Scotland at easter

Old March 5th 05, 09:13 AM
John Ricketts

Default Scotland at easter

Planning to shoot up and make a long easter weekend. Things are good now but
who knows in 3 weeks? I have previously stayed in Fort William, which is on
the doorstep of Nevis, 27 minutes (viamichelin) from Glencoe and about 90
minutes from Aviemore (too far, unless no other options). This seems to me
to give the best possibility of being able to find some decent snow, but is
there a more centralised location that anyone can recommend? That is,
somewhere a bit nearer to Aviemore (still with plenty of last minute cheap
accomodation!) that would (possibly) bring Glenshee into the frame too?

Old March 5th 05, 09:31 AM
ash

Fort William is a good base but it must be nearer 45mins to get to Glencoe,
though Nevis Range is always my first option.
.uk...

Old March 5th 05, 10:04 AM
Adrian Tupper

"John Ricketts" wrote in
.uk:

Planning to shoot up and make a long easter weekend. Things are good
now but who knows in 3 weeks? I have previously stayed in Fort
William, which is on the doorstep of Nevis, 27 minutes (viamichelin)
from Glencoe and about 90 minutes from Aviemore (too far, unless no
other options). This seems to me to give the best possibility of being
able to find some decent snow, but is there a more centralised
location that anyone can recommend? That is, somewhere a bit nearer to
Aviemore (still with plenty of last minute cheap accomodation!) that
would (possibly) bring Glenshee into the frame too?

You seem to want somewhere in between Nevis and Cairngorm. The small
town of Newtonmore is one option. There are other things to do there
too if the snow melts. Glenshee and Glencoe will be further but
you can't have 'em all. (Glenshee can be reached via Pitlochry).

If you want to give yourself the choice of eastern centres then
Pitlochry is probably the best option. Again, there are other things to
do of it's to warm for snow. Pitlochry-Nevis is no more than 1.5 hours
I suspect.

Glenshee was good last wekeend. Better still this weekend with an extra
18" of snow, but it's very windy.

--
Adrian
Old March 5th 05, 12:13 PM
pete devlin

In message , John
Ricketts writes
Planning to shoot up and make a long easter weekend. Things are good now but
who knows in 3 weeks? I have previously stayed in Fort William, which is on
the doorstep of Nevis, 27 minutes (viamichelin) from Glencoe and about 90
minutes from Aviemore (too far, unless no other options). This seems to me
to give the best possibility of being able to find some decent snow, but is
there a more centralised location that anyone can recommend? That is,
somewhere a bit nearer to Aviemore (still with plenty of last minute cheap
accomodation!) that would (possibly) bring Glenshee into the frame too?

Don't want much do you? Fort bill to Aviemore at easter will take you
more than 90 mins. Spean Bridge would bring both into the equation. If
you want glenshee too, stay in Aviemore, it's about in the centre. That
gives you Lecht too.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 5th 05, 12:14 PM
pete devlin

In message , Adrian Tupper
writes
Pitlochry-Nevis is no more than 1.5 hours I suspect.

In what?
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 5th 05, 02:11 PM
Paul Richardson

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:13:04 +0000, pete devlin
wrote:

In message , John
Ricketts writes
Planning to shoot up and make a long easter weekend. Things are good now but
who knows in 3 weeks? I have previously stayed in Fort William, which is on
the doorstep of Nevis, 27 minutes (viamichelin) from Glencoe and about 90
minutes from Aviemore (too far, unless no other options). This seems to me
to give the best possibility of being able to find some decent snow, but is
there a more centralised location that anyone can recommend? That is,
somewhere a bit nearer to Aviemore (still with plenty of last minute cheap
accomodation!) that would (possibly) bring Glenshee into the frame too?

What sort of accomm are you looking for? There's a great bunkhouse at
Tulloch Bridge, the converted Station building - very warm,
comfortable, excellently run and cracking home cooking. Only dormitory
style accomm of course. It's a pretty convenient situation for Fort
Bill and not that much further for Aviemore, though there's nothing
else in the vicinity so apart from the "craic" in the bunkhouse, no
other apres-ski. More a walkers/climbers kind of place but if that
fits the bill it's great.

Details at

http://www.stationlodge.co.uk/

Paul
Leigh
Lancs
Old March 5th 05, 10:06 PM
Adrian Tupper

pete devlin wrote in news:CTQfRmIMDbKCFwz6
@sukmabobby.com:

In message , Adrian Tupper
writes
Pitlochry-Nevis is no more than 1.5 hours I suspect.

In what?

My car? Seriously it takes me just under 3 hours to get to Nevis
from here (Edinburgh) and just under 1.5 hours to Pitlochry. The
rest is simple maths.

--
Adrian
Old March 6th 05, 03:11 AM
pete devlin

In message , Adrian Tupper
writes
My car? Seriously it takes me just under 3 hours to get to Nevis from
here (Edinburgh) and just under 1.5 hours to Pitlochry. The rest is
simple maths.

Whatever. I've spent too long in my life arguing about peoples supposed
times up the A9 etc. It's a bit of a willy waving comp to some. Those
that travel it regularly on account that we live there will smile
politely at your claims.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 6th 05, 11:57 AM
John Ricketts

Hmm...Spean Bridge might be a possibility...... will see what's available.
Just trying to keep options open. Last year braille skied 6 days in a row at
Nevis from 3rd to 10th April in almost total white-out, but a week either
side would have been almost snow-less!

Old March 6th 05, 05:11 PM
pete devlin

In message , John
Ricketts writes
Hmm...Spean Bridge might be a possibility...... will see what's
available. Just trying to keep options open. Last year braille skied 6
days in a row at Nevis from 3rd to 10th April in almost total
white-out, but a week either side would have been almost snow-less!

Went for drive past Lecht today. Would have been a perfect day but I
can't stand queues. If it's still good on tues/wed I might go for the
1st time in 10 years or so. Weather permitting of course, I can't be
doing with getting ice blasted for the sake of a few hundred metres of
snow.
Any body know of a good outlet for ski mountaineering gear? I need some
skins and bindings. Probably boots too. The conditions at the moment
would be ideal for a few hills I've had my eye on for years.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"