Laub (was Paging SteveH)

Old January 7th 08, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

Default Laub (was Paging SteveH)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:31:01 +0000 (UTC), Switters
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:21:54 GMT, Ace allegedly
wrote:

[1] Still not 100% fit, but a damn site closer after 24 days' skiing
than I was a couple of months back.

You just reminded me: the EasyJet magazine has the Laub listed as one of
the top 10 off-piste routes in Europe.

Really? I'm not sure it's really up to that, TBH. I did at least two
or three in Flaine last Thursday that would be more of a challenge in
most conditions. The Laub is long, sure, but the gradient is fairly
constant and it's virtually dead straight, with terrain variation only
if you go across it, and even then not that much. Access isn't always
straightforward, but again it's not exactly scary.

I guess it's just one of those that has to be done, and at 1.2km
vertical (IIRC) it can certainly be a test of stamina - I won't be
doing it non-stop this season, that's for sure. But top 10? I don't
think so. What were the others anyway?

Let's guess at a few, in no particular order: Tour de Charvet (Val),
Stairway to Heaven (Verbier), Vallee blanche (Cham), Gran Couloir
(Gressoney/Alagna), Grand Couloir (Courchevel)...

Of course, many of these aren't technically difficult, but still seem
to appear on many people's "must do" list. I've done all bar one, but
most of them (the Alagna one being the exception) would not be in my
personal "most enjoyed" list.

Any more favourites?

--
_______
..'_/_|_\_'. Ace (b.rogers at ifrance.com)
Old January 7th 08, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:26:19 GMT, Ace allegedly
wrote:

most conditions. The Laub is long, sure, but the gradient is fairly
constant and it's virtually dead straight, with terrain variation only
if you go across it, and even then not that much. Access isn't always
straightforward, but again it's not exactly scary.

As I recall, it remarked on the length, and also said it was something
like 500m wide, so pick your line, and gradient was between 38 and 43
degs, so pretty much what you told me before. For difficulty it rated it
as 7/10.

One of the others was Mickey's Ears in Val d'Isere, which it rated as
8/10, but I did that back in '99 when I was barely compentent (about
Champ's level really), and didn't think it was the least bit difficult.

What were the others anyway?

Can't remember. Apart from the Val D one, none that I'd done, but then
I'm not big on following the crowd anyway.

Let's guess at a few, in no particular order: Tour de Charvet (Val),
Stairway to Heaven (Verbier), Vallee blanche (Cham), Gran Couloir
(Gressoney/Alagna), Grand Couloir (Courchevel)...

OK, Valle Blanche was obviously on it. And I think the one in Alagna was
too. Talked about a 90m very tight couloir entrance that you need to side
slip down, and then opens out. Gave that a 10/10 I think.

Article seemed to gloss over the safety aspects, and to me just seemed to
say "get a guide, hire a beacon and you'll be OK". I'll have another look
later, as the mrs took a copy.
Old January 7th 08, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

wrote:

most conditions. The Laub is long, sure, but the gradient is fairly
constant and it's virtually dead straight, with terrain variation only
if you go across it, and even then not that much. Access isn't always
straightforward, but again it's not exactly scary.

As I recall, it remarked on the length, and also said it was something
like 500m wide, so pick your line, and gradient was between 38 and 43
degs, so pretty much what you told me before. For difficulty it rated it
as 7/10.

Yeah, I guess that's fair. Some of the stuff I took a group down last
week had my heart pumping much more that the Laub ever would, mainly
because, even though it was all on routes I'd skied before, there were
several bits that you just _needed_ to pick the right line, or face a
long walk out. But some bits were probably an 8/10 on that scale.

One of the others was Mickey's Ears in Val d'Isere, which it rated as
8/10, but I did that back in '99 when I was barely compentent (about
Champ's level really)

Bwaahaaha. You utter *******, you.

, and didn't think it was the least bit difficult.

Did that quite a few years back too, when I was even more of a novice
than that, and apart from having to cross some avalanche debris befpre
reaching a pristine powder field (which was quite a find, given that
it was May 1st, IIRC) it wasn't difficult at all.

What were the others anyway?

Can't remember. Apart from the Val D one, none that I'd done, but then
I'm not big on following the crowd anyway.

Let's guess at a few, in no particular order: Tour de Charvet (Val),
Stairway to Heaven (Verbier), Vallee blanche (Cham), Gran Couloir
(Gressoney/Alagna), Grand Couloir (Courchevel)...

OK, Valle Blanche was obviously on it. And I think the one in Alagna was
too. Talked about a 90m very tight couloir entrance that you need to side
slip down, and then opens out. Gave that a 10/10 I think.

Found it online now
http://www.easyjetinflight.com/featu...piste-ski.html

I don't think the Alagna one they mention is the same as I'm thinking
of, as I don't recall the entrance as described, but there are several
different entry points which converge below, so it's certainly one of
the same bits. And I think I've done it, after a hike over rocks and
stuff to reach it.

