It's all downhill from here...

Old August 24th 03, 05:24 AM
AstroPax

Default It's all downhill from here...

It just occurred to me, November is only about ten weeks away.

From a season past...Alta with a 50" base, November 10th, 2000:

http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro...-10-00_002.htm

We can only hope.

-Astro

Old August 25th 03, 04:10 PM
Ivan Rafn

Feel free to joins us in Europe in week 42 (october). We will all be going
to Hintertux, Soelden, Kaprun ..., whatever to kick the season off.

Oh, and don't forget Worldcup opening in week 43 (25/26 oct. GS).

http://www.fis-ski.com/calendar/worl...lendars2003200
4.pdf

"AstroPax" skrev i en meddelelse
It just occurred to me, November is only about ten weeks away.

From a season past...Alta with a 50" base, November 10th, 2000:

Old August 27th 03, 01:35 PM
AstroPax

On 24 Aug 2003 13:20:01 GMT, "Let Mikey Ski It!"
wrote:

Astro, my credit card is singing. One of those 70-200's is on its way to
me! :0

Cool.

Now all we need is one of those Tele-converters for our Tele-photo
lenses so we can take nice 300mm+ Tele-photoed pics.

Notice how I keep it on-topic by using the term "Tele", three times.

-Astro

Old August 28th 03, 12:15 AM
Kneale Brownson

wrote:

Astro, my credit card is singing. One of those 70-200's is on its way to
me! :0

Cool.

Now all we need is one of those Tele-converters for our Tele-photo
lenses so we can take nice 300mm+ Tele-photoed pics.

Notice how I keep it on-topic by using the term "Tele", three times.

-Astro

That's gotta be a big hunk of glass to haul around. I have an old
(probably predates you guys) Nikkor 300mm F4.5 I used to drag about.
Weighs almost as much as my bag with three Nikon bodies and half a
dozen shorter, more useable lenses. The strap on the leather box for
the 300 finally broke, I think, so I quit carrying it as a routine.
Almost never had much use for it. Pretty hard to zero in on a subject
using it hand-held.

Old August 28th 03, 11:45 PM
lal_truckee

Kneale Brownson wrote:
AstroPax wrote in message . ..

After all, is it not the length of your skis and camera lenses that
determine how good you are at skiing and/or photography?

I don't subscribe to those thoughts. Some of my neatest pix (personal
choice, of course) have been shot through the Fisheye and 28 mm
lenses. I've never skied better, and my ski length has shrunk from
207 cm to 181. I did like "sneaking up" on folks with the 300,
though.

Old August 29th 03, 09:15 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

AstroPax wrote:

Now all we need is one of those Tele-converters for our Tele-photo
lenses so we can take nice 300mm+ Tele-photoed pics.

Yes. The 1.4 tele is supposed to work with an unprecedented no degradation
in picture quality and the 2.0 is supposed to work just fine.

The lens came last night. Schwing! Awesome. It is a pretty hefty lens but
should be great for ski shooting. In case you have not seen this, here is
the best review of the lens with some insightful information on the VR
settings and on how those teleconverters work with it:

http://www.bythom.com/70200VRlens.htm (I have Thom's D100 e-book)

One thing I am now looking for is another small pack for this lens+camera
for skiing. I normally carry the camera in a small waist pack that I then
put in my DaKine Chute pack. Either I spin my pack around and get the
camera out of the pack(s), or I take the small pack out and clip it around
my waist temporarily if I am going to do a series of shots to save some
time. This new setup is too big to use with my current waist pack but I
would like to have something similar. Maybe some sort of tube pack that
would hook to the Chute shoulder strap. Any thoughts? I need to be able to
get the camera out quickly as buddies like Bruno have learned to pop up
fast after a fall and I have to be extra quick (but there are numerous such
opportunities). Plus, there always needs to be something on the gear want
list (besides a teleconverter. And an extension tube for shooting macro
with it. And, ... ).

Notice how I keep it on-topic by using the term "Tele", three times.

Tele tele tele. And, I said "schwing".

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us

Old September 2nd 03, 05:25 PM
MoonMan

In om, Kneale
Brownson typed:
AstroPax wrote in message
. ..
After all, is it not the length of your skis and camera lenses that
determine how good you are at skiing and/or photography?

I don't subscribe to those thoughts. Some of my neatest pix (personal
choice, of course) have been shot through the Fisheye and 28 mm
lenses. I've never skied better, and my ski length has shrunk from
207 cm to 181. I did like "sneaking up" on folks with the 300,
though.

I've never skied better, and my ski length has shrunk from 203 cm to 168.
but this is mainly due to slalom racing and the cost of skis! anyone got any
cheap 171 or 181 1080's?

I think I'd worry if I was carrying $1700 worth of lense around.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old September 3rd 03, 12:35 PM
Richard Walsh

"MoonMan" wrote in
:

(schnipp)

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

Hey Moon,
Not all Uphill is BAD. Without uphill
there couldn't be downhill.

I once had a science fiction dream wherein
the most wonderful destination resort in the
universe was an Earth satellite that was
situated, furnished and rotated so that there
was endless downhill skiing.

The only reason to stop was that you were tired.

I had it all worked out so that if you turned in
one direction you skied away from the lodge and
if you skied in the other direction you skied
toward it.

I had actually worked out some (pseudo) physics
so that it worked, but since the invention of
the holo-deck, the satellite has since gone into
a state of abject disrepair. BTW, don't ask me
what the physics were, I simply don't remember.

R(back in the days when I read a lot of SciFi)W