To pole or not to pole

Old January 26th 05, 05:55 PM

tiandiren wrote:

The spirit and the skills of the skier is reflected on the line

he/she
left behind.

Yeah, and many of the very best lines out there can only be reached by
utilizing poles or some another method of getting uphill.

What's the point of no poles? Having more "freedom" to make funky
postures with your hands?

Old January 26th 05, 06:47 PM
LePheaux

"tiandiren" wrote in message

The result is that the skier would be behind
the ski and chasing it. So, some strong skiers would hop and switch
both skis and set them into the asymmetric wedge while both skis are
unweighed. This technique is very effective, but tiring.

This is what beginners do.

The uphill ski turning, in tele, I would do is instead of moving the
uphill ski forward to form the wedge, I bring the downhill ski backward
(like moonwalk?). At this point, the uphill ski is weighed on, pointed
at the fall line, so the switch is more stable and the turning [as well
as the turning sequence] remains fast this way."--my way--

Once again, this is the way of the novice.
once you learn how to do the turn without the wedge, come back .

"You don't really know how to drive unless you can survive
the LA traffic."--an ex-LA resident--

So you don't know how to drive in the snow or rain.

Old January 26th 05, 07:29 PM
Armin

John Red-Horse wrote:

There are times when poles are not an option...

You spiritual weakling!!!

The pole is just the physical manifestation of your own lack of the
metaphysical spirit that is skiing.

It is but a crutch you so desperately cling to due to your fear of
looking deep inside yourself to find your InnerSkier(TM).

Be the ski Grasshopper.
Be the pole Grashopper.
Be the snow Grashopper.
Be the metaphysical presence that encompasses all that is "ski".

(****, I'm starting to like this! I might have to put up a website and
become a freelance instructor)

I think I had the IPA, or maybe it was a stout. I forgot the model,

but
that make of beer rivals anything I've ever drank. It's awesome

stuff!

Perhaps it was the NBC After Dark Ale?

Anything here look familiar:
http://www.nelsonbrewing.com/

Of course for you pinna's the NBC Faceplant Ale would be much more
appropriate. ;-)

Armin

Old January 26th 05, 08:46 PM
Armin

Kurt Knisely wrote:

They need a "Training Binding Pale Ale" for you.

They have one. I drink it all the time:
http://www.nelsonbrewing.com/wild.html

A.

Old January 26th 05, 08:57 PM
tiandiren

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article . com,

tiandiren
says...

"Generally, in tele, it is the downhill ski that is weighed
and produces the turn, the "free heel" uphill ski controls
the radius of the turn, hence controls the speed as well.

In powder?

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele3.jpg

The general experience is that a weighed ski cannot be moved
(changing direction) easily. So, to link the turns, the
uphill ski (which has less weight) is slide forward ahead of
the downhill ski, and forms an asymmetric wedge with the
downhill ski, then is weighed to produce the turn. Yes,
point it (the uphill ski) at the fall line makes the turning easier

and faster.

In powder? You know, deep, almost bottomless stuff?

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele4.jpg

An asymmetric wedge? Wow, newz to me...

Maybe you haven't seen much?

http://taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_prin_tech.html

However, the tricky part is that to weigh on a ski that is pointed
straight downhill generates much faster speed than the skier can

shift
the weight over easily. The result is that the skier would be behind
the ski and chasing it. So, some strong skiers would hop and switch
both skis and set them into the asymmetric wedge while both skis are
unweighed. This technique is very effective, but tiring.

The uphill ski turning, in tele, I would do is instead of moving the
uphill ski forward to form the wedge, I bring the downhill ski

backward
(like moonwalk?). At this point, the uphill ski is weighed on,

pointed
at the fall line, so the switch is more stable and the turning [as

well
as the turning sequence] remains fast this way."--my way--

-K

sting

Old January 26th 05, 09:56 PM
LePheaux

"tiandiren" wrote in message
oups.com...
Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article . com,

tiandiren
says...

"Generally, in tele, it is the downhill ski that is weighed
and produces the turn, the "free heel" uphill ski controls
the radius of the turn, hence controls the speed as well.

In powder?

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele3.jpg

That's not tele.
that's called traversing.

Old January 26th 05, 10:31 PM
VtSkier

LePheaux wrote:
"tiandiren" wrote in message
oups.com...

Kurt Knisely wrote:

In article . com,

tiandiren

says...

"Generally, in tele, it is the downhill ski that is weighed
and produces the turn, the "free heel" uphill ski controls
the radius of the turn, hence controls the speed as well.

In powder?

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele3.jpg

That's not tele.
that's called traversing.

I commented earlier that I didn't think the skier
was moving. In that case it's called "standing
still, looking down the hill".

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 04:21 AM
Pole Planting. Mark A Framness Alpine Skiing 4 March 26th 04 04:50 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 03:02 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 03:11 AM
Infinity Pole Report - Didn't Snap It Dell Todd Nordic Skiing 0 January 5th 04 02:46 PM