Colorado in April?

Old February 3rd 14, 08:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
toller

Default Colorado in April?

A few months ago I posted here about my proposed Spring vacation the first week of April. After some advice I settled on skiing near SLC for a few days and hiking in Moab UT.

Now I find it costs $700 and takes 11 hours to fly to SLC, while Denver is $400 and 6 hours. Even though Moab is 2 hours further away, it still makes sense to shoot for Denver if that is reasonable. My wife doesn't mind driving if the roads are okay.

So that brings up three questions...

1) Would there be anyplace between Denver and Moab that is likely to have good snow in early April? Please bear in mind that I am looking for groomed trails rather than powder; I expect there might not be good powder anywhere that late, but since I don't want powder...
2) Is there any place reasonably warm nearer Denver to hike than Moab.
3) Is the road from Denver to Moab likely to be clean that time of year?

thanks much.

oh, and a 4th question...
4) I have heard that the west coast is terrible this year, and SLC isn't much better. How about Colorado? No one on the ski lift seems to have been there, so I haven't heard anything.
Old February 3rd 14, 09:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Monday, February 3, 2014 1:00:47 PM UTC-7, toller wrote:

Now I find it costs $700 and takes 11 hours to fly to SLC, while Denver is $400 and 6 hours. Even though Moab is 2 hours further away, it still makes sense to shoot for Denver if that is reasonable. My wife doesn't mind driving if the roads are okay.

Layovers to SLC that you don't have to Denver? Since they are only about an hour apart by air.

1) Would there be anyplace between Denver and Moab that is likely to have good snow in early April? Please bear in mind that I am looking for groomed trails rather than powder; I expect there might not be good powder anywhere that late, but since I don't want powder...

Telluride is between. Have to check in April for snow. Crested Butte is down there too.

2) Is there any place reasonably warm nearer Denver to hike than Moab.

idk

Old February 3rd 14, 10:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, February 3, 2014 1:00:47 PM UTC-7, toller wrote:
A few months ago I posted here about my proposed Spring vacation the first week of April. After some advice I settled on skiing near SLC for a few days and hiking in Moab UT.

Now I find it costs $700 and takes 11 hours to fly to SLC, while Denver is $400 and 6 hours. Even though Moab is 2 hours further away, it still makes sense to shoot for Denver if that is reasonable. My wife doesn't mind driving if the roads are okay.

So that brings up three questions...

1) Would there be anyplace between Denver and Moab that is likely to have good snow in early April? Please bear in mind that I am looking for groomed trails rather than powder; I expect there might not be good powder anywhere that late, but since I don't want powder...

Yes, all the I-70 resorts will be in good shape.

2) Is there any place reasonably warm nearer Denver to hike than Moab.

Yes but it depends on the weather. The Great Sand Dunes comes to mind.
http://www.everytrail.com/best/hiking-colorado
Snow should be cleared from the lower elevations by that time of year. Don't try any 14er's. Fruita should be good around then. Anything around Boulder or on the Front Range should be in good shape but may be muddy.

3) Is the road from Denver to Moab likely to be clean that time of year?

Yes unless it's snowing. I-70 doesn't close often. cotrip.org

thanks much.

oh, and a 4th question...

4) I have heard that the west coast is terrible this year, and SLC isn't much better. How about Colorado? No one on the ski lift seems to have been there, so I haven't heard anything.

Yes, it's been good this year. Last Thursday and Friday were the first time Summit County schools have been closed in the last four years. We are in a big storm pattern and have been getting storms rolling in every few days. Breckenridge is approaching an 80" base so there will be great coverage through the spring. All the I-70 resorts have been getting above average snow for the last few weeks.
http://www.onthesnow.com/
Old February 3rd 14, 10:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 2/3/2014 3:00 PM, toller wrote:
A few months ago I posted here about my proposed Spring vacation the first week of April. After some advice I settled on skiing near SLC for a few days and hiking in Moab UT.

Now I find it costs $700 and takes 11 hours to fly to SLC, while Denver is $400 and 6 hours. Even though Moab is 2 hours further away, it still makes sense to shoot for Denver if that is reasonable. My wife doesn't mind driving if the roads are okay.

remember that the airport in SLC is only a half hour from the lifts
while DEN is a solid 2 hours plus, maybe more depending on the waether.

So that brings up three questions...

1) Would there be anyplace between Denver and Moab that is likely to have good snow in early April? Please bear in mind that I am looking for groomed trails rather than powder; I expect there might not be good powder anywhere that late, but since I don't want powder...

Yeah, A Basin and Loveland for sure. Anywhere above 8k should be fine
and that's most Colorado resorts.

2) Is there any place reasonably warm nearer Denver to hike than Moab.

Denver itself? The hills around Boulder? Depends on what you're looking
for, but there should be some nice hiking to be found at lower
elevations throughout the Denver area. It won't be the same scenery as
Moab, of course.

3) Is the road from Denver to Moab likely to be clean that time of year?

It's I-70 most of the way. Unless you are trying to drive it in the
middle of a storm you should be fine.

4) I have heard that the west coast is terrible this year, and SLC isn't much better. How about Colorado? No one on the ski lift seems to have been there, so I haven't heard anything.

Reports I've heard from Beaver Creek are that it's not the greatest soft
snow, but if you're just looking to ski groomers you should be fine.

