Taking a 6 year-old skiing on your own

Old March 2nd 05, 12:41 PM
Carl Edwards

Jeeze, much cheaper to just leave your kids on the doorstep of some
distant relative with a note pinned to their chests saying, 'feed me,
parents gone skiing', then they wouldn't get in the way of your slope time
or your apres ski. Alternatively, if money is no object, simply send them
to an entirely different ski resort.

Call me old fashioned but I thought the idea of having kids was so you
could do fun stuff with them, stuff like skiing.

LOL. Right with you mate. Can't stand people who want to dump their kids at
every opportunity. I adore the time I have with my two girls and am sad to
think it'll only last a few more years before they're too grown up to be
"kids" anymore...

Old March 2nd 05, 01:21 PM
pete devlin

In message , Carl Edwards
writes
LOL. Right with you mate. Can't stand people who want to dump their
kids at every opportunity. I adore the time I have with my two girls
and am sad to think it'll only last a few more years before they're too
grown up to be "kids" anymore...

This is all fine until money or time is limited. Call me selfish but I
would be unable to spend a whole week skiing with my kids if it was the
only week I could get skiing that season. At least half of it would have
to be spent challenging myself and trying to improve. If you don't agree
then I think we probably ski for different reasons.
Being able to return at another time sans enfants means that I can put
on my family head and enjoy skiing with the youngsters. If, however,
there is a major dump of powder and I am expected to make like a slalom
pole on a nursery slope watching all that virgin get tracked out by
spackers, then I would imagine that my loyalties would be tested to
their limits!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 2nd 05, 02:39 PM
Champ

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:23:57 GMT, "Le Dieu" wrote:

Call me old fashioned but I thought the idea of having kids was so you could
do fun stuff with them, stuff like skiing.

Mebbe. Which is why I don't have kids.
--
Champ
Old March 2nd 05, 03:56 PM
Le Dieu

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , Carl Edwards
writes
LOL. Right with you mate. Can't stand people who want to dump their kids
at every opportunity. I adore the time I have with my two girls and am
sad to think it'll only last a few more years before they're too grown up
to be "kids" anymore...

This is all fine until money or time is limited. Call me selfish but I
would be unable to spend a whole week skiing with my kids if it was the
only week I could get skiing that season. At least half of it would have
to be spent challenging myself and trying to improve. If you don't agree
then I think we probably ski for different reasons.

Fair point. What I try and do is book them in for lessons in the morning so
I can do what I want for 2 or 3 hours and then ski with them in the
afternoons. Best of both worlds. But they're fast catching up with their dad
in the skill and nerve stakes and it won't be long before they're trying to
find someone to look after me while they go off and do some proper skiing.

A. D.

Old March 2nd 05, 06:20 PM
Colin Irvine

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:23:57 GMT, "Le Dieu" squeezed
out the following:

Call me old fashioned but I thought the idea of having kids was so you could
do fun stuff with them, stuff like skiing.

Sometimes you didn't intend to have kids. Sometimes you need a holiday
from your kids rather than with them. Sometimes ... oh stuff it, I'll
save my breath. You're too opinionated to listen to anyone else.

--
Colin Irvine
Old March 2nd 05, 11:01 PM
Roy

Can anyone recommend a resort and operator where I could take her where
she could be looked after all day, including English-speaking ski
school, so I could get some skiing in myself?

Thanks for any advice.

FionaG

Crikey - and you're her mum!

My girls were about your daughter's age and I used to drag 'em down the
mountain with me. They soon learned to ski well, in fact brilliantly - I'm
sure your daughter's bottle is far higher than yours (even if you can't see
it) - if she can ski already just get her to keep up with you - at 6 years
old she'll soon overtake you.

My gals love skiing and boarding, never a lesson between them - but I've
never pushed them - and it never occurred to me to palm them off to ski
school / creche.

Unless, of course, you want to get her off your hands for an easy social
life - in which case try buying a Yorkshire Terrier.

Roy

Old March 3rd 05, 07:38 AM
John Ricketts

It's scary how quick they learn! My 12 year old daughter has only been
skiing for 2 years or so, (with a fair amount of dry-slope instruction as
well), but the week before last she over-took me going down the Le Nants
black down into Chamonix from Planpraz! She stayed ahead until she got stuck
in the orange fence half way down!

I'm gonna have to get fit again!!

John

news

Old March 3rd 05, 07:52 AM
Paul Schofield

"John Ricketts" wrote in message
It's scary how quick they learn! My 12 year old daughter has only been
skiing for 2 years or so, (with a fair amount of dry-slope instruction as
well), but the week before last she over-took me going down the Le Nants
black down into Chamonix from Planpraz! She stayed ahead until she got

stuck
in the orange fence half way down!

I'm gonna have to get fit again!!

John

Too late mate - it's like Tescos - Once they're gone, they're gone! Try as
you might, once the kids overtake you, you'll not catch up

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old March 3rd 05, 06:56 PM
Adrian Tupper

David Mahon wrote in
:

In article , Roy
writes

[...]

It is possible that FionaG wants to go to ski school herself. How do
you manage that with a 6 year old in tow? Most group lessons don't
tend to mix the adults with the small children.

FionaG asked a simple question. I suggest amateur sociologists (who
know nothing about either FionaG or the 6 year old) find a
more appropriate newsgroup. Roy's reply was unhelpful at best.

We have used Crystal, who have a club for little ones. They don't ski
but will do some fun in the snow.

Also check out http://www.skifamille.co.uk/ who often have late offers
for their chalets in Les Gets.

--
Adrian
Old March 4th 05, 09:47 AM
FionaG

I never thought my question would give rise to so many different (and
heated) opinions! I was simply concerned that my daughter got the best
tuition possible as I am not confident enough to teach her myself
(especially on my own) and she learns much better from a professional.

You will all be glad to know that I have a friend with another 6-year
old girl and we have booked a holiday together. We will put the girls
in ski school together in the morning and take them out ourselves in
the afternoon. I hope I can no longer be accused of being a selfish
mother!

Thanks to all who offered useful advice.

FionaG