New boots, adjust bindings?

Old December 2nd 04, 06:49 AM
Lisa Horton

Default New boots, adjust bindings?

Got some new boots today at the Midnight Madness sale. They're 3mm
shorter than my old boots. Is that enough of a difference to require
adjustments of any sort to the bindings?

Lisa
Old December 2nd 04, 09:46 AM
Larry Marino

Lots of people adjust bindings themselves or have a friend do them. I have
to go with bringing them into a shop with your skis when you get your
tuneup. Gonna have to get those edges sharpened anyways, right? The
problem with doing it yourself or getting a friend to do it is that your
trusting your safety to someone that isn't really knowledgeable (certified)
to do it.

Old December 2nd 04, 12:04 PM
Harry Weiner

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:49:32 -0800, Lisa Horton
wrote this crap:

Got some new boots today at the Midnight Madness sale. They're 3mm
shorter than my old boots. Is that enough of a difference to require
adjustments of any sort to the bindings?

Just crank them all the way up.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old December 2nd 04, 04:59 PM
lal_truckee

Lisa Horton wrote:
Got some new boots today at the Midnight Madness sale. They're 3mm
shorter than my old boots. Is that enough of a difference to require
adjustments of any sort to the bindings?

Depends. You need to check the pre-load (AKA forward pressure) indicator
and see if it's in the proper range. If so, no length adjustment is
required; if not, you have to move the binding heel so that the pre-load
is correct.

This is independent of a binding test; If the skis are used and new to
you, you probably want to get them tested - they will set the length, so
don't worry about a thing. If they're your regular skis and you have
confidence in the release setting, 3mm boot sole difference probably
won't change the release at all, but theoretically 1mm can move you to a
different release setting. Look at the DIN chart I reference below to
see how boot length affects release setting.

http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/din.html
Old December 2nd 04, 05:52 PM
sjjohnston

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
Got some new boots today at the Midnight Madness sale. They're 3mm
shorter than my old boots. Is that enough of a difference to require
adjustments of any sort to the bindings?

As others said, you do need to adjust the forward pressure. It's easy to do
*if* you know how to do it (at least on every binding I've ever had). If you
don't know how to do it, find someone who does. A ski shop is a pretty good
place to look.

Old December 2nd 04, 06:14 PM
Lisa Horton

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the detailed response Lal, even if much of it is gobbledygook
to me.

In column 4, the range of 291-310mm is where my boots fall, both old and
new. Old=308 and New=305.

I don't mind spending the money, and I've bought products and services
from my local ski shop. But I was kind of hoping to be able to switch
back and forth to make sure that I like the new ones better.

Ah well, I guess it's a trip to the shop for me. With Christmas coming
up, I don't need to be around heavily discounted and tempting ski stuff
'till next year

Lisa
Old December 2nd 04, 06:14 PM
Lisa Horton

Kam Ho wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

Got some new boots today at the Midnight Madness sale. They're 3mm
shorter than my old boots. Is that enough of a difference to require
adjustments of any sort to the bindings?

YES. But it's such a simple job (takes less than a minute) that if you
don't have a knowledgeable friend to do it for you, then a ski
technician should not charge much or may even do it for free if you
buy something in the shop.
--

Thanks Kam, sounds like a trip to the ski shop for me.

Lisa
Old December 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
Lisa Horton

Alas, I already had the skis in for the pre-season work. An expensive
tune-up, if you count the lovely pants on sale that I simply HAD to have

And I'm definitely NOT knowledgeable or qualified to do ANY adjustments
other than, well, boot buckles

Lisa

Old December 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
Lisa Horton

sjjohnston wrote:

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
Got some new boots today at the Midnight Madness sale. They're 3mm
shorter than my old boots. Is that enough of a difference to require
adjustments of any sort to the bindings?

As others said, you do need to adjust the forward pressure. It's easy to do
*if* you know how to do it (at least on every binding I've ever had). If you
don't know how to do it, find someone who does. A ski shop is a pretty good
place to look.

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Lisa
Old December 2nd 04, 06:48 PM
lal_truckee

Lisa Horton wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

[...]

You said elsewhere that you've already had the skis/bindings serviced
and tested; your old & new boots are in one column so the DIN doesn't
have to be changed. If you can get someone to show you where the forward
pressure indicator is on your bindings you should be able to see if it's
in the proper range for both boot pairs - it's conceivable. Bindings
have this forward pressure thingie so that some variations in boot
lengths can be accommodated. You might be "good to go" and it should be
easy to tell.

One possible problem - the binding release assumes the boot sole and
toebox shapes are within DIN specs for boots - basically this means the
boot sole/toebox shouldn't be damaged or cut or excessively rough - you
can tell by just looking. If you see something questionable, take them
to a shop.

But like I said - you may be good to go already, using both boot pairs -
just check a couple of things.