Mounting bindings w/o the boot available

Old November 7th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
wht

Default Mounting bindings w/o the boot available

How risky is it to mount a pair of bindings on downhill skis without
the boot being available for the ski shop to fit to? I could tell
them the exact size and make of boot but that is it.

These bindings (Salomon Z10 Ti) say they have an adjustment range of
28 mm and size range of 3.5.

Thanks.
Old November 7th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
wht wrote:

How risky is it to mount a pair of bindings on downhill skis without
the boot being available for the ski shop to fit to? I could tell
them the exact size and make of boot but that is it.

These bindings (Salomon Z10 Ti) say they have an adjustment range of
28 mm and size range of 3.5.

Thanks.

These days, there's essentially no risk at all.

Tell them the exact length of the boot sole and they can use any pair
that they've got in the shop with the same length sole to do the
mounting (if they're need at all; the jig may have the sole measurement
adjustment marked right on it).

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old November 7th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
wht

On Nov 7, 3:15*pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
These days, there's essentially no risk at all.

Tell them the exact length of the boot sole and they can use any pair
that they've got in the shop with the same length sole to do the
mounting (if they're need at all; the jig may have the sole measurement
adjustment marked right on it).

Thanks again. I asked partly because I had heard some ski shops are
afraid to get sued if they mis-mount the bindings.
Old November 7th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

wht wrote:
How risky is it to mount a pair of bindings on downhill skis without
the boot being available for the ski shop to fit to? I could tell
them the exact size and make of boot but that is it.

These bindings (Salomon Z10 Ti) say they have an adjustment range of
28 mm and size range of 3.5.

They can *mount* the binding just knowing your boot sole length, but you
really should have the bindings *tested* using your boots. Mounting and
testing are two different things. A mount can take several days,
depending on how busy the shop is. Any slopeside shop should be able to
test your bindings while you wait. So, if timing is an issue, you can
have a shop mount the bindings, ship them to you, then have the bindings
tested the day you ski.

I'd say it's quite risky to ski on untested bindings.

//Walt
Old November 7th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Walt wrote:
wht wrote:
How risky is it to mount a pair of bindings on downhill skis without
the boot being available for the ski shop to fit to? I could tell
them the exact size and make of boot but that is it.

These bindings (Salomon Z10 Ti) say they have an adjustment range of
28 mm and size range of 3.5.

They can *mount* the binding just knowing your boot sole length, but
you really should have the bindings *tested* using your boots. Mounting and
testing are two different things. A mount can take
several days, depending on how busy the shop is. Any slopeside shop
should be able to test your bindings while you wait. So, if timing
is an issue, you can have a shop mount the bindings, ship them to
you, then have the bindings tested the day you ski.

I'd say it's quite risky to ski on untested bindings.

Would a shop agree to that?

Old November 8th 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Bob F wrote:
Walt wrote:
wht wrote:
How risky is it to mount a pair of bindings on downhill skis without
the boot being available for the ski shop to fit to? I could tell
them the exact size and make of boot but that is it.

These bindings (Salomon Z10 Ti) say they have an adjustment range of
28 mm and size range of 3.5.

They can *mount* the binding just knowing your boot sole length, but
you really should have the bindings *tested* using your boots. Mounting and
testing are two different things. A mount can take
several days, depending on how busy the shop is. Any slopeside shop
should be able to test your bindings while you wait. So, if timing
is an issue, you can have a shop mount the bindings, ship them to
you, then have the bindings tested the day you ski.

I'd say it's quite risky to ski on untested bindings.

Would a shop agree to that?

I don't know, you'd have to ask. But skis are sold all the time with
bindings already mounted. Somebody must have mounted them without
knowing who was going to buy them.

//Walt
Old November 8th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
wht wrote:

On Nov 7, 3:15*pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
These days, there's essentially no risk at all.

Tell them the exact length of the boot sole and they can use any pair
that they've got in the shop with the same length sole to do the
mounting (if they're need at all; the jig may have the sole measurement
adjustment marked right on it).

Thanks again. I asked partly because I had heard some ski shops are
afraid to get sued if they mis-mount the bindings.

That's another story. You might find places that aren't *willing* to do
it, but there really aren't any practical reasons why they couldn't do
it.

Old November 8th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
Walt wrote:

wht wrote:
How risky is it to mount a pair of bindings on downhill skis without
the boot being available for the ski shop to fit to? I could tell
them the exact size and make of boot but that is it.

These bindings (Salomon Z10 Ti) say they have an adjustment range of
28 mm and size range of 3.5.

They can *mount* the binding just knowing your boot sole length, but you
really should have the bindings *tested* using your boots. Mounting and
testing are two different things. A mount can take several days,
depending on how busy the shop is. Any slopeside shop should be able to
test your bindings while you wait. So, if timing is an issue, you can
have a shop mount the bindings, ship them to you, then have the bindings
tested the day you ski.

I'd say it's quite risky to ski on untested bindings.

The boot soles are essentially identical now and the testing in no way
depends on anything about your particular boots, so I don't see any risk
in skiing on bindings that have been mounted using another pair of boots
of the same sole length.

Old November 8th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
wht

Latest is that I just checked with my local REI store and they will
not mount bindings without having the boot available to test with.
Too much legal liability is the claim. They doubted any other ski shop
will do it either.

I will have to have my bindings mounted where my boots are currently
stored (in the mountains) robbing me of a day or two on the slopes :
(
Old November 8th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

wht wrote:

I will have to have my bindings mounted where my boots are currently
stored (in the mountains) robbing me of a day or two on the slopes :

My local mountain's on-hill shop will mount and test in less than an
hour, if you get there early in the am. Leave them, go have breakfast,
go skiing. No day lost.

Or, get there the late the day before and leave them overnight.

Call ahead and see what their situation is.