K2 Chinch Binding

Old November 20th 04, 06:10 PM
Arvin Chang

id no@id wrote in message ...

The P1MD should lock if you set them up right - they sort of snap into
position. And you can give them a smack to make the fold down before
getting on the lift.

Ah... yes, that worked, I was kind of afraid to push too hard on my
highback and breaking them... I'm a little confused at the "no
screwdriver" bolts that control my highback rotation. I've flipped
them out as I could see the hinges, but there are very difficult to
rotate and I'm afraid of snapping off the plastic levers... looking
more closely, I see the little blue spacer thing is already compressed
and cracked on the back binding (from overtightening I suspect).
Should I take a wrench to it? Hey, can I order those parts from Burton
directly?

Now, shouldn't you be developing software? And I better go find my wife :-)

Well, I'm actually on holiday now for Thanksgiving. We are moving our
entire company to a new headquarters and I had to pack up everything
already. I do avoid checking the forums too much when work is busy,
but... our system takes about 45 minutes for clean build and some test
runs take up to an hour... so you are sitting there waiting anyways...
some people go out for a smoke break. I occasionally jump online and
see what's going on.
Old November 21st 04, 02:10 PM
Saim Kim

I could be wrong, because it would seem to me that with the K2 Cinch,
if it was a sketchy situation like the one mentioned above, you could
leave the highback up, and just strap in normally - using the
convenient step-in feature for less intense situations. I mean that's
why these bindings are supposedly "better" than the Flows.

You're right. That fixes problem 1

Thats the exact advantage I see over "normal" strap bindings. Afterall its
just an addition and not a must! Hopefully everything is durable enough, but
only time will tell...

Later,
Saim

Old November 22nd 04, 07:03 PM
id

Arvin Chang wrote:
id no@id wrote in message ...

The P1MD should lock if you set them up right - they sort of snap into
position. And you can give them a smack to make the fold down before
getting on the lift.

Ah... yes, that worked, I was kind of afraid to push too hard on my
highback and breaking them... I'm a little confused at the "no
screwdriver" bolts that control my highback rotation. I've flipped
them out as I could see the hinges, but there are very difficult to
rotate and I'm afraid of snapping off the plastic levers... looking
more closely, I see the little blue spacer thing is already compressed
and cracked on the back binding (from overtightening I suspect).
Should I take a wrench to it? Hey, can I order those parts from Burton
directly?

I just fitted my warranty replacement highback to remind myself. On my
bindings (2 years old) the lever is aluminium and the plastic
washer/spacer is black. With the levers flipped out I've tightened them
finger-tight, then folded them down. Seems secure. I got some spare
assemblies from the dealer - they told me that it's easy to lose them if
they're not tight enough. I have enough spares for both bindings (4
assemblies) and could send you a set if you get stuck - assuming they're
the same. Hmm. Looking again at the bindings, the amount of plastic
around independent forward lean pivot is a bit of a worry...

Iain
Old November 22nd 04, 08:49 PM
lonerider

id wrote:
Arvin Chang wrote:

Hey, can I order those parts from Burton directly?

I just fitted my warranty replacement highback to remind myself. On

my
bindings (2 years old) the lever is aluminium and the plastic
washer/spacer is black. With the levers flipped out I've tightened

them
finger-tight, then folded them down. Seems secure. I got some spare
assemblies from the dealer - they told me that it's easy to lose them

if
they're not tight enough. I have enough spares for both bindings (4
assemblies) and could send you a set if you get stuck - assuming

they're
the same. Hmm. Looking again at the bindings, the amount of plastic
around independent forward lean pivot is a bit of a worry...

Iain

I called up Burton on Saturday and they are going to ship me a binding
kit free of charge, so I should be good. I think the previous owner was
a bit aggressive in tightening the levers and they caused the spacers
to crack one of the bindings. I wonder if the binding kit comes with a
spare set of highbacks - I did notice that Burton's warranty
specifically covers highbacks damaged due to low chairlifts. I'm still
not really a pro-Burton person, but I have to admit that was a nice
touch (and to say that I was very satisfied with their customer support
from my experience). I think the forward lean pivot (you mean the hinge
in the middle of the Forward Lean ADjuster?) should hold mainly because
it doesn't get strained very much when locked down (from what I see).
--Arvin

Old November 22nd 04, 09:01 PM
id

lonerider wrote:

I think the forward lean pivot (you mean the hinge
in the middle of the Forward Lean ADjuster?) should hold mainly because
it doesn't get strained very much when locked down (from what I see).

No, I mean the pivots on either side that allow the highback to adjust
to the forward lean setting without fiddling with the highback rotation
(i.e. the levers etc. we're talking about) which was necessary on
previous Burton binding incarnations. There's just not enough plastic
around the metal pivots - in 2004/5 model they're replaced with flexible
plastic rather than a pivot at all.

Iain
Old November 23rd 04, 07:34 AM
Dmitry

"toddjb" wrote

highback for normal riding. That'd be nice. Cuz busted highbacks
suck, and having to think about dropping it down all season long
sux as well!

This is no big deal. Just get the habit of kicking it down right at
the moment when you're lined up and ready for the chair to slide in
behind you. You have to turn and look back anyway.

Old November 23rd 04, 08:38 AM
Switters

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:34:20 GMT, "Dmitry"
allegedly wrote:

"toddjb" wrote

highback for normal riding. That'd be nice. Cuz busted highbacks
suck, and having to think about dropping it down all season long
sux as well!

This is no big deal. Just get the habit of kicking it down right at
the moment when you're lined up and ready for the chair to slide in
behind you. You have to turn and look back anyway.

Nice idea, but the Mission highbacks are locked into place, so you can't
just kick them down.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old November 23rd 04, 04:19 PM
bri719

Dmitry wrote:

This is no big deal. Just get the habit of kicking it down right at
the moment when you're lined up and ready for the chair to slide in
behind you. You have to turn and look back anyway.

yeah, I got in the habit of flipping mine down before / during the lift
when I was learning anyway, now I do it almost instinctively. the
reason, I would occassionally fall getting off the lift (or have some
complete newb drag me down with them), and falling on your highback
really hurts sometimes. especially in those "sensitive" areas.

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old November 23rd 04, 08:37 PM
Dmitry

"Switters" wrote

highback for normal riding. That'd be nice. Cuz busted highbacks
suck, and having to think about dropping it down all season long
sux as well!

This is no big deal. Just get the habit of kicking it down right at
the moment when you're lined up and ready for the chair to slide in
behind you. You have to turn and look back anyway.

Nice idea, but the Mission highbacks are locked into place, so you can't
just kick them down.

You don't have to lock them, right? If I recall correctly you can
just leave the clamp hanging there and the highback will act just
like the regular "kickable" one