Household substitute for Glide wax

Old November 23rd 04, 08:57 PM
SteveW

Default Household substitute for Glide wax

I am in SW Missouri, and I have a very used pair of ebay skis, boots, and
poles. It does not snow here enough to justify the expense of state of the
art gear. I do not have access to a ski shop, so what can I use for glide
wax that is around the house? I wonder about car wax, WD-40, furniture
polish, floor wax, candle wax etc. What would work the best?

Thanks

Steve

Old November 23rd 04, 09:09 PM
Tommy T.

Paraffin (Missouri paraffin, not British paraffin) will work but durability
is poorand it may cause problems like picking up dirt. Give me your address
and I'll mail you some left over glide wax. Not withstanding the desire of
a long distance tourer or racer for the perfect, temperature and condition
specific glide wax, any glide wax is better than none. Even the
designations "alpine," "snowboard," "racing" and "touring" needn't worry
you. Given your description of the skis and the opportunities, you'll do
fine with any glider.

Email me at thomaswtaylordotverizondot net.

Tommy T.

news

Old November 24th 04, 12:51 AM
gr

SteveW wrote:
I am in SW Missouri, and I have a very used pair of ebay skis, boots, and
poles. It does not snow here enough to justify the expense of state of the
art gear. I do not have access to a ski shop, so what can I use for glide
wax that is around the house? I wonder about car wax, WD-40, furniture
polish, floor wax, candle wax etc. What would work the best?

Thanks

Steve

In my beginner days, and for some of the folks I give skis to (xc
touring type) we have had good success with car wax on ski bottoms.
Polish for the tips and tails and just apply and dry for the fishscale
section. In wet snow it is essential to put something on the scales or
big ice clumps will form. Avoid oils and things with solvent as these
will likely damage the bases.
gr
Old December 9th 04, 03:28 PM
Trailpatrol

You can pick up individual use packets of MaxiGlide online, at REI .com
or Backcountry.com. The good thing about the real thing is they are
forumlated to not pick up moisture, dirt, etc.

Ski safe,
Hans