OKEMO vs. Stratton or Stowe?

Old January 12th 14, 04:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default OKEMO vs. Stratton or Stowe?

On Sunday, April 26, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm planning a trip next February with my wife and kids (8 & 5). Most
everyone I know takes their kids to Okemo which was rated one of the top
resorts in the East for kids. However, Stowe was also rated in the top.

I've read differing posts and would like to know where is the best place in
February for two kids and my wife who are beginner - intermediate.

Also, we'll be looking for a condo with 3-4 bedrooms because we'll be going
with two other families. Any recommendations on slope-side condos would be
appreciated.

BTW - I went to Stratton this season with 5 guys and it was unbelievable!!!
We went during the week right after a few feet of new powder. New snow, new
skis, and noone around - it was awesome. The terrain parks were incredible.
I'd highly recommend Stratton. - I've never been to Okemo or Stowe so I'm
curious how they could have been rated higher than Stratton.

- Dan

I have been to almost all Vermont ski resorts. If you must know, Okemo beats out Stratton in almost every aspect from children's amenities, to advanced skier terrain. However if you compare Okemo to Stowe, then Stowe beats Okemo 100 to 1. Stowe has much more reliable snow, great trails for every skier level,and upscale amenities. Now, because you have kids, perhaps Okemo will suit you better. However, in a couple of years when they become better, you should drop Okemo and drive the extra 2 hours north to Stowe. It is MUCH nicer in every aspect.
Old January 12th 14, 08:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Bob F wrote:
His "kids" are now 20 and 23. Sure is a good thing you are giving him this
TIMELY advise.

That is the internet for you, maybe it got stuck in the server for a
few years.

I can understand most of the old posting spamming or pushing a product.
This one is a little off.
But my guess as the conditions in Vt are close to suck and crap based on
the weather I have been watching. It has been 50 and raining one resort
in Pa was closed yesterday due to weather and not having enough snow to
waste it.
We had a great storm dump right before xmas then the weather went nuts.
The arctic freeze had warm periods before and after here. We lost snow
made a bunch and then lost more then we made in last few days.

There is 24 hours of Stratton march 15-16 to raise money for group in S
Vt. The weekend before the USSA Masters divisional. I hope there is
enough snow for both events
Old January 12th 14, 09:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_6_]

On 1/12/2014 4:34 PM, downhill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
[...]

Look at the patterns. Last year was actually unusual. There were no
major thaws in late December and January as there are normally and have
been this year. So last year, even though last year was the second worst
year for natural snowfall it was a stellar ski year. We kept everything
that fell from the sky or came out of a gun and had a season that lasted
almost 'til June.

Once we are WELL into winter the patterns will change and the thaws will
become less and less damaging.

BTW I skied three days right after Christmas at Sierra At Tahoe on a six
inch base in 50 degree weather. Just like early season at home. Warm
weather, not much snow and a fair amount of gravel to "season" the base
of my (son-in-law's) skis. I rather like Sierra. It's small, inexpensive
(especially for an old fart) close to SLT and fun for the grandchildren.

I was damned if I was going to spend $90 or more at Heavenly with no
chance to ski the good stuff that makes that price at least seem
reasonable. I'll ski groomers at $25 a day with grandkids any time.

Old January 13th 14, 01:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:

Once we are WELL into winter the patterns will change and the thaws will
become less and less damaging.

I remember last Memorial day, Spider coaches coat over other coat in
muck boots gloves and winter hat and I was not uncomfortable, just
****ed off with the 3 days of rain in the 30's in May.
Where I coined the phrase "Those who are not prepared will suffer!"
I directed this at guys who have been racing for 30 years and
complaining their feet were wet. &the whole act of what we do is called
race preparation.
My first outing at Okemo before xmas taking a lesson with chief
instructor we were talking about such a nice base best start for the
season in years.

Still have not had a chance to use new skis, maybe this thursday night
if weather gets better.

okemo downhill Alpine Skiing 24 December 26th 13 10:40 PM
okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 0 December 26th 12 10:39 PM
Recommendations for budget accommodations near Okemo/Stratton [email protected] Alpine Skiing 19 November 24th 11 04:15 AM
okemo downhill Alpine Skiing 4 January 11th 11 12:21 AM
FS: One-Day Adult Lift Ticket to Stratton Richard Mandel Alpine Skiing 0 March 22nd 04 10:31 PM