Tignes info requested

Old January 22nd 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Luc

Default Tignes info requested

I will be in Tignes for a week starting Feb 3 and staying in hotel Diva
in Val Claret. I am a strong intermediate skier. Where would you
recommend I ski? Any do's and don't. How long does it take to go to Val
D' Isere? Can you ski back or you need to take another lift? Is there a
bus between the two...how often, last bus, cost, etc How modern are the
lifts? Are there easier off-piste areas? Do you need a picture for the
ski pass? Any good bars? I hear they have a nice spa for après-ski.
This is my first trip there so all info is appreciated.

Luc

Old January 24th 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Martin

Oh boy so many questions ....

1. There's plenty to keep you busy in Espace Killy. Where to ski depends on
the best snow and the weather .... I'd recommend asking once you're there
and don't be in too much of a hurry to get to Val D'Isere.
2. Val D'Isere and Tignes are linked ... easy to get there should you wish.
Time depends upon which of the several routes you take, how fast you ski and
if there are any lift queues.
3. You need to use the lift system to get between the two .... DO NOT MISS
THE LAST LIFT as the cost of a taxi back is massive !
4. Lifts are very modern ... try the underground train to the top of the
Grande Motte as a change from the linked quads.
5. You'll need a photo for lift pass if you're buying a ticket for more than
a couple of days
6. With a guide there's some fantastic off-piste.

Check out the web site http://www.tignes.net/

Have a great time .... you're going to one of my all time favourite resorts

Martin

--
mjn at onetel dot com

ups.com...

Old January 24th 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Brian McIlwrath

Martin wrote:
: 5. You'll need a photo for lift pass if you're buying a ticket for more than
: a couple of days

It's now more than *EIGHT* days with the new electronic system!
Old January 24th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 24 Jan, 11:15, "Martin" wrote:
[...]

"Luc" wrote in oglegroups.com...
I will be in Tignes for a week starting Feb 3 and staying in hotel Diva
in Val Claret. I am a strong intermediate skier. Where would you
recommend I ski? Any do's and don't. How long does it take to go to Val
D' Isere? Can you ski back or you need to take another lift? Is there a
bus between the two...how often, last bus, cost, etc How modern are the
lifts? Are there easier off-piste areas? Do you need a picture for the
ski pass? Any good bars? I hear they have a nice spa for après-ski.
This is my first trip there so all info is appreciated.

Luc

Hi Luc,

Martin's covered the main points. Get a full Espace Killy pass and if
you're a strong intermediate you'll do a lot of it in the week. Don't
need a photo now for a 6 day one as it's all gone hands free. There's
no one area I'd especially recommend for skiing - I live here and I'm
still not bored of any of it. I like the legendary blacks like the Face
de Bellevarde or the Sache, but I still love all the blues in the bowl
between Tignes and Val, or up the Tichot and Gratalu lifts (that go
from Val Claret). I don't off piste much, but again it's legendary -
but please take a guide and note the conditions - I've said it before
but I'll say it again: some of the mountains have huge reputations for
being amazing but dangerous and people (even very experienced pisteurs)
are buried each year.

From Val Claret you can get to Val D'Is very easily - take the Fresse

or Tufs lift and then ski down Diebold or OK/Orange to La Daille. If
you really go at it, you'll probably do it in 20 minutes. That counts
as Val D'Is but you want to take the free bus a couple of stops to be
in the centre. Alternatively, from the top of Fresse or Tufs, take
Marmottons lift and then the Face piste, or take the Borsat lift and
then all the way down Genepy and Santons pistes (or the black Epaule du
charvet instead of Santons) - either route takes you to the centre of
Val D'Is.

Busses between the two resorts are somewhat lacking (something that may
be rectified should STGM actually buy STVI) but run from Val Claret to
Val d'Is: 9.30, 11.00, 14.00, 15.00, 16.30, 17.30. They come back 9.30,
10.15, 14.00, 15.00, 16.30, 17.30. That's Monday to Friday, Saturday
they don't run, Sunday is less frequent and I'd check in resort. I
think it's 7 euros one way, but only about 9 euros return. If you miss
the last ski lift up to Tignes (Tommeuse lift closes 16.45) you can ski
down to La Daille and pick up the last bus at 17.30, but you're meant
to buy the ticket in Val d'Is centre first, so the bus drivers can get
arsey about it. Taxis between the two resorts are about 30 or 40 Euros
I think.

Good bars - in Val Claret the Couloir is my favourite. Popular with all
nationalities, good drinks, good food. Ask Chris for recommendations on
his amazing array of single malts. A new bar has just opened opposite
the Schuss building (near the Golf parking) which is meant to be nice
but I haven't been. In Le Lac, I like the Loop, the Jambar, the
Angelbar, the Grotte de Yeti. In Lavachet (where I live) I like TCs,
the Lavachet Lounge and the Brasero.

Lots of Spas for relaxing apres ski - many of them are in the big
hotels - Montana in Lac, Altitued Spa at hotel Les Campanules also in
Lac, Centre Spas and Beaute montagne in Val Claret. The brand new
swimming pool in Lac (Le Lagon) also has a spa section as well as a
Gym.

More information at tignes.net, tignesnet.com and tignes.co.uk.

Enjoy your stay - who knows, you might end up living here too...

Matt