagine dropping a gummy bear in
sand. the outside would be rough , but it's still soft.

when you rub it against the flat side of the edge (to de-rust ,
de-burr), it's abrasive.
when you push it against the corner (sharp) edges, it'll give.
hope that's clear