Helmets on snow?

Old February 11th 14, 01:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Default Helmets on snow?

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:13:35 AM UTC-5, comadrejo wrote:

Long Answer: You are being incredibly neurotic.

I prefer "rather" to "incredibly", but yeah.
Old February 11th 14, 03:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 17:35:38 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

I think: wear a helmet. Trees and rocks and ice and lift towers and
other stuff is everywhere. Also other skiers.

I suppose you wear the best lipstick and makeup also to impress the
other skiers.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old February 11th 14, 03:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 20:47:52 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote this crap:

Toller wrote:
Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a
helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on
essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?
Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds
of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get
near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher,
but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either;
I am pretty conservative...)

I always wear a helmet. It has protected me more than once from careless skiers
with their poles, or walking with their skis on their shoulders. And other
things. Why would you not wear a helmet?

Because it shows you're a wuss.

Old February 11th 14, 03:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 2/10/14 8:29 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

My only ski injury in 25 years is a couple of broken ribs when I landed
on my ski binding while rolling 100 feet after skiing across the back of
a snowboard. Unlikely, right?

Clearly, snowboards should not have backs, just fronts.
Old February 11th 14, 04:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, 10 February 2014 18:14:35 UTC-8, downhill wrote:

Granted sliding down a icy hill on two boards is crazy but one should at

least take some precautions to protect the brain cell.

A new Ski hill in Ct requires all skiers and snowscrapers to wear

helmets, the road side advert on I91 for that hill shows a skier on the

hill just wearing a hat.

Let me ruin this great discussion by introducing some facts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sp...ef=health&_r=0
Old February 11th 14, 06:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

wrote:
On Monday, 10 February 2014 18:14:35 UTC-8, downhill wrote:

Granted sliding down a icy hill on two boards is crazy but one should at

least take some precautions to protect the brain cell.

A new Ski hill in Ct requires all skiers and snowscrapers to wear

helmets, the road side advert on I91 for that hill shows a skier on the

hill just wearing a hat.

Let me ruin this great discussion by introducing some facts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sp...ef=health&_r=0

The extreme side of skiing is loosing more as more people tempt that fate.
But on several of the instances the incident forces were greater that
the helmet could resist and much like in motorsports it is where you
head gets moved in relation to your spine.
Helmets work using something like a hans device would make them better
but you would look pretty funny.
But there is no data collected on people who have not been injured while
wearing a helmet.
but the article pointed out

The increase in helmet use has had positive results. Experts say helmets
have reduced the numbers of less serious head injuries, like scalp
lacerations, by 30 percent to 50 percent, and Schumacher’s doctors say
he would not have survived his fall had he not worn a helmet. But
growing evidence indicates that helmets do not prevent some more serious
injuries,
Old February 12th 14, 12:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DaveM

wrote:

Toller wrote:
Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a
helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on
essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?
Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds
of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get
near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher,
but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either;
I am pretty conservative...)

I always wear a helmet. It has protected me more than once from careless skiers
with their poles, or walking with their skis on their shoulders. And other
things. Why would you not wear a helmet?

IMHO,

Helmet =/= remedyfor being st00pid. easy to die wearing one and lots
of situations where it will do you no good at all and may even
decrease your success rate.

Proper helmet = reasonable precaution for some people who want to
test some boundaries.

Skiing where I choose to ski and sometimes not being 100% sure of a
lot of different parameters, I choose to wear a helmet.

That's it. And it is your head so............ Carry on. YMMV.

DaveM
Old February 12th 14, 12:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DaveM

wrote:

Toller wrote:
Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a
helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on
essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?
Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds
of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get
near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher,
but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either;
I am pretty conservative...)

I always wear a helmet. It has protected me more than once from careless skiers
with their poles, or walking with their skis on their shoulders. And other
things. Why would you not wear a helmet?

BTW, Which lense color is best for fog and low/ flat light conditions?

(Just to wake up the few lurkers who remain)

DaveM
Old February 12th 14, 02:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

wrote:

Toller wrote:
[...]

A guy that skis with me has a pair of sunglagges he uses that have slightly
different lens colors for each eye. They seem to significantly increase
perception of "texture" of the hill in low light conditions.

Old February 12th 14, 03:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Bob F wrote:
BTW, Which lense color is best for fog and low/ flat light conditions?

(Just to wake up the few lurkers who remain)

A guy that skis with me has a pair of sunglagges he uses that have slightly
different lens colors for each eye. They seem to significantly increase
perception of "texture" of the hill in low light conditions.

The one lens I use the most is clear. Followed by yellow in low light
with bright locations or dark brown/black for very bright days.
I have not found a wonder lens, but a did see a few years back a goggle
that changed lens electrically. But the switched fluttered during hard
skiing/racing so you never knew what lens would appear.