Klolsters now (was Flying metal)

Old January 25th 07, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Klolsters now (was Flying metal)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:17:59 GMT, Pip Luscher
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:01:49 +0000, Pete Fisher
wrote:

In communiqué , Pip Luscher
cast forth these pearls of
wisdom
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:04:43 +0000, Pete Fisher
wrote:

I have only tried modern carvers (170s) at the Tamworth Snow Dome. TBF
the Dynastar 185s are probably a tad long for me anyway but they were a
bargain second hand from Snow and Rock 20 years ago.

How tall & heavy are you? I still use my 185cm Pocket Rockets and
they're certainly not too long for me, but then I'm an aggressive,
6'2" 13-stoner. Some of the Freeride skis are only made in that length
or longer.

I bought new skis last year, the 1080 foil, and went even shorter, at
175cm. These are just so agile it's amazing. Pip may remember me
skiing moguls on my wife's 165cm ones last year in Alpe d'Huez.

I last used them in 2004 at Mont Dore (Espace Sancy). They were indeed
hard work for rapid direction changes, but they were invigoratingly fast
where you could schuss a bit.

Longer != faster. The only relationship between speed and length is
that in the old days one needed a massively long ski to retain
high-speed stability. Nowadays, with much more rigid construction, the
shorter skis can offer at least as much control as the old long ones.

Actually, now that you mention it, my old skis were more stable in a
straight line (hardly surprising)

Indeed. The key to gliding on shaped skis is to never put them
straight. If you're always very slightly on one edge or another
they'll not give that unstable feeling.

and they always had a good glide on shallow runs.

More down to servicing than anything else, although clearly the
overall surface area is also a factor and the older skis would be much
narrower.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 25th 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pete Fisher

In communiqué , Ace

wrote:

I have only tried modern carvers (170s) at the Tamworth Snow Dome. TBF
the Dynastar 185s are probably a tad long for me anyway but they were a
bargain second hand from Snow and Rock 20 years ago.

How tall & heavy are you? I still use my 185cm Pocket Rockets and
they're certainly not too long for me, but then I'm an aggressive,
6'2" 13-stoner. Some of the Freeride skis are only made in that length
or longer.

Who me or Pip? I am 5'6" 70 Kilos (CBA to convert) and didn't learn to
ski until I was 40. The slightly arthritic hips mean I am hardly an
aggressive skier.

Longer != faster. The only relationship between speed and length is
that in the old days one needed a massively long ski to retain
high-speed stability. Nowadays, with much more rigid construction, the
shorter skis can offer at least as much control as the old long ones.

There you are then. I'm living in the past as always. I must try some
modern skis on a run longer than the Snow Dome.

| Pete Fisher at Home: |
| Voxan Roadster Gilera Nordwest Yamaha WR250Z |
| Gilera GFR Moto Morini 2C/375 |
Old January 25th 07, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jeremy

Pip Luscher wrote in
:

Actually, now that you mention it, my old skis were more stable in a
straight line (hardly surprising) and they always had a good glide on
shallow runs.

I still have a pair of Rossi GX, a pair of Salomon 9100 Equipe, and two
pairs of K2 MSL, all around 200cm. Very occasionally I take one of them
out, and I'm always amazed first that I can actually still ski on them,
even in difficult snow, but more particularly how much more comfortable
they are (especially the MSLs) to go really fast on.

Modern skis (I have Salomon X-Screams and Atomic R9s, neither of which are
even that modern) are far less effort, though!

--
Jeremy

Old January 25th 07, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:05:50 GMT, Pip Luscher
wrote:

Indeed. The key to gliding on shaped skis is to never put them
straight. If you're always very slightly on one edge or another
they'll not give that unstable feeling.

Aha. Just like a snowboard, then.

Just what I was thinking :-)
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
Old January 25th 07, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:48:25 +0100, Ace wrote:

How tall & heavy are you? I still use my 185cm Pocket Rockets and
they're certainly not too long for me, but then I'm an aggressive,
6'2" 13-stoner.

Lightweight!

I bought new skis last year, the 1080 foil, and went even shorter, at
175cm. These are just so agile it's amazing. Pip may remember me
skiing moguls on my wife's 165cm ones last year in Alpe d'Huez.

I remember you swapping them, but I can't remember where we went.

Old January 25th 07, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

wrote:

Indeed. The key to gliding on shaped skis is to never put them
straight. If you're always very slightly on one edge or another
they'll not give that unstable feeling.

Aha. Just like a snowboard, then.

Just what I was thinking :-)

x10!
ouch

--
Hog
'96 *******12 '89 R100RS '81 XS650 '78 RD400

Old January 25th 07, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

allegedly wrote:

Indeed. The key to gliding on shaped skis is to never put them
straight. If you're always very slightly on one edge or another
they'll not give that unstable feeling.

Aha. Just like a snowboard, then.

Only on icy sections. Anything less than that, I run my board flat when
I'm trying to maximise speed and get along flat sections.
Old January 25th 07, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

allegedly wrote:

Indeed. The key to gliding on shaped skis is to never put them
straight. If you're always very slightly on one edge or another
they'll not give that unstable feeling.

Aha. Just like a snowboard, then.

Only on icy sections. Anything less than that, I run my board flat when
I'm trying to maximise speed and get along flat sections.

Oh sure. But you better make sure you keep your weight forward :-)
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
Old January 25th 07, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eddie

allegedly wrote:

Indeed. The key to gliding on shaped skis is to never put them
straight. If you're always very slightly on one edge or another
they'll not give that unstable feeling.

Aha. Just like a snowboard, then.

Only on icy sections. Anything less than that, I run my board flat
when
I'm trying to maximise speed and get along flat sections.

That's what I have trouble with.

Old January 25th 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

allegedly wrote:

Indeed. The key to gliding on shaped skis is to never put them
straight. If you're always very slightly on one edge or another
they'll not give that unstable feeling.

Aha. Just like a snowboard, then.

Only on icy sections. Anything less than that, I run my board flat when
I'm trying to maximise speed and get along flat sections.

Well, many of the flat bits of packed snow I've been on have had lots
of parallel ridges from everyone schussing along them, and the board
has felt terribly twitchy.

As Champ says, I just keep my weight well forward and though the board
may be wobbling and twitching around, it will kick itself straight if
I do let it get sideways a bit.

--
-Pip