Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

Old December 11th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
RightEagle

Default Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

Has anyone ever thought about this, It does not seem like there would
be a lot, but I suppose any amount might matter? Read this press
release, it kind of makes you think.

http://www.enviromountain.com/Press_Release.htm

Old December 11th 07, 10:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:51:38 -0800 (PST), RightEagle
wrote:

Has anyone ever thought about this, It does not seem like there would
be a lot, but I suppose any amount might matter? Read this press
release, it kind of makes you think.

http://www.enviromountain.com/Press_Release.htm

I think you are Greg Barker or work for him.
Old December 11th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Forget the product, since there's only one ski wax this company shows,
which from a skier's standpoint is not credible in spite of their
claims about it being faster (is the site a hoax?). Instead, I'd like
to hear more knowledgeable opinions about their pollution claim. Like
the OP, I'm wondering if skiing really does flush substantial, or even
appreciable, amounts of wax into ground water via the process of
ski-snow interaction? And how the hell would you measure that outside
of a laboratory?

rm

Old December 13th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Around here (Twin Cities) 3M has gotten quite a reputation for dumping
or deposing of barrels of perforinated chemicals into either the river
or landfills. On one hand, the employees who've had extensive contact
with the chemicals don't seem to show problems and the chemicals are
supposed to be inert, but on the other hand, they're showing up all
over the globe in very remote places. (My memory is a bit fuzzy on
this.) I've wondered if ski waxes could also contribute to the same
thing. I have kilos of wax at home and eventually, all that will
either end up in a landfill (garbage) or on some xc ski trails.

Jay
Old December 16th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

are
supposed to be inert,

Fluorinated carbons like teflon are indeed inert at room temperature,
but from what I remember, outgas a fosgen analog when heated up.
Theoretically, the transition to the outgassing regime can be smooth,
so one can imagine outgassing to begin at iron temperatures. I wonder
if anyone has performed measurements. I have baked teflon at 100 degs
C under mild vacuum and I got it to outgas quite well.

Google "polymer fever".