Potter Race Pics

Old March 9th 04, 04:44 PM
32 degrees

Default Potter Race Pics

Here he is... in his knicker glory... Jeff Potter !
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/

JK
Old March 9th 04, 07:06 PM
J999w

Here he is... in his knicker glory... Jeff Potter !
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/

JK

Looking good !

jw
Old March 9th 04, 08:26 PM
John Galt

Not to say anyone did or did not skate during the race, because I wasn't
there but herringboning up a hill easily can be confused as skating at
cursory glance of still photos. So I guess, IMHO, you couldn't come close
to DQ'ing anyone just from the photos. I commented in a previous post after
Birkie '04 about kickers skating in that race. What we need for the Birkie
is classical stamps (not stickers) on the bibs, BOTH front and back (not
just front) so they can be shamed as they pass you.

Old March 9th 04, 10:24 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:26:57 -0500, "John Galt"
wrote:

Not to say anyone did or did not skate during the race, because I wasn't
there but herringboning up a hill easily can be confused as skating at
cursory glance of still photos. So I guess, IMHO, you couldn't come close
to DQ'ing anyone just from the photos. I commented in a previous post after
Birkie '04 about kickers skating in that race. What we need for the Birkie
is classical stamps (not stickers) on the bibs, BOTH front and back (not
just front) so they can be shamed as they pass you.

Not as significant, but at the start of the freestyle Lake Placid
Loppet this year, it seemed a guy started skating way before everyone
else -- in what I thought was a double pole only zone. A picture my
wife took confirmed that he was skating when everyone else was double
poling...but perhaps we we all just confused about the rules.

http://jt10000.com/galleries/loppet04/loppet042.htm

JT
Old March 9th 04, 10:27 PM
sknyski

Interesting pictures.....looks like they were HOLDING TRAFFIC to let
the skiers go by ???

bt
Old March 10th 04, 12:16 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

John Galt wrote:

Not to say anyone did or did not skate during the race, because I wasn't
there but herringboning up a hill easily can be confused as skating at
cursory glance of still photos. So I guess, IMHO, you couldn't come close
to DQ'ing anyone just from the photos.

Not even #52? (photo 5)? Compare the posture with #18 in photo 6, #55
in 18 or #25 in 22. In general, it's not easy because probably most
didn't have good enough technique to be sure what they were doing.
Old March 10th 04, 01:35 AM
Jeff Potter

J999w wrote:

Here he is... in his knicker glory... Jeff Potter !
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/

JK

Looking good !

Ha...thanks.

I see some suffering there, though.

Man, it was TOUGH for me to get ANY grip. Amazing that the winner used
no-waxes---said he had great grip. Our friend used nowaxes as well and
had no grip in the early a.m. when we wax tested. Maybe they got better
as it warmed. Good to hear that Mike had good grip: it's the most
satisfying thing on a hilly course.

--

Jeff Potter
****

... offering Vordenberg's XC ski tales in "Momentum"! ...
... "The Recumbent Bicycle": the only book about these bikes! ...
... Rudloe's "Potluck": true-life story of workingclass smuggling! ...

... with radical novels coming up via LiteraryRevolution.com! ...
... music! ... articles! ... travel forums! ... WOW! 800-763-6923

Old March 10th 04, 02:37 AM
Greg Fangel

wrote:

Not to say anyone did or did not skate during the race, because I wasn't
there but herringboning up a hill easily can be confused as skating at
cursory glance of still photos. So I guess, IMHO, you couldn't come

close
to DQ'ing anyone just from the photos. I commented in a previous post

after
Birkie '04 about kickers skating in that race. What we need for the

Birkie
is classical stamps (not stickers) on the bibs, BOTH front and back (not
just front) so they can be shamed as they pass you.

There were at least two "official protests" at the American Birkie a few
weeks ago regarding cheating or skating during the classic race. One of
those protests potentially affected one of the skiers on the podium. The FIS
TD and chief of race decided to decline the protests.

Greg Fangel

Old March 10th 04, 03:18 AM
Jeff Potter

George Cleveland wrote:

On 9 Mar 2004 15:27:17 -0800, (sknyski) wrote:

Interesting pictures.....looks like they were HOLDING TRAFFIC to let
the skiers go by ???

bt

Boy, the race pictures brought on major deja vu. With the exception of
the suits (other than Jeff's) they could have been taken at any of the
races I used to do many long years ago.

I'm confused as ever. Traffic? Years ago? It's a classic race. Don't they
look the same?

I think some of the herringboners have very nice technique. I think the
pics go from front to back of pack and even some of the backpackers have
nice tech. Due to NO HILLS around here I sadly neglect my 'bone, but it
actually is a lovely technique. It's only awkward for the awkward. Nuff
said.

OK people: we gotta get me some light, bright blue knicker socks! They're
the missing piece. I have ONE such sock. Fox River used to make a fine,
tight weave pair. I have a pair of coarser navy ones but I hesitate to
get into them fearing damage and fashion sadness. Light, bright blue.
C'mon they gotta be out there. I'll pay!!! Or WHITE ONES. Yeah, that
would do it. Those TAN ones have to go. They're not bad, but...

--

Jeff Potter
****