Winter Storm Warning...

Old February 27th 04, 03:28 PM
John Red-Horse

In article , wrote:

But we still can't get good beer.

Nice try; you can always feel comfort in supporting all those kids you
don't have...

*wink* *wink*

cheers,
john

Old February 28th 04, 04:20 PM
MH

"AstroPax" wrote in message
Bwaahaahaaaahaaa !!!

From the NWS Forecast Office, SLC:

...WINTER STORM WARNING THROUGH NOON FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS CONTINUED THE WINTER STORM WARNING
FOR ALL OF THE MOUNTAINS OF UTAH AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST IDAHO THROUGH
NOON ON FRIDAY. ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH FRIDAY NOON ARE EXPECTED TO
RANGE FROM 1 TO 2 AND A HALF FEET. AREAS FAVORED BY SOUTHWEST FLOW
WILL RECEIVE THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

-Astro

Woohoo!!!

We're getting a ton of new snow at Tahoe as well. I'll be at Squaw Saturday.
: D

Martha

Old February 28th 04, 04:21 PM
snoig

On 2004-02-26, MattB penned:
AstroPax wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:08:44 CST, klaus wrote:

It's coming down hard. 2"/hr. I already have at least 8" on the
driveway.

Sounds great!

Can you post a depth/accumulation report, about every 15 minutes, or
so...for the next 24 hours?

-Astro

They say it's headed this way too. Just in time for the weekend!

Matt (weekend warrior these days)

Oh?

We have an overnight in Silverthorne planned. Spend Saturday at
A-Basin, then Sunday at Beaver Creek (never been).

Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to miss Summit County. It's
still pretty much blue sky up here this morning (2/27). They say 1"
to 3" overnight. The Basin is still pretty thin. Beaver Creek is
probably your best bet.

snoig

Old February 28th 04, 09:46 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-28, snoig penned:
"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

Oh?

We have an overnight in Silverthorne planned. Spend Saturday at
A-Basin, then Sunday at Beaver Creek (never been).

Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to miss Summit County. It's
still pretty much blue sky up here this morning (2/27). They say 1"
to 3" overnight. The Basin is still pretty thin. Beaver Creek is
probably your best bet.

Heh.

Well, here's what happened ...

Got to A-Basin super early. The visibility was poor and got poorer. I
actually had a few great runs to start out, but the combination of the
visibility and the conditions (dust on crust) got to be too much ... I
torqued my knee several times when I edged for hardpack and hit powder
instead. (Any advice on how to handle those kind of conditions?) We
tried a few bump runs, but while I could see the bumps, I couldn't see
how deep the troughs were ... There were some fun spots in the trees,
but there just aren't that many trees at A-Basin ... not ones I can ski
through, anyway.

I have to say, the visibility didn't bother me all that much, and
neither did the hardpack -- pretty similar to much of my Eastern
experience. But repeatedly torquing my knees definitely took its toll
on my ability to relax and enjoy.

Anyway, skied from 8:30 to 11, then came in for a break, as apparently
everyone else did, too. Granular being accelerated into your face by
the wind just isn't all that fun. Eric was coming down with something,
too. In the end, we decided to head home for the weekend. I would have
stuck around and skied -- I need that Beaver Creek pin for my
collection, and I'm thinking tomorrow will be much better snow, anyway
-- but Eric wanted to get home to recuperate, and I know that I'd want
the same courtesy if I were sick.

So here I am ...

--
monique

Old February 28th 04, 10:12 PM
klaus

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
... I torqued my knee several times when I edged for hardpack and
hit powder instead. (Any advice on how to handle those kind of
conditions?)

Uhhhh.. move to a ski town... Or at least where it snows?

-klaus

Old February 28th 04, 10:46 PM
AstroPax

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:46:33 CST, "Monique Y. Herman"
wrote:

torqued my knee several times when I edged for hardpack and hit powder
instead. (Any advice on how to handle those kind of conditions?)

