Roller skiing protective gear

Old May 9th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Roller skiing protective gear

On Wed, 09 May 2007 08:59:45 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

You've made a serious reading comprehension

error.

--
JT
****************************
Old May 9th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

The important thing with roller-skiing (assuming you are doing it to
improve your skiing) is to be able to roller-ski with good technique.
You cannot do that if you are scared of hurting yourself, whether that
fear is legitimate or not; nor can you do it if the protective gear
that you wear to eliminate that fear is too cumbersome. My impression
is that the fear factor is more significant than the gear as an enemy
of good technique.

If you have trouble standing up on roller-skis (it is a stage that
passes fairly quickly for most), then as JT suggests you are probably
better off concentrating on balance training that is less injurious
(to technique, gear and body) and more rewarding. Even for a good
skier, specific balance exercises can be very beneficial.

If you have to wear protective gear to feel safe enough that you can
ski relaxed, commit your weight to a gliding ski, etc, then that is
what you should do. If the same gear physically inhibits your movement
so that you still cannot ski well then it does not solve the problem,
but merely exchanges the cause. This is worth it if a few weeks or
months dressed like the Michelin Man teaches you that you are not
going to fall, so that you can discard the cumbersome gear. If you
plan to use it long-term, then the protective gear must be
appropriate.

If you are still nervous even with the gear, and that does not improve
with practice, then I would suggest doing more dry-land training
drills, as you will ingrain bad habits and body positions by roller-
skiing scared, and probably do your skiing as much harm as good.

When you do a lot of roller-skiing, learning not to crash becomes very
important, because of both the injuries crashes cause and the
technical inhibitions caused by fear of crashing. In the summers I
spent training at Ruhpolding (one of Germany's major biathlon centres,
and a magnet for foreign national teams even during the summer; the
world cup ski trails are roller-ski trails underneath) I don't think I
ever saw an adult roller-skiing in a helmet; the only significant
injury I heard of there was incurred on roller-blades, which are far
less stable at high speeds (and it would not have been prevented by
helmets or pads). Of course, not crashing entails judgment about the
kind of roads you ski on: if you are scared of hitting a stone then
you are probably not skiing well anyway - that was why I started
wearing a head-lamp for night roller-skiing.

I did hear of one former world champion who ran into a cow on the
biggest descent on the Ruhpolding track (probably at 40mph). It was
the cow that died, so the farmers keep their cattle away from the
track now.

We all weigh perceived risks every day, and I think that individuals
(apart from cows) should be responsible their own choices about the
degree of precaution they take against dangers to themselves. I don't
wear a helmet on the stairs or in my car; I do when roller-skiing at
Kensington because of the risk of being fined if I don't. On a hot day
I will roller-ski somewhere I do not have to wear a helmet. I wear a
helmet when biking with the group because I find the social pressure
tiresome when I do not. There are many factors in the judgment.

What bothers me a lot more than wearing a helmet is the sanctimonious
busybodies who get a high out of pretending that they care more for my
welfare than I do.

Sorry I can't help with specific suggestions about gear - except to
mention that football (soccer) goalkeepers wear shorts with padding on
the hips, which may be useful to you. I would also suggest gloves, as
I find that it is almost invariably my hands that hit the ground first
in a fall.
Hugh

Old May 9th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 9 May 2007 06:51:58 -0700, Hugh P wrote:

I wear a
helmet when biking with the group because I find the social pressure
tiresome when I do not. There are many factors in the judgment.

I do the same a lot of the time... and fear of fines near where I
live..

--
JT
****************************
Old May 9th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

wear a helmet. I can't recommend anything in addition to that.

People break their backs falling off rollerskis (B Daehlie), and you
won't prevent that with knee/wrist pads. someone suggested earing
motorcycle protective gear, which sounds like a good idea, but I 've
never seen anyone use it.

Old May 9th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Randy, not a dumb question at all, just not evident your decision
making is based on functionality. Your knee protectors must be poorly
designed or too small, since a properly fitting velcro-around type
should not block any movement (unless there's a technique issue). Wear
gloves and forget the wrist pads, since it's next to impossible to fall
there. Elbow pads should be slip on type. In a worst case situation,
I'd wear Crash Pads under shorts or wind pants, but I'm not sure why
I'd be rollerskiing in that case. Another suggestion: find locations
where you don't really need any protective gear beyond clothes, cap and
gloves, and develop greater confidence.

rm

Randy AKA Cubby wrote:

Dumb question: What do you guys wear for protective equipment? I'm not
sure if it's just me, or what, but I've been through like 5 different
pairs of 'roller blading' and 'roller skating' protective gear, i.e.
knee, elbow and wrist pads, and have yet to come up with something I
can live with. The wrist protectors seem to inhibit my pole work a
great deal. The knee pads are the biggest bugaboo; they seem to really
dampen my push and almost seem to change the angle of my knee a bit.
I'm an Emergency Room nurse in real life, so I WON'T go without them
(having cared for many of the local H.S. team roller ski injuries). I
also wear a generic bicycling helmet which isn't all that big a deal.
Depends on the weather, I'm either in a Swix ski pant or shorts. wit h
the knee pads, I've tried the wrap around velcro and the pull-over
volleyball type. Any suggestions?

