Folgarida to Tonale - Is it Possible??

Old February 26th 05, 05:01 PM
Simon DOLBY

Default Folgarida to Tonale - Is it Possible??

We are thinking of booking a ski holiday, staying in Folgarida (Italy),
which appears to have a reasonably sized ski area (140ks).

However I fear that I'm going to get a little bored as the week progresses,
and note that there are other ski areas covered on the lift pass (most
interesting of which is Tonale).

According to the Trentino website, a bus service is available, but doesn't
make any sense - anyone got any ideas?

If anyone has ever been to the Folgarida are - what is it like?

Any help / suggestions would be really welcomed (otherwise it's Meribel
again........)

Thanks,

Simon

Old March 2nd 05, 09:19 PM
Rod Jenkins

"Simon DOLBY" wrote in message
We are thinking of booking a ski holiday, staying in Folgarida (Italy),
which appears to have a reasonably sized ski area (140ks).

However I fear that I'm going to get a little bored as the week

progresses,
and note that there are other ski areas covered on the lift pass (most
interesting of which is Tonale).

According to the Trentino website, a bus service is available, but doesn't
make any sense - anyone got any ideas?

If anyone has ever been to the Folgarida are - what is it like?

It doesn't look like anybody with any really useful information is going to
reply. We stayed in Madonna last March and skied every run. The areas
around Folgarida and Marilleva were much more crowded and a bit steeper than
the Madonna slopes. Overall the skiing was a bit bland but quite flattering
if you want to try your first blacks. There was supposed to be a day trip
to Tonale organised by the Rep (Inghams) but it didn't happen-we were the
only ones interested. We did link up with the Ski club rep for a day and
took a local bus down the road to Pinzolo, which was a pleasant half day.

Rod

Old March 2nd 05, 10:53 PM
Paul Richardson

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:19:54 -0000, "Rod Jenkins"
wrote:

"Simon DOLBY" wrote in message
We are thinking of booking a ski holiday, staying in Folgarida (Italy),
which appears to have a reasonably sized ski area (140ks).

However I fear that I'm going to get a little bored as the week

progresses,
and note that there are other ski areas covered on the lift pass (most
interesting of which is Tonale).

According to the Trentino website, a bus service is available, but doesn't
make any sense - anyone got any ideas?

If anyone has ever been to the Folgarida are - what is it like?

Been twice to Folgarida, once to Tonale. Newbies in Folgarida some
years ago - good place to learn. Went back when we could do the link
to Madonna - that's a wonderfully scenic trip but I guess you might
call the slopes "bland" if you're an expert. Bland, the scenery
ain't!! Glorious striated rock towers either side of Groste above
Madonna, always there on the horizon from Monte Spolverino and Vigo in
Folgarida, providing a wonderful backdrop.

Tonale - loads of short learner type runs parallel to each other from
a smallish hill above the pass. Two side valleys are more scenic, and
the glacier area on the other side of the road is smallish but was
buried in about 20ft of powder when we were there!
The resort would be better were the link to Ponte di Legno open, but
we were there at an April Easter, and there was no snow left in Ponte.
That looks like it could be a pleasant trip, get the bus back up I
understand.

A day trip to Tonale from Folgarida would be ok for a change of scene
- I'm afraid I don't know about the bus. You might be better getting a
taxi down to Dimaro in the valley (about 15 minutes' drive), and you
would surely get a bus from there.

I guess you get the picture - I ski more for the scenery than for
blasting down blacks, and we loved Folgarida especially with the
Madonna link.

Paul
Leigh
Lancs
Old March 7th 05, 12:08 PM
MoonMan

Simon DOLBY wrote:
We are thinking of booking a ski holiday, staying in Folgarida
(Italy), which appears to have a reasonably sized ski area (140ks).

However I fear that I'm going to get a little bored as the week
progresses, and note that there are other ski areas covered on the
lift pass (most interesting of which is Tonale).

According to the Trentino website, a bus service is available, but
doesn't make any sense - anyone got any ideas?

Yes it's possible I did it some years ago, I seem to remember it was a
normal local bus. but I cant remember where we caught it.

Andole was quite worth a visit too.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old March 9th 05, 07:26 PM
Gordy

Yes I would tend to agree with most of the replies. Tonale is on the boring
side. All runs more or less parallell to one another, do one, and the rest
are quite similar. The ones at eeach " end of the village , ie the two
longest , the names of which escape me, were the best. Glacier not worth it.
Best stay in Madonna, and the area, and not bother.
Gordon Dudgeon
Belfast