Resorts for a NERVOUS skier

Old January 22nd 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Gaynor Reeve

Default Resorts for a NERVOUS skier

I'm new to this site and would welcome any advice and information on
resorts in Europe, ideal for a nervous skier.

I've skied about 10 times, but bottled out 6 years ago due to the heights ,
not the skiing. I'm not keen on narrow ledges and steep icy red runs. I am
55 and would like to try again, but to
enjoy kind, long and wide slopes. There are 4 in our group, 2 men who are
happy anywhere, and another female similar to myself.
Thank you again
Gaynor

Old January 22nd 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Gaynor Reeve wrote:

I'm new to this site and would welcome any advice and information on
resorts in Europe, ideal for a nervous skier.

I've skied about 10 times, but bottled out 6 years ago due to the heights ,
not the skiing. I'm not keen on narrow ledges and steep icy red runs. I am
55 and would like to try again, but to
enjoy kind, long and wide slopes. There are 4 in our group, 2 men who are
happy anywhere, and another female similar to myself.
Thank you again
Gaynor

Hi Gaynor,

I've got fairly limited experience of different resorts, but I remember
Meribel being pretty gentle and one of the few places I've been where
the runs to resort aren't that steep. And you're right in the middle of
the three valleys, so enough to keep everyone happy I'd think.

La Plagne might be worth a look as well.

Cheers,

Matt

Old January 22nd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark

In message
"Gaynor Reeve" wrote:

I'm new to this site and would welcome any advice and information on
resorts in Europe, ideal for a nervous skier.

I've skied about 10 times, but bottled out 6 years ago due to the
heights , not the skiing. I'm not keen on narrow ledges and steep icy
red runs. I am 55 and would like to try again, but to enjoy kind,
long and wide slopes. There are 4 in our group, 2 men who are happy
anywhere, and another female similar to myself. Thank you again Gaynor

When you say nervous of heights, could you elaborate on whether you are
happy to use chairlifts, gondolas, or cable cars for example?

There are some resorts that have excellent runs for beginners and
intermediates but in order to access them you need to travel up the
mountain in lifts with a degree of exposure.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old January 22nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark

In message m
"Matt T" wrote:

Gaynor Reeve wrote:

I'm new to this site and would welcome any advice and information on
resorts in Europe, ideal for a nervous skier.

I've skied about 10 times, but bottled out 6 years ago due to the heights ,
not the skiing. I'm not keen on narrow ledges and steep icy red runs. I am
55 and would like to try again, but to
enjoy kind, long and wide slopes. There are 4 in our group, 2 men who are
happy anywhere, and another female similar to myself.
Thank you again
Gaynor

Hi Gaynor,

I've got fairly limited experience of different resorts, but I remember
Meribel being pretty gentle and one of the few places I've been where
the runs to resort aren't that steep. And you're right in the middle of
the three valleys, so enough to keep everyone happy I'd think.

La Plagne might be worth a look as well.

Last year we were in La Plagne and one of our party brought along a 1st
time skier. It turned out she was afraid of heights on chairlifts and
that this then prevented her from ever getting to the nursery slopes
after the first day's experience.

Cheers,

Matt

Old January 23rd 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Nigel

Hi Gaynor,

Have a look at our area:-

http://www.hochkoenig.at/cms.php/4041/1/0

We have gentle slopes, no ques, and a lovely beginner area at Arthurhaus
which is where my sister learnt to ski at 42 who is scared of heights.

any further questions - e-mail me.

Nigel
--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

Old February 3rd 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Richard & Barbara" wrote in message
Cervinia is for you!!

"Gaynor Reeve" wrote in message
I'm new to this site and would welcome any advice and information on
resorts in Europe, ideal for a nervous skier.

I've skied about 10 times, but bottled out 6 years ago due to the heights
, not the skiing. I'm not keen on narrow ledges and steep icy red runs. I
am 55 and would like to try again, but to
enjoy kind, long and wide slopes. There are 4 in our group, 2 men who are
happy anywhere, and another female similar to myself.

And the linked resort of Valtournenche

The new Furi - Riffelberg at Zermat makes access to the Gornergrat and Rothorn
slopes at Zermat much easier for the other members of your party.

--

Michael Chare

Old February 5th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Would suggest the Grand Massif/Flaine ski area personally. Try
Morillon for instance.
Also suggest Saint-Gervais / Megeve.

What you probably want too is a ski area that is not too busy either
as clearly when mad boarders or idiots on snowblades get too close it
does not help...

XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk