Notch Mtn. TR

Old June 12th 06, 03:55 PM

Default Notch Mtn. TR

Well, normally I don't post too many trip reports 'cause I don't care to
have more skiers tracking up my lines :-). Most Utards though don't ski
unless it's right next to the road, so I'm not too worried about this area
getting tracked out.

http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/060611/notch.jpg

The trip seemed alot farther than it was, due to the intermittant snow
berms. Where I was on or near a trail, it was still 3-4 steps up a snow
bank, and then back down, loose the trail, find the trail, downed trees,
etc.

I brought the H2O filter, but didn't use it due to all the snowmelt running
off of Notch Mtn. The mutt did a fine job and slept where she could:

http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/060611/trooper.jpg
(Mt. Watson in the background)

I just wanted to go check out something new and found a few new lines for
next year. The NE side of W. Notch Mountain has a nice couloir, but it
might end in a cliff as the line I skied did (darn topo maps are useless
sometimes). The N-NW side of Watson holds some promising lines as well.

http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/060611/timp.jpg
(Watson foreground left, Mt. Timpanogogs background center).

Nice day. Frozen solid in the morning, warm in the afternoon. The
suncups/runnels were heinous near Watson, but the N. facing lines were
fairly smooth. I think it was a 4-beer trip, 3 were not enough.

-K
Old June 13th 06, 05:17 AM

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
unless it's right next to the road, so I'm not too worried about this area

It is next to the road. You can see it.

Old June 13th 06, 03:32 PM

(Eugene Miya) wrote in news:448e4a60$1@darkstar:

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
unless it's right next to the road, so I'm not too worried about this
area

It is next to the road. You can see it.

No roads from where the pics where taken:

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=4...24&datum=nad83

It was more of a hike...just wanted to do something different. Looks like
it's going to freeze again later this week? 'Might need to give it another
try.

Need a sled for next season, although those hanging snowfields perched
above cliffs/rockbands probably aren't such a good idea in the Winter.
Reconnoiter.

-K

Old June 13th 06, 05:20 PM

Bob Lee wrote in
:

There are some very nice lines there. Thanks for putting up the shots
- my current philosophy is that the only US backcountry skiing in
danger of being over-run is roadside Wasatch, so no need to be
tight-lipped about areas that you can't get to via the city bus lines.

De nada. Looks like you and John had a good time on Indy Pass. Gnarly
road going into Aspen.

Ahh, I bet the Coloradans might beg to differ w/ you: Butler Gulch,
Berthoud Pass (West Boulder) and the granddaddy...Vail Pass are quite busy.
I'm sure there are others in the Pac NW and in AK (Turnagain, etc.).

The crowds in the Wasatch are somepin' else. I suppose roadside
Wasatch bc skiing is the Vail(tm) of the backcountry.

The conditions truly are amazing though. The upper parts of those three
canyons are magnets for Pacific storms. I've driven over there twice in
the past two years, otherwise I sneak in from the sides. Sure, there are
always lines to be had in the obscure drainages, but it ain't backcountry.

It's a sacrifice area now. Let 'em go, everyone go, choppers, snowcats,
sleds, lifts, roads...have at it! Meanwhile here on the dry side, we've
been blessed with two nice winters in a row, not as long of a season as the
Wasatch, but putting a dent in the 7-year drought doesn't hurt. Water is
still filling the tank from the Spring, I doubt the well pump will come on
until August.

-K
Old June 18th 06, 07:45 PM

Bob Lee wrote in
:

Now we're talking about going up this weekend to hit this'n:
http://www.swcp.com/~rlee/independ01.jpg

So, how was Grizzly?

IME, nothing, nothing at all compares with the Wasatch. I'm always
stunned at the highway skin tracks and instantly tracked out shots.
And people aren't as friendly as they could be there, either.

You mean people like me, a crotchety old man? As long as they don't drop
in on me or trigger a slide above me, I can be fairly compatible.

I s'pose so, but I can't get over the feeling that allowing heliskiing
in the Wasatch is like allowing dirt-bike riding in a crowded city
park. Someone's gonna get hurt. I donated to SOC.

As someone we know said...that might be what needs to happen before the
Powderturds move on? It's no fun until...

Another nice weekend with close to a freeze the night before (snow was
super stable, but the rocks were not):

http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/.../TheCircus.jpg

Whole gaggle of folks this year:

http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/060617/gang1.jpg
http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/060617/gang2.jpg

Mike showing the telemarkers how to lay them down:

http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/060617/mj1.jpg
http://www.allwest.net/~kurt/images/060617/mj2.jpg

Well, that's about it for me this snow season. Maybe one more day up on
some ice cube East of here? Time to start gathering firewood for next
season.

-K