--
//Walt
Old February 4th 14, 01:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

How about Colorado? No one on the ski lift seems to have been there, so I haven't heard anything.

Summit County has had great snow this year, measured in feet and not in inches.

Yes, it is two hours from the airport to the ski slopes, but that is not a big deal. There are many places to stay between Denver and Breckenridge, Keystone and A-basin, the 3 Summit County ski areas. And places to stay at Keystone and Breckenridge. A-Basin has skiing well into June most years, I have actually skied there on July 4. Unless there is something specific you want in Utah, there is plenty of variety in Summit County. Plus Telluride, and several other ski areas such as Copper Mountain, Vail, Aspen, Monarch, Winter Park, and on and on.
Old February 4th 14, 03:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Monday, February 3, 2014 6:34:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:

It's sounding to me that you have asked the right questions. Looked into possibilities and now you have to make a decision and go with the flow. You could pay the extra for airline tickets that you can modify? Take cloths and equipment that will provide recreation despite which weather you get? And just go and make the best of it. It's not as though you are playing tennis and can take advantage of artificial climate.

I had seeing Bangkok planned last month. And while I did get to the Hard Rock (hardly on my list) I mostly avoided it due to the political unrest. But the beaches at Rayong were nothing to sneeze at and something I would have missed otherwise as this trip was more centered on the interior and golf.

Take your skis. And prepare to rent bikes or hike to some hot springs or play some golf (if that's and interest). Just go and have a good time if your exact plans don't work out.

Old February 8th 14, 12:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Beaver Creek?!

Obviously I don't know much about this, but it's been 35 years since I was above 8500'. Seems to me that it might be prudent to go someplace that is not terribly high.
They claim they will be open until 4/20, so they ought to have decent snow. It is right on I70, so there won't be a lot of time spent getting there. Their hotels seem more reasonably price than other places; and they seem to do a lot of grooming.
Only drawback I can see is that there aren't any long groomed blacks, but I am starting to prefer the easier stuff anyhow.

Does all this make sense? Am I missing something? Thanks.

Yeah, SLC is two stops and Denver is just one; so that turns 6 hours into 11.

Old February 8th 14, 03:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Friday, February 7, 2014 5:40:20 PM UTC-7, Toller wrote:
Beaver Creek?!

I lived there for a winter. Birds of Prey was still a traverse out to powder ski (1994 ish?). Nice place. Kinda on the fancy side. But the resort is up the valley a bit. The town along the interstate is non descript. Only a few miles from Vail so you'll have that variety.

Obviously I don't know much about this, but it's been 35 years since I was above 8500'. Seems to me that it might be prudent to go someplace that is not terribly high.

Unless you've got some medical issue you're overthinking it. _Everywhere_ is going to be over 8500 at the top.

They claim they will be open until 4/20, so they ought to have decent snow. It is right on I70, so there won't be a lot of time spent getting there.. Their hotels seem more reasonably price than other places; and they seem to do a lot of grooming.

Only drawback I can see is that there aren't any long groomed blacks, but I am starting to prefer the easier stuff anyhow.

Groomed and "black" don't belong in the same sentence. They all allow snoreboreds so they will all be entirely "groomed" to one degree or another.

Does all this make sense? Am I missing something? Thanks.

Make a decision. Leave options. Go with the flow. It will be what it will be as far as conditions go. Attitude will be everything.

Yeah, SLC is two stops and Denver is just one; so that turns 6 hours into 11.

IC

Old February 8th 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Friday, February 7, 2014 5:40:20 PM UTC-7, Toller wrote:
Beaver Creek?!

Obviously I don't know much about this, but it's been 35 years since I was above 8500'. Seems to me that it might be prudent to go someplace that is not terribly high.

They claim they will be open until 4/20, so they ought to have decent snow. It is right on I70, so there won't be a lot of time spent getting there.. Their hotels seem more reasonably price than other places; and they seem to do a lot of grooming.

Only drawback I can see is that there aren't any long groomed blacks, but I am starting to prefer the easier stuff anyhow.

Does all this make sense? Am I missing something? Thanks.

Yeah, SLC is two stops and Denver is just one; so that turns 6 hours into 11.

That time of year, the higher you go the better the snow. Beaver Creek won't be bad but by that time of year the bottom will all be slush. Sometimes up to your knees. But that's not really a problem because there's plenty of good skiing on top. In fact, that's one of the nice things about Beaver Creek for intermediate skiers. There are a lot of great easier trails on top and you can get that big mountain experience without being an expert.

As far as long groomed blacks, there are a few: http://one.prance.com/php/iPrance/BeaverCreek/index.php and they usually keep Grouse Mountain in pretty good shape.
Old February 8th 14, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 2/7/14 4:40 PM, Toller wrote:

long groomed blacks

Chuckle.

April in Colorado? Toller[_3_] Alpine Skiing 25 November 6th 13 08:43 PM
Where to go mid april 08 JP[_2_] European Ski Resorts 8 October 20th 07 05:46 PM
Colorado conditions last week of March, early April blahdoody North American Ski Resorts 1 January 4th 06 12:02 AM
SLC April Jim Strohm Alpine Skiing 1 February 4th 05 02:13 AM
In Colorado For A Ski Trip??? Visit Crested Butte Colorado!!!!! PaulC General 0 February 21st 04 07:35 PM