Of the others listed (only 6, in fact) I've not done the St Anton or
Verbier ones either.

Article seemed to gloss over the safety aspects, and to me just seemed to
say "get a guide, hire a beacon and you'll be OK".

Yeah, just another "everyone should do this" article. I'm sometimes
astonished at members' willingness to follow me almost anywhere
off-piste, given our policy
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/new...ntStoryID=5104 and
participation statements
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/new...ntStoryID=5105 but I
know full well that many still don't fully appreciate the dangers
involved, and this sort of article just serves to reinforce their
views.

TBF though, mostly they _do_ appreciate the dangers _after_ they've
skied with me.

Because I make sure I tell them, of course; not for any other reason
whatsoever :-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 7th 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]

wrote:

One of the others was Mickey's Ears in Val d'Isere, which it rated as
8/10, but I did that back in '99 when I was barely compentent (about
Champ's level really)

FOYRNB
--
Champ

ZX10R | GPz750turbo | GSX-R 600 racer
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
To email me, neal at my domain should work.
Old January 7th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

wrote:

One of the others was Mickey's Ears in Val d'Isere, which it rated as
8/10, but I did that back in '99 when I was barely compentent (about
Champ's level really)

FOYRNB

I didn't see that Ace had x-posted this, but, really, MWHID.
Old January 7th 08, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jeremy

Ace wrote in news:ej54o3ht9h4gp7j21885d6oejgp19itgva@
4ax.com:

wrote:

Let's guess at a few, in no particular order: Tour de Charvet (Val),
Stairway to Heaven (Verbier), Vallee blanche (Cham), Gran Couloir
(Gressoney/Alagna), Grand Couloir (Courchevel)...

Of course, many of these aren't technically difficult, but still seem
to appear on many people's "must do" list. I've done all bar one, but
most of them (the Alagna one being the exception) would not be in my
personal "most enjoyed" list.

Any more favourites?

Steep: Couloir des Pisteurs, Val d'Isère; N. Face of the Pramecou, Tignes
Picturesque: Over the back from Andermatt to the Gotthard; over the back
from Super St. Bernard into Italy; Combe sans nom, Val Thorens; lots of
others....

--
Jeremy
R1200RT
Old January 10th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Devs[_2_]

In message 0, Jérémy
writes
Steep: Couloir des Pisteurs, Val d'Isère;

Respeck dude! I have seen tracks down it but never been brave enough
myself. It looks really gnarly. I've done most of the off piste around
Val but I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough for that one.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old January 10th 08, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jeremy

Devs wrote in
:

In message 0, Jérémy
writes
Steep: Couloir des Pisteurs, Val d'Isère;

Respeck dude! I have seen tracks down it but never been brave enough
myself. It looks really gnarly. I've done most of the off piste around
Val but I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough for that one.

Looking at it from directly opposite makes it look rather steeper than it
really is. It is fairly narrow though, especially at the top. We took a
rope but didn't need it. A super descent in good conditions.

--
Jeremy
R1200RT
Old February 6th 08, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:17:21 +0000 (UTC), in
, Switters

wrote:

most conditions. The Laub is long, sure, but the gradient is fairly
constant and it's virtually dead straight, with terrain variation only
if you go across it, and even then not that much. Access isn't always
straightforward, but again it's not exactly scary.

As I recall, it remarked on the length, and also said it was something
like 500m wide, so pick your line, and gradient was between 38 and 43
degs, so pretty much what you told me before. For difficulty it rated it
as 7/10.

Late follow-up, but seeing as I actually skied it twice on Sunday (in
nice soft powder) I thought I'd post an update. It _is_ pretty steep
at the entry point(s), and quite chopped up at the mo, which might
faze some folk, and there's much more in the way of variation than I
remembered. But yes, 7/10 sounds about right, where 10 rates as "Gulp,
I'm not sure I want to do that."

I'm really needing to work on my fitness now though, having had to
stop for breath (FFS!) and thigh burn about six or seven times going
down it. That's an average of once per 200m vertical, which is less
than impressive. Working with the physio to regain core and back
strength has done a lot, but I'm now starting to push some serious
weights for my leg strength as well as keeping it up for much longer
for the CV workout.

I'll get there eventually, I hope.

paging UK Boarders: newbie question for the locals [email protected] Snowboarding 19 June 6th 06 12:20 PM
Anyone skied the 'laub' at Engelberg? Ace European Ski Resorts 25 February 18th 05 06:53 PM
Paging the cowardly catamite! Eviel Dewar Alpine Skiing 8 November 19th 04 08:26 PM
Paging our Shaun taywood Nordic Skiing 1 October 25th 04 02:32 PM
Paging Mr Brown Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 10 December 17th 03 08:20 AM