Helmets on snow?

Old February 12th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Helmets on snow?

On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:13:35 PM UTC-7, comadrejo wrote:
Toller wrote:

Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a

helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?

Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds of

that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get near

rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher, but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either; I am

pretty conservative...)

Short Answer: Bring your helmet.

Long Answer: You are being incredibly neurotic. Planned a vacation. Don't

planned an adventure that will appease your neurosis, it won't be an

enjoyable time. A vacation will have its pluses and minuses.

It is not about falling. Skiing is a always a learning experience, if you

are falling, you are not challenging yourself, and learning from your

mistakes.. Falling should be a part of a lesson, and learning better ski

mechanics, like setting up a turn, learning to ski in different conditions,

and actually liking it...

That is complete bull****!
Old February 12th 14, 05:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 02/11/2014 08:32 AM, lal_truckee wrote:

On 2/10/14 8:29 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

My only ski injury in 25 years is a couple of broken ribs when I landed
on my ski binding while rolling 100 feet after skiing across the back of
a snowboard. Unlikely, right?

Clearly, snowboards should not have backs, just fronts.

Exactly! He came out of nowhere and that was the best I could do.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 12th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:40:57 AM UTC-7, downhill wrote:
wrote:

It is not about falling. Skiing is a always a learning experience, if you

are falling, you are not challenging yourself, and learning from your

mistakes.. Falling should be a part of a lesson, and learning better ski

mechanics, like setting up a turn, learning to ski in different conditions,

and actually liking it...

That is complete bull****!

From a racing perspective it makes sense shunts happen when you push

your self. If you are not pushing your self you should not be racing.

I took a big high speed crash about 4 weeks ago while free skiing, I

would not recommend this for the average skier. The people on the trail

did not think I was going to get up. Being padded nothing seemed to hurt

at time.

Pulled something in my knee and it has made stairs impossible, it does

not hurt when I ski it just limits motion a bit more.

Do you really think that when a professional caliber racer crashes that they learn anything from that crash? They already know what not to do and they try to avoid doing it in the first place. Once you are past to point of learning how to fall to minimize any injuries you don't NEED to fall to learn..

At this point I can ski terrain where falling would mean certain injury or death so I don't fall. There's nothing that falling on that terrain would teach me. As long as anyone thinks that they need to fall to learn then they are just another gaper who is a danger to their self and people who do know how to ski.
Old February 12th 14, 10:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

wrote:
Do you really think that when a professional caliber racer crashes
that they learn anything from that crash? They already know what not
to do and they try to avoid doing it in the first place. Once you are
past to point of learning how to fall to minimize any injuries you
don't NEED to fall to learn.

At this point I can ski terrain where falling would mean certain
injury or death so I don't fall. There's nothing that falling on that
terrain would teach me. As long as anyone thinks that they need to
fall to learn then they are just another gaper who is a danger to
their self and people who do know how to ski.

You are comparing two different things.
My point being it is not learning to fall. It is pushing the limit and
at some point you are going to fall or have a shunt. & it is done on a
closed race train or a nearly empty trail. I do not bother to ski
crowded trails it is putter and look out for snowscrapers on way to race
arena.
The point is not to keep skiing until you fall, it is more you try
different thing and some times it fails. When I was on the nearly empty
trail with the 3 people off to the side of the top. I was loading up the
skis into a turn and then letting them unload and propel me with a burst
of energy. It worked 3 times the forth time the terrain fell away sooner
than expected and it propelled me into a cart wheel.

Falling with a pair of skis and the din set at 12 is very different than
a set of skis set at 6 you try to turtle.
Old February 12th 14, 11:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:05:03 PM UTC-7, downhill wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Are you talking about NASTAR racing?
Old February 13th 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote:

It is not about falling. Skiing is a always a learning experience, if you

are falling, you are not challenging yourself, and learning from your

mistakes.. Falling should be a part of a lesson, and learning better ski

mechanics, like setting up a turn, learning to ski in different conditions,

and actually liking it...

That is complete bull****!

From a racing perspective it makes sense shunts happen when you push

[...]

My point isn't that falling on anything above 45 degree to 50 degree angle
slopes is a learning experience. If one is going to ski challenging
terrain, one should have the skill sets already in place, and also can
correct problems to prevent falling and actually hurting one's self as they
tumble uncontrollably down a steep slope.

My point for someone who ski blue cruisers and makes a point of not
falling for a year or so, it is actually detrimental, because they would
have a problem skiing different conditions, and actually skiing better.
Old February 13th 14, 01:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

wrote:

It is not about falling. Skiing is a always a learning
experience, if you

are falling, you are not challenging yourself, and learning from
your

mistakes.. Falling should be a part of a lesson, and learning
better ski

mechanics, like setting up a turn, learning to ski in different
conditions,

and actually liking it...

That is complete bull****!

From a racing perspective it makes sense shunts happen when you
push

[...]

I wonder how many people here know and can use a ski pole arrest to stabilize
and stop if they fall on steep or icy terrein. It's saved me from bad slides
multiple times.

Old February 13th 14, 01:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

wrote:

Are you talking about NASTAR racing?

master's downhill and SG