Driving from Alta to Heavenly

Old October 30th 04, 06:02 PM
uglymoney

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:17:34 GMT, "AH" wrote:

Hi all..

I am going to be skiing at Alta/Snowbird on the 6th and 7th of December,
then driving on the 8th to Heavenly and skiing there for 2 days... Map point
says that it will take about 9 hours, which is fine..

However, what I didn't realise is that this motorway is pretty "high" (asl)
and it seems to snow there.. my question is, how likely is the highway to be
closed, and if it does snow and stay open, how much will this affect my
journey?

Also, I'm hiring a car in LA (we're doing a 3 week trip going out as far as
SLC) and I need to get some snow chains. Just need them to last three
weeks.. anyone got a suggestion about where to buy some cheap ones?

Here is a nice website with pics of the trip across Nevada on
interstate 80..

http://members.usol.com/%7Eargentina97/i801w.html

nate
Old October 30th 04, 11:55 PM
AH

"uglymoney" wrote in message
[...]

Looks good.. let s hope they are that clear when I hit them in December..

Old October 31st 04, 02:55 AM
Ross Cameron

AH wrote:

"AH" wrote in message
.uk...

Hi all..

I am going to be skiing at Alta/Snowbird on the 6th and 7th of December,
then driving on the 8th to Heavenly and skiing there for 2 days... Map
point says that it will take about 9 hours, which is fine..

This thread is getting long now, however I have another question, so I
thought i'd just reply to my first post..

Has anyone got a suggestion on where to stop (maybe 2 places) on the way
from SLC to Reno on the I-80?

There really is only three stops (unless you count Wells). Look it up
on a map...

Old October 31st 04, 03:04 AM
Ross Cameron

Bob Lee wrote:

AH wrote:

AH wrote:

Hi all..

I am going to be skiing at Alta/Snowbird on the 6th and 7th of December,
then driving on the 8th to Heavenly and skiing there for 2 days... Map
point says that it will take about 9 hours, which is fine..

This thread is getting long now, however I have another question, so I
thought i'd just reply to my first post..

Has anyone got a suggestion on where to stop (maybe 2 places) on the way
from SLC to Reno on the I-80?

Stop for what? The choices (from memory) are Wendover, Wells, Elko,
Battle Mountain, Winnemucca, Fernley, and Sparks. Unless you're dying
to have some Basque food (in which case I recommend Elko and Winnemucca)
or hit a cathouse (no recs there, sorry, though I hear good things about
the row in Winnemucca), the only reason to stop would be gas or to stay
in a generic motel - and there are some of those all along the way. Of
all those towns, I guess I'd recommend Elko as the best for an overnight
stay, but man, none of them are what you'd call oases (oasises?
oasii?).

Whatever you do, do not stop in Battle Mountain.

Bob

Actually there is a very cool coffee shop in Elko on the West side of
town in a mini-mall kind of thing. Worth the stop. Not for the coffee,
but there is very retro gift items and some really off the wall cards
and stuff. But that is the only stop I take.

By the way, that drive has taken me more than 12 hours during dumps.

Ross

Old October 31st 04, 03:40 AM
Ross Cameron

pigo wrote:

"bdubya" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:18:28 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:

What kind of car are you getting? Good snow tires and moderation of speed
should do you just fine.

If you know a place in SLC that rents cars with good snow tires,
please advise. I'd really appreciate it.

bw

Like a FWD sedan but with better than normal tires, type of thing? I know
there are lot's of Montero's and Sub. Wagons and the like. We've got the
normal places like Enterprise. That's one of the ones I go to. I've never
paid too much attention to their tires though. I get one on the weekends
sometimes for a quick jaunt to Vegas.

pigo

Here's the real deal...

Don't worry about it. If its dumping, take the shuttle. If its not, no
worries.

Ross

Old October 31st 04, 04:27 AM
pigo

"Ross Cameron" wrote in message

AH wrote:

"AH" wrote in message
.uk...

Hi all..

I am going to be skiing at Alta/Snowbird on the 6th and 7th of December,
then driving on the 8th to Heavenly and skiing there for 2 days... Map
point says that it will take about 9 hours, which is fine..

This thread is getting long now, however I have another question, so I
thought i'd just reply to my first post..

Has anyone got a suggestion on where to stop (maybe 2 places) on the way
from SLC to Reno on the I-80?

There really is only three stops (unless you count Wells). Look it up on
a map...

You've never been there have you?

Old October 31st 04, 05:19 AM
Ross Cameron

pigo wrote:

"Ross Cameron" wrote in message

AH wrote:

"AH" wrote in message
.co.uk...

Hi all..

I am going to be skiing at Alta/Snowbird on the 6th and 7th of December,
then driving on the 8th to Heavenly and skiing there for 2 days... Map
point says that it will take about 9 hours, which is fine..

This thread is getting long now, however I have another question, so I
thought i'd just reply to my first post..

Has anyone got a suggestion on where to stop (maybe 2 places) on the way
from SLC to Reno on the I-80?

There really is only three stops (unless you count Wells). Look it up on
a map...

You've never been there have you?

Are you talkin to me? You must not be talkin to me...

Old October 31st 04, 05:35 AM
Ross Cameron

AstroPax wrote:

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:19:08 -0600, Ross Cameron
wrote:

Are you talkin to me? You must not be talkin to me...

Yes, I think he is talking to YOU...yes I do.

-Astro

---

http://ski.astropax.com
---

Yo - I could write a guidebook on that corridor, dog. BTW just got well
over 2 feet in the past three days on the top of Fred's @ Targhee...I'm
looking at 4" of fresh in Teton Valley right now...look for an early
opening.

Ross

Old October 31st 04, 06:18 AM
Ross Cameron

AstroPax wrote:

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:35:05 -0600, Ross Cameron
wrote:

Yo - I could write a guidebook on that corridor, dog. BTW just got well
over 2 feet in the past three days on the top of Fred's @ Targhee...I'm
looking at 4" of fresh in Teton Valley right now...look for an early
opening.

Just out of curiosity, what is your current snow depth at 10,000'?

Targhee is reporting 0" mid-mountain, obviously wrong.

-Astro

---
http://ski.astropax.com
---

No way to tell what the depth is right now...the resort is not open and
noone has really taken a yardstick to the top yet. My best guess would
be in the 4'+ range. There was a foot at the base yesterday and at
least that dropped today...I would not hike anything of consequence
without a beacon until it opens but I am a woosie demo-lovin fartass
that can't find his way across Nev!!

Ross

Old October 31st 04, 09:45 AM
foot2foot

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Get a 4x10 piece of 1/4 ply or so, screw a 4 in piece of a 2x4 in the
middle of it; lay it down 2x4 up, lay your chains over it properly
oriented, and drive up on the 2x4. Voila, you can manipulate the chains
easily. Whole thing fits in the chain box. No sweat.

Excuse me, but, a five by ten foot piece of plywood fits in the
*chainbox*??

And how do you get the 4 in the piece of the 2 x 4 in the middle?

I never put the things on until I get stuck anyway.