molding liners?

Old February 23rd 06, 12:31 AM

Default molding liners?

hey now,

I have in my possession a new pair of boots and they have moldable liners.
Looking on the net I see general procedures on how to do this myself at
home, but they are all the ones I found were for the hard boot crowd.

So before I go turning my oven to 225 degrees and play betty crocker,
have any of you guys done this yourself and what is the best procedure?
I guess the tricky party is getting the liner back in the boot and
then judging how tight to make the shell while it cools?

TIA

Mike
Old February 23rd 06, 01:26 AM

I have in my possession a new pair of boots and they have moldable liners.
Looking on the net I see general procedures on how to do this myself at
home, but they are all the ones I found were for the hard boot crowd.

Which liners? The instructions may or may not be the same. If they are
Intuition liners, most everything from the hardbooters applies.

So before I go turning my oven to 225 degrees and play betty crocker,
have any of you guys done this yourself and what is the best procedure?
I guess the tricky party is getting the liner back in the boot and
then judging how tight to make the shell while it cools?

Getting the liner back into the boot:

Every want to wear panty-hose? Now is your chance! Only you won't be
wearing them normally... just cut 'em off at the knees, and slide part from
the foot up to the knee over the liner and then put it in the boot. This
will make it slide in nice -n- easy and not get hung up.

How tight?

The tighter you crank down the laces while molding, the looser the fit when
you're riding and vice versa. (Tight during molding compresses the liner
more, leaving more room for later). I always crank the toes tight enough
during molding to cause pain so that the toebox is nice and roomy while
riding, and leave the upper part pretty loose during molding so that it's
snug when riding (snug uppers = no shin bang - which is more of a problem in
hard than soft, but I've still gotten shin bang in softies especially in the
park)

Hope that helps,

Mike T

Old February 23rd 06, 03:18 PM

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

I have in my possession a new pair of boots and they have moldable liners.
Looking on the net I see general procedures on how to do this myself at
home, but they are all the ones I found were for the hard boot crowd.

So before I go turning my oven to 225 degrees and play betty crocker,
have any of you guys done this yourself and what is the best procedure?
I guess the tricky party is getting the liner back in the boot and
then judging how tight to make the shell while it cools?

Most shops that sell boots have a machine that will heat the liners up
to the proper temp so they can be fitted to four feet. Depending on the
shop, they should provide this service for you, perhaps at a nominal
charge, perhaps for free. I just had this done for a pair of ski boots
that I bought second-hand, and the store didn't charge me for it. I did
buy a couple of pairs of socks at the time, and I buy things there
regularly so I don't know that they'd do this without a fee for just
anybody. I think the regular boot fitting rate is something like $20/hr.

Anyway, it's not exactly rocket science to heat and fit a thermofit
liner, but going to someone who's done it before and who has the
equipment designed for it is probably worth the $20 or so. My advice is
to call around to the shops and see what they'll do for you.

//Walt
Old February 23rd 06, 03:41 PM

Thanks Mike now I understand about the tightening.. kinda counter-
intuitive!. One more question - how long is 'long enough' to stay
in the boots? 10 mins? 15?

15 minutes to be on the safe side.

Re-molding Thirty Two liners Gabstar Snowboarding 2 January 31st 06 08:24 PM
Heating liners? LeeD Snowboarding 7 November 26th 05 02:32 AM
heat molding Salomon liners [email protected] Snowboarding 4 April 8th 05 07:24 PM
Custom Boot Liners Burt Hwang Alpine Skiing 1 November 24th 03 05:52 PM
Custom Liners / Soft Boots Chris Devidal Alpine Skiing (moderated) 3 October 4th 03 03:11 AM