Travel between Kitzbuhel (or Salzburg) and La Plagne

Old January 2nd 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Default Travel between Kitzbuhel (or Salzburg) and La Plagne

Hi,
Lucky me I have back to back ski hols booked in Kitzbuhel and La
Plagne.
Bad news is my flights don't work out so I need to know the fastest
and cheapest way to get from either Kitz (or Salzburg) to Plagne 1800
on a Saturday morning (1st March).
I know Aime la Plagne is on the rail network and you can get a train I
think from Salzburg but it's about 10 or 11 hours. Anyone got any
bright ideas?
Thanks.....Richard
Old January 3rd 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Jan 2, 3:18*pm, wrote:
Hi,
Lucky me I have back to back ski hols booked in Kitzbuhel and La
Plagne.
Bad news is my flights don't work out so I need to know the fastest
and cheapest way to get from either Kitz (or Salzburg) to Plagne 1800
on a Saturday morning (1st March).
I know Aime la Plagne is on the rail network and you can get a train I
think from Salzburg but it's about 10 or 11 hours. Anyone got any
bright ideas?
Thanks.....Richard

Not the best combination of resorts! Have you thought about hiring a
car at the airport? Most of the larger companies will allow you to
pick-up at one airport and drop off at another. This saves you the
cost of transfers from airport to resort too (which can be expensive)
and unless you are staying two weeks the cost may work out acceptable
(allow £150 for car for a week + £100 for petrol and Swiss road tax).
Would say the drive is about 10 hrs so not much quicker than train.
Train may be cheaper and less hassle though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk

Old January 3rd 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On Jan 2, 3:18*pm, wrote:
Hi,
Lucky me I have back to back ski hols booked in Kitzbuhel and La
Plagne.
Bad news is my flights don't work out so I need to know the fastest
and cheapest way to get from either Kitz (or Salzburg) to Plagne 1800
on a Saturday morning (1st March).
I know Aime la Plagne is on the rail network and you can get a train I
think from Salzburg but it's about 10 or 11 hours. Anyone got any
bright ideas?
Thanks.....Richard

I've a feeling that Plagne 1800 is actually on a different road than
the lower resorts, so the Aime station may not be your best bet in any
case. Someone more local might have a slightly better answer though -
I haven't been there in a while.

I do know for a fact that not all trains stop at that station - some
just deal with Moutiers and Bourg.

Car's probably going to be more pleasant in the end though.

Matt
Old January 5th 08, 11:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
rzfb0

On Jan 3, 1:58 pm, Matt T wrote:
On Jan 2, 3:18 pm, wrote:

[...]

Having checked Google maps it looks like it's 16 miles from Aime to
Plagne 1800
I guess train and taxi is looking favourite at the moment
Old January 9th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
ParalyticSkiCrazie

You can get a taxi from Aime to La Plagne 1800 - I passed many last
week on the way down from there. Be careful if you are not catching
your outbound flight if booked with a package holiday - they may
automatically cancel your inbound one!

Check out the Mine Bar for some of the best Apres Ski I have come
across. Also getting back into resort is best through Aime le Plagne
avoiding Plagne Central. There is a free bus from 1800 to Plagne
Central that runs at night - if you can get yourself out of Mine Bar!!

salzburg Beamah European Ski Resorts 6 March 24th 06 10:30 PM
Salzburg to Wagrain John European Ski Resorts 1 March 11th 05 08:01 AM
Kitzbuhel David European Ski Resorts 3 January 26th 05 09:13 AM
No Kitzbuhel on TV? Mike Treseler Alpine Skiing 1 January 22nd 05 08:49 PM
Summer in Kitzbuhel bubba European Ski Resorts 8 March 18th 04 08:38 AM