Simple. Don't handle it at all. In other words, avoid it all
together.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old February 28th 04, 11:04 PM
lal_truckee

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Got to A-Basin super early. The visibility was poor and got poorer. I
actually had a few great runs to start out, but the combination of the
visibility and the conditions (dust on crust) got to be too much ... I
torqued my knee several times when I edged for hardpack and hit powder
instead. (Any advice on how to handle those kind of conditions?)

So, nothing's changed since I was there last week?

Anyway, about the knees. It sounds like you maybe get a bit sideways in
crusty conditions? Slight skid? I always found that in variable cond
it's vital (as in vital to my knees) that I have no sideways component
in the skis - be centered and ride a carving ski, with the skis close
enough together that they each always see the same conditions. Then if
conditions change my only reaction needs to be the weight distro between
skis. Equal for the pow, unbalanced to the outside for the hardpack.
Nothing untoward can happen. If I have a sideways component, when I run
from crust to pow I get an unpleasently torqued knee; so I try not to do
that.

How'd you like A-Basin? I liked it. I thought it had more character in
it's bunny lift than 10 Vails. A real ski area, as lift served goes,
created by local skiers before the "industry" discovered money could be
made enticing vacationers if the slopes were easy enough, and started
putting lifts everywhere there was a slight incline.

Old February 29th 04, 05:24 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-28, lal_truckee penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Got to A-Basin super early. The visibility was poor and got poorer.
I actually had a few great runs to start out, but the combination of
the visibility and the conditions (dust on crust) got to be too much
... I torqued my knee several times when I edged for hardpack and hit
powder instead. (Any advice on how to handle those kind of
conditions?)

So, nothing's changed since I was there last week?

If my description rings true, I guess not!

Anyway, about the knees. It sounds like you maybe get a bit sideways
in crusty conditions? Slight skid?

Well, I think of crusty as hard ridges -- tracked-out snow that has
hardened in the sun. This was more of the "some fluff on top of solid
hardpack" thing.

In any case, you may be onto something. I had (what I believe to have
been) beautiful turns for the first few runs. Then, as visibility
became an issue, I tried to slow myself down, and my implementation
probably involved skidding my tails.

I always found that in variable cond it's vital (as in vital to my
knees) that I have no sideways component in the skis - be centered and
ride a carving ski, with the skis close enough together that they each
always see the same conditions. Then if conditions change my only
reaction needs to be the weight distro between skis. Equal for the
pow, unbalanced to the outside for the hardpack. Nothing untoward can
happen. If I have a sideways component, when I run from crust to pow I
get an unpleasently torqued knee; so I try not to do that.

I will probably have to think about this quite a bit before I quite get
what you're saying. You're definitely describing my symptoms, so I need
to figure this out =)

If the visibility had been better, I probably wouldn't have had quite
the trouble dealing with the terrain. When I was skiing through the
trees, the visibility improved and I didn't have these problems.

How'd you like A-Basin? I liked it. I thought it had more character in
it's bunny lift than 10 Vails. A real ski area, as lift served goes,
created by local skiers before the "industry" discovered money could
be made enticing vacationers if the slopes were easy enough, and
started putting lifts everywhere there was a slight incline.

Well, of the 11 days I've skied this year, 6 have been at A-Basin, so
I'd have to say that I like it a lot. I like the "local" feel to
it, the lack of a commercialized base "village," and the terrain.
People complain about the lack of sunshine and the cold, but it seems
like these are precisely the factors that allow snow at A-Basin to stay
fresh longer than it does at other areas. And on days with fresh snow,
A-Basin is a wonderland.

In fact, I think my ideal pass would be an A-Basin/Winter Park combo
pass. Both have the "local" feel, and both have not only terrain that
challenges me now, but terrain that will challenge me as I continue to
improve.

Granted, every resort has something nice to offer, and a posh resort
every now and then won't ruin me. I do like Vail's bowls, if not their
lift lines. The current compromise solution of a Colorado pass and a
Winter Park fourpass is definitely working out nicely -- tons of variety
for a low, low price.

--
monique