French speed cams

Old January 3rd 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Default French speed cams

Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne
to Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

Can this be right ? Not that I ever exceed the limit of course...
Old January 3rd 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On Jan 3, 11:54*am, BrritSki wrote:
Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne
to Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

Can this be right ? *Not that I ever exceed the limit of course...

Nah, there are definitely still some - I think they're all around
Chambery/Albertville, but I didn't really clock them on the way down.
Have a baby on board this year, so I was actually sticking to the
limits.

Matt
Old January 3rd 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

"BrritSki" wrote in message
Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne to
Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

Can this be right ? Not that I ever exceed the limit of course...

'Fraid not; apart from the Gatso-style "contôles de vitesses automatiques"
(which are usually signed in advance), you'll have to watch out for the
occasional roadside police hand-held guns.

So, eyes peeled, then...

Oh, and have a nice trip :-)

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Old January 3rd 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 11:54:43 +0000, BrritSki
wrote:

Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne
to Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

Can this be right ? Not that I ever exceed the limit of course...

I'm assuming you're British, in a UK registered car, yes?

So why would you care about French speed cameras?
--
Champ
Old January 3rd 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

wrote:

Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne
to Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

Can this be right ? Not that I ever exceed the limit of course...

I'm assuming you're British, in a UK registered car, yes?

So why would you care about French speed cameras?
--
Champ

You may not... but you get still caught on a hand-held roadside speed-cam
and get pulled in for a hefty on-the-spot fine. It happens, as I noted only
today, not far from home.

With autoroute speed limits of 130km/h (110 in wet weather) things here in
France are less restrictive than in many other countries, so you can still
cover real distances in a reasonable time.

On the other hand, freezing rain is currently causing major road carnage on
the roads of Europe, and if you hit this you won't get any warning. Don't
push your luck - and you'll get to enjoy your skiing.

Old January 3rd 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki[_2_]

wrote:

Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne
to Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

Can this be right ? Not that I ever exceed the limit of course...

I'm assuming you're British, in a UK registered car, yes?

Not quite - I'm British, but with and Italian reg car...

So why would you care about French speed cameras?

Because we drive in to France at the Ventimiglia border
regularly, and if I ever do get caught by one of those
hand-held jobbies and stopped, they would flag up all the
outstanding tickets (if I had any) and possibly do me for
the lot.

Plus I'm a naturally law-abiding sort of chap

Old January 3rd 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki[_2_]

wrote:

Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne
to Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

Can this be right ? Not that I ever exceed the limit of course...

I'm assuming you're British, in a UK registered car, yes?

So why would you care about French speed cameras?
--
Champ

You may not... but you get still caught on a hand-held roadside
speed-cam and get pulled in for a hefty on-the-spot fine. It happens, as
I noted only today, not far from home.

Yes, BTDTGTT. I keep a very alert eye out now for them and
narrowly avoided one on the way to the UK end November.

I always take note of the signs and slow for them - why not,
they're not very frequent ?

I was just wondering why Michelin wasn't flagging them.
Maybe in this holiday period either the flics or Michelin
are all on hols and nobody is updating stuff...

With autoroute speed limits of 130km/h (110 in wet weather) things here
in France are less restrictive than in many other countries, so you can
still cover real distances in a reasonable time.

Agreed

On the other hand, freezing rain is currently causing major road carnage
on the roads of Europe, and if you hit this you won't get any warning.
Don't push your luck - and you'll get to enjoy your skiing.

Agreed too.
Old January 4th 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

With mappy.com you can see that there is 8 speed cameras along your
trip.

Here is the detail (Considering you come from Boulogne sur Mer)

1st one: 124 Km Radar : 90 Km/h - N25 - Pt km 8 - Amiens - Rocade
Nord
2nd one: 298 Km Radar : 110 Km/h - A4 - Pt km 139,9 - Reims
3rd one: 435 Km Radar : 130 Km/h - A5 - Pt km 148.2 - Chauffour les
Bailly
4th one: 548 Km Radar : 130 Km/h - A31 - Pt km 81,7 - Selongey
5th one: 782 Km Radar : 90 Km/h - A46 - Pt km 25,2 - Neyron -
Descente de Sermenaz
6th one: 880 Km Radar : 110 Km/h - A43 - Pt km 81.6 - St Sulpice
7th one: 891 Km Radar : 90 Km/h - N201 - Chambéry
8th one: 942 Km Radar : 90 Km/h - N90 - Pt km 23,4 - Albertville

Then there is 50km left from albertville to Courchevel.
Total: 992 km.

Old January 4th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

wrote:

Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne
to Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

Can this be right ? Not that I ever exceed the limit of course...

I'm assuming you're British, in a UK registered car, yes?

Not quite - I'm British, but with and Italian reg car...

So why would you care about French speed cameras?

Because we drive in to France at the Ventimiglia border
regularly, and if I ever do get caught by one of those
hand-held jobbies and stopped, they would flag up all the
outstanding tickets (if I had any) and possibly do me for
the lot.

The issue is terminology, then. A 'hand-held jobbie' is a good old
fashioned radar trap. I assumed you meant automated speed cameras.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old January 4th 08, 08:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 23:22:40 +0100, "Roger Moss"
wrote:

Just printed off the Michelin route for my drive tomorrow from Boulogne
to Courchevel and noticed that not a single speed camera is listed.

I'm assuming you're British, in a UK registered car, yes?

So why would you care about French speed cameras?

You may not... but you get still caught on a hand-held roadside speed-cam

I don't think there's any such thing as a 'hand held roadside
speed-cam'. I think you're talking about a radar trap. The OP was
asking (I thought) about fixed site speed cameras that could be shown
on a map.

With autoroute speed limits of 130km/h (110 in wet weather) things here in
France are less restrictive than in many other countries, so you can still
cover real distances in a reasonable time.

Yes, I know - I've done many thousands of miles on them. Before the
age of Easyjet, I used to drive to Chamonix for a weekend.

On the other hand, freezing rain is currently causing major road carnage on
the roads of Europe, and if you hit this you won't get any warning. Don't
push your luck - and you'll get to enjoy your skiing.

When I want condescending and sanctimonious advice on my driving, I'll
ask for it, TYVM.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

Speed poll Evojeesus Alpine Skiing 111 June 23rd 07 11:07 AM
Speed Ski Suits TsarKaz'm The 99th Marketplace 0 March 26th 06 01:12 PM
Speed Ron - NY Alpine Skiing 61 March 27th 05 04:59 AM
Follow-up - French speed traps PG European Ski Resorts 27 March 8th 04 09:18 PM
Inliner speed vs. Rollerski speed Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 25 September 25th 03 08:26 PM