On route Hotels

Old January 12th 05, 06:13 PM
MoonMan

Roy wrote:
"Abairsty" wrote in message
Driving down to Avoriaz(from Calais) later in the season.
Any help on suitable places for an over night Hotel stop..approx 4-5
hours from calais.
Many thanks

We night-stopped in Troyes - but that was after a long UK leg plus
using the ferry from Dover. Dijon is a much better idea if you must,
or particularly want to, break up the journey. I have driven to the
Megeve / Chamonix area a few times now and have no qualms about doing
it in one, especially after using the tunnel - it is so smooth, fast
and convenient that it is well worth the extra money. Having said
that, if you book well in advance it costs pretty much the same as
the ferry.

How far in advance do you have to book? I have yet to see a price less than
double the ferry!

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 12th 05, 07:21 PM
The Older Gentleman

Abairsty wrote:

Driving down to Avoriaz(from Calais) later in the season. Any help on
suitable places for an over night Hotel stop..approx 4-5 hours from
calais. Many thanks

Have a look at the Campanile chain. Decent grub, hotels everywhere, very
good breakfasts, and they serve food on Sunday nights - rarer than you
might think in France.

Anyway, if you're driving properly you ought to be in Avoriaz, five
hours after leaving Calais ;-)

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old January 12th 05, 07:21 PM
The Older Gentleman

David Brown ) wrote:

Cheap and Cheerful
http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule...e/france.shtml

****ing awful places.

"Hotel Portaloo"

But clean and cheap.

Old January 13th 05, 07:18 AM
Alun J

MoonMan wrote:
Roy wrote:

"Abairsty" wrote in message

egeve / Chamonix area a few times now and have no qualms about doing
it in one, especially after using the tunnel - it is so smooth, fast
and convenient that it is well worth the extra money. Having said
that, if you book well in advance it costs pretty much the same as
the ferry.

How far in advance do you have to book? I have yet to see a price less than
double the ferry!

With a decent lead time we usually pay about £90 on the tunnel
Did at xmas same for easter

Alun
Old January 13th 05, 08:23 AM
Clive Perry

"MoonMan" wrote in message
How far in advance do you have to book? I have yet to see a price less

than
double the ferry!

I think the price depends somewhat on the departure and return times you
select.

I took the tunnel over the week before Christmas, and yes I did pay over
£200, but it was a 7am start and 5pm return ( on Christmas Eve ). I am sure
I had a quote for about £90 but that would have entailed a night stop in
France rather than the 9 hour *daylight* drive to Bourg St. Maurice.

Clive

Old January 13th 05, 04:46 PM
MoonMan

Alun J wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Roy wrote:

"Abairsty" wrote in message

egeve / Chamonix area a few times now and have no qualms about doing
it in one, especially after using the tunnel - it is so smooth, fast
and convenient that it is well worth the extra money. Having said
that, if you book well in advance it costs pretty much the same as
the ferry.

How far in advance do you have to book? I have yet to see a price
less than double the ferry!

With a decent lead time we usually pay about £90 on the tunnel
Did at xmas same for easter

How far in advance was that? I haven't seen less than £200 for years.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 14th 05, 12:57 PM
Alun J

MoonMan wrote:
Alun J wrote:

MoonMan wrote:

Roy wrote:

"Abairsty" wrote in message

egeve / Chamonix area a few times now and have no qualms about doing

How far in advance was that? I haven't seen less than £200 for years.

About a month for a post 17:00 departure for a 'high car'
on the formel un point we have used them but got pi**sed off with groups
of yoofs hanging around (as the is no human receptionist on duty) and
the fact that the local working grils seem to find them handy for taking
their trade back to! We stayed in on at Reimes and it was so noisy we
moved the the novotel . Gennerally now we use the Ibis at reims after
the above crossing which leaves about 400 miles to cham in the morning.
Just checked now for an example...........
Folstone-calais 24 march 20:00 return 2 April 08:00 for a car
prices is 98