SNCF March Tickets to the Alps

Old November 11th 03, 11:37 PM
Saroff

Default SNCF March Tickets to the Alps

Hello!

I am going to Val D'Isere in March and was planning on beginning and
ending my trip in Paris. I am likely going to take the TGV down and
back on the twin Saturday's that bookend my trips.

I've heard that these TGVs are very crowded, expensive, and difficult
to get tickets for, so a few questions:

(1) When does SNCF makes these tickets available for public sale? The
website currently only allows you to purchase tickets until January.

(2) Is it cheaper/better to buy them from SNCF in France or from
RailEurope here in NYC?

(3) Any other tips?

Thanks for your help!

John Saroff
Old November 12th 03, 07:29 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I've heard that these TGVs are very crowded, expensive, and difficult
to get tickets for, so a few questions:

Not my experience at all! Crowded? If you consider a full car crowded,
sure, all seats may be taken, but as far as I know, they don't allow
non-seated riders (no standing-room-only situations). Expensive? There are
a number of options available that reduce the cost, such as 4-day railpasses
that often cost less than two round-trips. Even at regular price they seem
fairly reasonable to me. Difficult to get tickets for? Not my experience
at all... you just go into any SNCF station for standard tickets...

(1) When does SNCF makes these tickets available for public sale? The
website currently only allows you to purchase tickets until January.

I believe they offer tickets only 90 days in advance.

(2) Is it cheaper/better to buy them from SNCF in France or from
RailEurope here in NYC?

Yes, it's cheaper, but unlike another poster, I found the difference to be
more on the order of 20%, not 2-3 times as much. And you do *not* need to
make your reservations through RailEurope, just purchase the ticket from
them and make the actual reservation when you get to France. On that you
*will* save about half the cost. For what it's worth, I ran your trip on
SNCF's website in French, and came up with 81.80 Euros each way, with a TGV
leg from Paris to Chambery, and a standard train from there to Bourg St.
Maurice (which is apparently 32km from Val D'Isere). At that price, a 4-day
RailPass will likely save you a fair amount of money.

(3) Any other tips?

Learn a small amount of practical French, and do *not* go to the help
(Accueil) booth! They are most unhelpful, while the agents at the normal
ticketing booths are very pleasant and will either take care of your there
or let you know where you need to go.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

om...

Old November 12th 03, 08:47 AM
Krist

Saroff wrote:
Hello!

I am going to Val D'Isere in March and was planning on beginning and
ending my trip in Paris. I am likely going to take the TGV down and
back on the twin Saturday's that bookend my trips.

March is high season in the alps. On saturday many people travel to/from
the area as for a skiing holiday. For that purpose the SNCF runs many
direct TGV from all over France (and even Belgium and the Netherlands)
to the Alpine valleys, arriving there in the morning, and returning in
the afternoon.
But tickets on these trains are often hard to get, as travel agents
usually buy them up in whole blocks, to sell them as part of skiing
holiday packages.
So only couple of expensive fares might be available when the train
opens for booking... (two months in advance, if I'm not mistaken...)

Krist

Old November 12th 03, 09:23 AM
Dominique Foucart

(Saroff) wrote in message . com...
Hello!

I am going to Val D'Isere in March and was planning on beginning and
ending my trip in Paris. I am likely going to take the TGV down and
back on the twin Saturday's that bookend my trips.

I've heard that these TGVs are very crowded, expensive, and difficult
to get tickets for, so a few questions:

March will be low season in France, so you should not worry too much.
Beware however that those TGV are going high speed most often only
till Lyon or Geneva, they "convert" in a "stop at each resort" tramway
as of the first resort on the line.

(1) When does SNCF makes these tickets available for public sale? The
website currently only allows you to purchase tickets until January.

You can book exactly 2 months in advance (today, last booking day is
January 12, 2004). If you want to get the best buy, you are better off
buying your tickets on exactly the dates (for both going and return)
that are 2 months from your journey. E.g. yesterday, I got excellent
deals on tickets going back on January 11th. The first leg of the
journey (on jan 3) was still a good deal.

(2) Is it cheaper/better to buy them from SNCF in France or from
RailEurope here in NYC?

I am using the SNCF site very regularly (5 to 10 times a year) for
travelling from Brussels to either Paris, Geneva or Cluses, and always
found them very professionnal. I would encourage you to go through
them. You can probably choose to have your tickets delivered by mail
to you in NYC or waiting you in Paris.

(3) Any other tips?

Make sure you have all necessary information on the connections you
will require when arriving at the train station that serves your
resort. Most often, coaches are connecting with TGV's, so it shouldn't
be a problem, but it's always safe to check with the resort's Tourist
Office.

Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome !

John Saroff

Dominique Foucart
Skiing and Hiking in Haute Savoie
www.samoens.int.ms
Old November 12th 03, 09:42 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Saroff schrieb:

I am going to Val D'Isere in March and was planning on beginning and
ending my trip in Paris. I am likely going to take the TGV down and
back on the twin Saturday's that bookend my trips.

I've heard that these TGVs are very crowded, expensive, and difficult
to get tickets for, so a few questions:

(1) When does SNCF makes these tickets available for public sale? The
website currently only allows you to purchase tickets until January.

They can add TGVs to the schedule.

I found for 27th of December departures for Bourg-St. Maurice direct
from Paris at

7:50 (double-deck)
8:50
9:14 (double-deck)
10:14
11:10
12:47
13:40 (double-deck)
15:30

This is not bad for a holiday destination. Most but not all of these
trains should also run in March, maybe with alterated schedules. Avoid
changes to regional trains as they might get crowded, indeed.

Regards & X-post, ULF