Taking a 6 year-old skiing on your own

Old March 1st 05, 10:48 AM
FionaG

Default Taking a 6 year-old skiing on your own

I am thinking of taking my six year-old skiing with me for a week at
Easter (leaving husband behind to work!). She has skied several times
before, so is no longer a beginner.

Can anyone recommend a resort and operator where I could take her where
she could be looked after all day, including English-speaking ski
school, so I could get some skiing in myself?

Thanks for any advice.

FionaG

Old March 1st 05, 11:11 AM
Stan Mullery

Try Ski Famille in Lets Gets. www.skifamille.co.uk The chalets at
Les Contamines are right on the slopes.

Stan

Old March 1st 05, 11:39 AM
Le Dieu

wrote:

I am thinking of taking my six year-old skiing with me for a week at
Easter (leaving husband behind to work!). She has skied several times
before, so is no longer a beginner.

Can anyone recommend a resort and operator where I could take her where
she could be looked after all day, including English-speaking ski
school, so I could get some skiing in myself?

Thanks for any advice.

FionaG

Or you could just book her in for 2 or 3 hours of lessons in the morning and
ski together in the afternoons.

A. D.

Old March 1st 05, 11:54 AM
Carl Edwards

Can anyone recommend a resort and operator where I could take her where
she could be looked after all day, including English-speaking ski
school, so I could get some skiing in myself?

Perish the thought of spending any time together, eh? Don't want the damn
kids getting in the way when you want to be off enjoying yourself, do you?
As someone else pointed out, why not actually use the opportunity to spend
some time together on the slopes? You never know, you might enjoy it.
Alternatively, maybe you could pay for a nanny to go with you, then you
could go out at night too and not worry about your pesky daughter getting in
your way at any point.

Old March 1st 05, 12:00 PM
CP

"FionaG" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of taking my six year-old skiing with me for a week at
Easter (leaving husband behind to work!). She has skied several times
before, so is no longer a beginner.

Can anyone recommend a resort and operator where I could take her where
she could be looked after all day, including English-speaking ski
school, so I could get some skiing in myself?

Mark Warner worked for me when my Son was younger, very flexible with child
care, the nannies take and pick up the kid from Ski School. La Plagne was
good, right on the slopes or as it's later in the season how about Val
d'isere or Tignes.

Clive

Old March 1st 05, 02:05 PM
SkyCatcher

We had the situation when my 5 year old decided that she didn't want to
attend the ski school/child minding facility 2 years ago. We reluctantly
took her on the slopes with us and taught her ourselves. We decided to take
it in turns skiing on our own while the other half stayed with the wee one.
In the end we found it so rewarding that both of us wanted to stay with her!

So my advice would be to book her in for lessons a couple of hours in the
morning then enjoy the rest of the day her - honestly it is great!

This year we are not putting any of our kids into lessons and we are going
to ski together as a family. The kids are 11, 10 & 7.

Good luck.

oups.com...

Old March 1st 05, 02:33 PM
Neil Swingler

FionaG wrote:
I am thinking of taking my six year-old skiing with me for a week at
Easter (leaving husband behind to work!). She has skied several times
before, so is no longer a beginner.

Can anyone recommend a resort and operator where I could take her where
she could be looked after all day, including English-speaking ski
school, so I could get some skiing in myself?

Ski Esprit and Snowbizz (in Puy Saint Vincent) have a comprehensive
program of kids ski lessons.

http://www.ski-esprit.co.uk/Ski/index.html
http://www.snowbizz.co.uk/

--
Neil Swingler
Old March 2nd 05, 06:57 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"FionaG" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of taking my six year-old skiing with me for a week at
Easter (leaving husband behind to work!). She has skied several times
before, so is no longer a beginner.

Can anyone recommend a resort and operator where I could take her where
she could be looked after all day, including English-speaking ski
school, so I could get some skiing in myself?

We had a very good experience with the Swiss ski school in Zermatt last
week. Drop your daughter off at the bottom of the lifts at 9:00, fetch her
again at 16:00, lunch included in the group lesson fee. They had a mixed
English/French language group that seemed to work fine.

One nice feature is that you can book a 3-day course (Mon-Wed) and extend it
to Friday later on if you wish. There seems no need to pre-book, we booked
on the spot on the Saturday even though it was peak season.

One problem may be that the classes are based on age groups as well as
ability, your daughter will be in the 6-12 age group, so may struggle a bit
sharing with the older children (our daughter is 5, so she was in the
smaller children's groups)

Zermatt is easy to arrange without operator: Easyjet or equivalent to
Geneva, train to Zermatt (no need to book), book hotel direct via excellent
Zermatt web site. It doesn't have to be Saturday to Saturday in most hotels.
Added bonus: ski pass is free for children born in 1995 or later. And free
train travel anywhere in Switzerland for children travelling with parents,
with "junior card" (20 CHF, valid one year) that you can buy on the spot at
the Geneva Airport station.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:10 AM
Stan Mullery

Or just get a transfer ticket and free family card so the bairn
travels free.

Stan

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:57:29 +0100, "Marco Cattaneo"
wrote:

roups.com...

Old March 2nd 05, 09:23 AM
Le Dieu

"David Mahon" wrote in message
In article .com, FionaG
writes

I am thinking of taking my six year-old skiing with me for a week at
Easter (leaving husband behind to work!). She has skied several times
before, so is no longer a beginner.

Can anyone recommend a resort and operator where I could take her where
she could be looked after all day, including English-speaking ski
school, so I could get some skiing in myself?

Esprit, to any of their destinations. My only personal experience is with
them is Scheffau. Leave her with them, in the hotel reception, at 8.30.
Pick her up, in the hotel playroom, at 17.30. You can even leave her again
for a few hours in the evening if you like.

Jeeze, much cheaper to just leave your kids on the doorstep of some distant
relative with a note pinned to their chests saying, 'feed me, parents gone
skiing', then they wouldn't get in the way of your slope time or your apres
ski. Alternatively, if money is no object, simply send them to an entirely
different ski resort.

Call me old fashioned but I thought the idea of having kids was so you could
do fun stuff with them, stuff like skiing.

A. D.