Flow Amp 9 Binding: Should I?

Old November 20th 05, 07:17 PM

P.S.

Seeing as these boots are constructed such that they are "barely larger
than street shoes", how will they work in keeping my toes warm?!
I've got terrible circulation... have had some nasty frost-bites on my
toes before, and would like to avoid any more (Again, this is one of
the reason that the Flow have caught my attention: distributing the
pressure on the foot).

Old November 20th 05, 07:53 PM

Mike wrote:
Lonerider,

Cool, I'm really interested in the F22... the only thing is, I keep
seeing the keyword "flex" in the product description. Is this the kind
of "flex" I want to avoid as a big Freerider? And how will these boots
work in Flow bindings.

BTW, I think I've narrowed down my pick of a flow binding: the Pro 11.
I was told that flow will go with any boot, and that in fact the Flow
boots are not entirely too good. So, how would the Salomon F22's pair
up with the Flow Pro 11's.

You are correct that you want to avoid too much flex as a big
freerider. I've tried on the F22 and it is decently stiff the one
caveat being I weigh 60 lbs less and so it may not be stiff enough for
you. The F24 is stiffer... I have no idea how these boots work in
Flows. Maybe someone else can comment. On a separate note, the Pro 11
looks like a good choice.

P.S.

Seeing as these boots are constructed such that they are "barely larger
than street shoes", how will they work in keeping my toes warm?!
I've got terrible circulation... have had some nasty frost-bites on my
toes before, and would like to avoid any more (Again, this is one of
the reason that the Flow have caught my attention: distributing the
pressure on the foot).

I think you need to work on getting better fitting boots and bindings
so you don't have to overtighten them to make them work. In general,
you shouldn't need to tighten any of the forefoot laces, just the ones
above your ankle. I find that greatly reduces footpain and increases
circulation. Similarly with the straps on a binding, don't crank them
down... if you have to do this to secure your boot down, then you
bindings don't fit your boots well. This goes back to the important
point that no matter how good a boot/binding is with all the features
and stuff... they are pretty worthless if it doesn't fit. Make sure the
boot fits you extremely well, it should feet *very* snug to the point
of a little squeezed, but with no pressure points or having your toes
curled. If you toes do have warmth issues, I suggest going with a more
active approach to getting them warm - heat packs. Aside from that I
don't really know if the boots will be warm enough for you.

Old November 21st 05, 05:04 PM

On 20 Nov 2005 11:17:26 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

P.S.

Seeing as these boots are constructed such that they are "barely larger
than street shoes", how will they work in keeping my toes warm?!

I haven't noticed any difference compared to my previous traditional
boots.

-- Robert
Old November 21st 05, 05:18 PM

I got flows and in Europe they are cool - in and out easy - especially
with drag lifts on short runs, however when i was in USA they proved a
bind (hee hee!) The nice long runs there mean you can get in and strap
in for ages...

I have started a group on equipment: contribute at will...

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sno...e-world?lnk=li

Flow FL-11 and FL-110 binding Dean Snowboarding 0 March 8th 04 12:34 AM
flow binding warning [email protected] Snowboarding 8 February 18th 04 04:04 PM
flow bindings jakob Snowboarding 1 January 15th 04 04:24 AM
can only ride with my back binding loose - why? Dmitry Snowboarding 8 December 12th 03 02:25 AM
Pilot binding system -- what's the point? Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 1 August 14th 03 03:28 PM