Majolapass & Julierpass nr. St Moritz

Old February 26th 05, 05:18 PM
Mark Jordan

Default Majolapass & Julierpass nr. St Moritz

Will be doing both within the next week, provided there are no avalanches!

How bad or treacherous will they be this time of year?

MJ.
Old February 26th 05, 09:36 PM
davidof

Mark Jordan wrote:
Will be doing both within the next week, provided there are no avalanches!

Presumably by car?

How bad or treacherous will they be this time of year?

Depends on the snow. I used to drive both reguarly through the winter in
a 405 with snow tyres no problem, nice run. If there was snow on the
road it was usually only 5cm or so - the ploughs keep things clear.
Old February 26th 05, 10:23 PM

davidof wrote:
Mark Jordan wrote:
Will be doing both within the next week, provided there are no

avalanches!

Presumably by car?

How bad or treacherous will they be this time of year?

Depends on the snow. I used to drive both reguarly through the winter

in
a 405 with snow tyres no problem, nice run. If there was snow on the
road it was usually only 5cm or so - the ploughs keep things clear.

Yes. A Volvo.

Summer tyres with chains, I hardly ever do cold runs so didn't want to
spend =A3400+ on a set of snow/winter tyres to be used once.
Unfortunately I was due to purchase a set for =A375 but the deal fell
through at the last minute and has left me with my usual tyres.

Oh well. Should be an adventure! *Grin*

Old February 28th 05, 08:51 AM
Florian Anwander

Hi Mark

Summer tyres with chains, I hardly ever do cold runs so didn't want to
spend £400+ on a set of snow/winter tyres to be used once.

Be warned, that the police might enjoin you from going with summertyres
over the pass (chains don't matter). We went last year the Julier in the
evening around half past eight. There was a control point down in
Silvaplana short behind the crossing (Via da Güglia). They sent
everybody back, who had only summer tyres on his car.

Florian

Old February 28th 05, 08:59 AM
Simon Brown

"Florian Anwander" wrote in message
Hi Mark

Summer tyres with chains, I hardly ever do cold runs so didn't want to
spend £400+ on a set of snow/winter tyres to be used once.

Be warned, that the police might enjoin you from going with summertyres
over the pass (chains don't matter). We went last year the Julier in the
evening around half past eight. There was a control point down in
Silvaplana short behind the crossing (Via da Güglia). They sent
everybody back, who had only summer tyres on his car.

Florian

It's very cold indeed now, summer tyres would be verging on criminal until
the end of march. The roads will be very icy, you will not have a chance.
--
Simon Brown
www.sysgem.com www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

Old February 28th 05, 02:28 PM
Marco Cattaneo

wrote in message
oups.com...

Summer tyres with chains, I hardly ever do cold runs so didn't want to
spend £400+ on a set of snow/winter tyres to be used once.

Doesn't it ever rain where you live? Doesn't it ever get colder than ~10
degrees (Centigrade...)? Winter tyres are safer than summer tyres in any
winter conditions, not just snow and ice, so you can use them as your normal
tyres throughout the winter - and while you are using them, your summer
tyres are not wearing out, so apart from the initial investment and the
necessary storage space in your garage, it probably does not cost a lot more
to equip yourself with a set of winter tyres. Assuming of course you are not
going to change cars in the next couple of years...

Old February 28th 05, 07:17 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Marco Cattaneo :
Winter tyres are safer than summer tyres in any
winter conditions, not just snow and ice, so you can use them as your normal
tyres throughout the winter

I'm guessing the OP is from GB. We don't get winters here. Oh, the past week
has just been a blip (and you probably wouldn't call that winter either).

By the way: - what sig?

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old March 1st 05, 06:28 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Felly sgrifennodd Marco Cattaneo :

By the way: - what sig?

Sorry:

Old March 13th 05, 06:57 PM
Mark Jordan

It's very cold indeed now, summer tyres would be verging on criminal until
the end of march. The roads will be very icy, you will not have a chance.

Managed the Majolapass at 23:00, temp was -14c and needed the chains
for the last section just before Majola. (Putting chains on my car at
that temp wasn't too nice, my car is very low-slung and has virtually
no gap between the tyre and wing!)

Did the Julierpass (direction Chur) about 10.30am about -6c on summer
tyres only, no chains. One minor slide round one of the hairpins, and
plenty of use of the ABS on the downhill bits!

Not as bad as I was expecting!

MJ