Randy B

Old May 9th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

http://crash-pads.com/intro.aspx?dept=skate - Style 2600

When I was learning, a rollerski went out from under me on a downhill
and I slid about 8' on these. Hardly felt a thing. Just got up and
rolled away.

Jerry M. Wright wrote:

On 8 May 2007 05:54:47 -0700, Larry wrote:

[snip]

Interesting, crashpads.com is now a flight crew relocation service. Is
there another source you can point to?

I got padded shorts from crashpads.com after I fell backwards early on
in my training practically standing still. They aren't too bulky,
don't constrain movements at all and don't look too bad.

Old May 9th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

There are a number of good reasons why smart organizations don't have
medical personnel (esp. doctors) chair their medical commissions. The
most important is because their perspective is shaped and limited by
medical training, medical experience and knowledge, and the politics of
government regulation. We're primarily focused here on sports,
cross-country skiing in particular, not safety or medical issues. Your
priorities, as implied by this post below, seem to be the opposite.
That's how I understand JFT's response. As in any aspect of life, there
are priorities and risks that flow from them. Even x-c snow skiing
itself has its dangers, as clubs, race organizers and ski centers
repeatedly remind us with their liability waivers.

This discussion raises broader social issues that really are beyond the
group's focus. For a number of reasons there has been a shift since
the 1950s and 1960s from the relatively care-free approach to play many
of us grew up, to the worrisome if not doting approach that gets a lot
of publicity today - and DAs prosecuting parents. It's long amazed me
how well the vast majority of kids came through the first.

rm

Randy Bryan wrote:

I'm going to tell you all something about this thread.
I work as an Emergency Department RN.Over 30 years now if anyone's
counting. I also served as a medic in Vietnam. During that time, I've
had days that weren't so bad, where I felt like I made a difference.

I've also had days where I put toe tags on children.

I have seen my share of trauma, both accidental and self-inflicted.
Lives completely destroyed and ended over preventable incidents. If
there's anything anyone can do to minimize any kind of trauma, it has
my support. I've been involved or years with a program to give kids
free bicycling helmets. Yeah, maybe Mom and Dad can afford that beat
up third-hand bike but a $9.95 helmet is too much. Happens.
I think a fall at full speed roller skiing is the same impact as being
thrown from a car going 40-50 mph. If you cannot avoid that totally,
then minimize the injury by wearing the damn equipment. Look like a
geek? Try the alternative, which may be you drooling in a bed for the
rest of your life, while me and my co-workers wipe your ass and spoon
feed you.
I get really defensive and really irate when someone advocates NOT
wearing a helmet, a seat belt, a pair of pads and some clothing to
protect your sorry ass. You want to risk your own life, feel free.
Just don't try and convince anyone else to share your stupidity please.

I'd still care for you if you came into my ER.

I hope all I'd be doing is resetting a bone or stitching you up. I may
think you're a moron, but generally I won't say it. I would say
something to the effect that you had an angel of your shoulder that
day if that's all that happened to you, that you have a second chance.

But if I'm zipping your body bag, I WILL tell you out loud you're an
asshole. Sometime through tears, but I will say it.

Old May 9th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

"John Forrest Tomlinson" schreef in bericht

Hahahahahaha.

You ski fast.

I fall harder on skates or off my bikes then from the average bad guy's
sedan back seat. The height difference is key. I'm also positive I (6'4")
fall down harder than people a head shorter than me. My head is just
traveling at a higher speed when it hits. Not the difference helmet-not of
course.
Being thrown out of a car, I would say you roll out more than tumbling over
a bad pave stone of your own poles (dead stop). Man, that even hurt real bad
on fresh falling snow. all but broke my wrist.
But I suppose you just meant to be a wise-a55 having a bad day.

Old May 10th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Clausen

As a long-time lurker, this thread seems to be deja-vu all over again. I
think JFT played the foil marvelously during the last go around if memory
serves me correctly.

jc

"Randy AKA Cubby" wrote in message
This is normally a hugely supportive,