Very Long Reds

Old January 23rd 04, 01:14 PM
funkraum

Default Very Long Reds

Gstaad:

Those huge reds above Saanen and Rougement (South side)
Long and swoopy, just like Alpine skiing in your dreams.

Garmish:

Descending from the Kreuzeckbahn. Ideal terrain. Long descents winding
through interesting features.

Cortina:

Grosser Lagazuoi - The huge descent behind Cortina which is not
linked to the Cortina ski area and is accessed by a telecabine at
Passo Falzarego.

Can anyone remember other similar pistes to the Gstaad/Garmisch
spectaculars ? The criteria consist of long swoopy reds. Just 'long'
would include pistes such as the long black which passes the eye of
the needle at Tignes. Crans has some good reds but not as long as the
above, for example.

Old January 23rd 04, 03:58 PM
PSmith

Zermatt
- Hohtali "White Hare" run all the way down to Gant.
- Unter Rothorn to Gant
- Kl matterhorn to Valltouranche (Cervinia)

In fact Zermatt has some of the longest runs in Europe, according to several
reviews.

Old January 23rd 04, 09:37 PM
visionset

"funkraum" wrote in message

Can anyone remember other similar pistes to the Gstaad/Garmisch
spectaculars ? The criteria consist of long swoopy reds. Just 'long'

Les Etroits & Mont de la Guerre at La Plagne

--
Mike W

Old January 23rd 04, 10:11 PM
pk

funkraum wrote:

Can anyone remember other similar pistes to the Gstaad/Garmisch
spectaculars ? The criteria consist of long swoopy reds. Just 'long'
would include pistes such as the long black which passes the eye of
the needle at Tignes. Crans has some good reds but not as long as the
above, for example.

Val Gerdena has a few nice long reds, one of which is around 9km.

Also check out Zermatt.
Old January 26th 04, 09:14 AM
Ian

Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger at Les Arcs is long - of course there's always
the Valley Blanche in Cham if you want a really long run, probably a blue
most of the way.

Ian

Old January 26th 04, 12:29 PM
Clive Perry

"Ian" wrote in message
Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger at Les Arcs is long - of course there's

always
the Valley Blanche in Cham if you want a really long run, probably a blue
most of the way.

Ian,

IIRC it is marked Black for at least half it's length - albeit not difficult
as far as blacks go.

Clive

Old January 26th 04, 12:32 PM
Clive Perry

"Clive Perry" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger at Les Arcs is long - of course there's

always
the Valley Blanche in Cham if you want a really long run, probably a

blue
most of the way.

Ian,

IIRC it is marked Black for at least half it's length - albeit not

difficult
as far as blacks go.

Clive

I refer to the Aiguille Rouge not the VB.

Sorry

Clive

Old January 26th 04, 01:16 PM
Ian

....you might be right actually, although I thought sticking to the ridge
made it a red, maybe I'm there in 3 weeks I'll go and check!

IAn

Old January 26th 04, 07:19 PM
Clive Perry

"Ian" wrote in message
...you might be right actually, although I thought sticking to the ridge
made it a red, maybe I'm there in 3 weeks I'll go and check!

Hi Ian,

I think you are right there is a red run along the ridge, but I also
remember there being a black marked as well that runs parallel according to
the piste map and both converge back into the black. Please bear in mind I
have not skied at Les Arcs since the early 90's so my memory could be
playing tricks with me. Whatever the colour is does not matter as it is a
good leg burner all the way down to Le Pre/Villaroger.

It's Les Deux Alpes for me in 3 weeks, snow's looking good currently so
let's hope it stays that way and enjoy your trip.

Clive

Old February 14th 04, 11:58 AM
funkraum

"PSmith" wrote:

Zermatt
- Hohtali "White Hare" run all the way down to Gant.
- Unter Rothorn to Gant
- Kl matterhorn to Valltouranche (Cervinia)

In fact Zermatt has some of the longest runs in Europe, according to several
reviews.

I had forgotten about the Zermatt reds, but I was thinking more of
long -and- wide red pistes, rather than catwalks.