Ole-Einar wants to put on some weight

Old January 28th 04, 08:38 AM
Anders Lustig

Default Ole-Einar wants to put on some weight

Ole-Einar Bjørndalen is concerned about his weight. The incessant
racing has left him at 65kg, two kilograms lighter than he´d like
to be. http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=211590

At 179cm, his current weight gives him a BMI of 20.3 and even
his goal weight of 67kg would make it only 20.9 - an almost
shockingly low figure for an absolute elite skier!

From Per Elofsson to Bjørn Dæhlie, other international winners
have normally had BMIs within 22.0-23.0 (with some exceptions
up to Juha Mieto´s 25.8) but is there anyone to match skinny
Ole-Einar? (Odd-Bjørn Hjelmeset is a heavy 21.3 in comparison.)

Anders (BMI 20.5)
Old January 28th 04, 09:24 PM
Terje Mathisen

Anders Lustig wrote:

Anders (BMI 20.5)

I'm just 19.6, which is a bit low, I guess.

Terje

--
-
Old January 29th 04, 03:07 AM

How do you calculate the BMI? I can't remember, or maybe never knew. My
weight and height are pretty close to Bjornedalen it appears, but I
always thought that probably losing a few kg. would probably help my
racing, as long as it wasn't muscle that disappeared. Presumably
Ole-Einar wants to put it on as muscle, not fat!

Best, Peter

Old January 29th 04, 03:29 AM

Sorry, it's too late at night---I got 165 lbs. = 75 kg. mixed up, and
called myself 65 kg. So I guess I'm plenty chubby, as I expected!
That adds 15% to the BMI, so puts me well up there in the mid 20's,
even though I don't know exactly how to calculate it.

Best, Peter

Old January 29th 04, 07:42 AM
Anders Lustig

Terje Mathisen wrote in message ...

Anders (BMI 20.5)

Well, Anders is 178cm and his body fat percentage is
(despite all those hours of training) probably quite
not in the elite skier league, and since he has short
legs and wide hips he *should* have a slightly taller
guy´s upperbody muscle mass and hence a somewhat
higher BMI...

I'm just 19.6, which is a bit low, I guess.

"Son, you have a future in sports, but not in
skiing!"?:-)

Seriously, I understand that the current method of
calculating BMI is slightly skewed; it gives a bit
too low values for shorter people and high for tall
ones.

A more accurate formula would be weight divided by
third power of height, and for instance 179/65 would
give a lower New Improved BMI than, say, 171/57.

Anders
Old January 29th 04, 04:10 PM
Edgar Hee

wrote in message
.ca...
How do you calculate the BMI? I can't remember, or maybe never knew.

Best, Peter

Look at the American CDC web site:
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/
Keep in mind that the BMI measurement does not distinguish between fat and
muscle/bone mass.
Edgar