Avalanche book information needed

Old December 11th 03, 11:41 AM
ing. A. Kleibeuker

Default Avalanche book information needed

Hi (expert) reader(s)

I want to know more about the fundamentals of avalanches,
like stability, the underground influence, the composition of the snowpack
etc.
Well the usual stuff a backcountry boarder need to know and should know.

Does anybody know a good (extensive) book about avalanches?

Keep on riding,
Andre

Note: I fully understand that it is not a replacement for a course but i
want to be prepared
before following a course.

Old December 11th 03, 11:50 AM
Peter Clinch

A. Kleibeuker wrote:

Does anybody know a good (extensive) book about avalanches?

Recommended reading list at the Scottish Avalanche Information Service
site (see http://www.sais.gov.uk) is:

* A Chance in a Million? - Barton and Wright.
* Mountaincraft and Leadership - Langmuir.
* International Mountain Rescue Handbook - MacInnes.
* Avalanche Safety for Climbers and Skiers - Daffern.
* The Avalanche Handbook - McClung and Schaerer
* Snow Sense - Fredston and Fesler

Though the Langmuir book is very good note it's a general mountain
leadership volume with little specific to skiing and with avalanches
only a small portion. It's also quite skewed to a UK perspective, so
good though it is at what it sets out to do, probably not one to bother
with here.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old December 11th 03, 03:21 PM

Old December 11th 03, 11:46 PM
Johannes

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:41:50 +0100, " ing. A. Kleibeuker"
wrote:

Hi (expert) reader(s)

I want to know more about the fundamentals of avalanches,
like stability, the underground influence, the composition of the snowpack
etc.
Well the usual stuff a backcountry boarder need to know and should know.

Does anybody know a good (extensive) book about avalanches?

PowderGuide

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...333723-2658923

I don' know, if a english version available is.

For a quik info can you go to SLF Davos

http://www.slf.ch/welcome-en.html

Johannes
Old December 12th 03, 05:57 PM

Old December 13th 03, 08:07 AM
Hal Murray

_ I think the incident database at www.csac.org is particularly
useful and sobering. It's a good learning excercise to read
the incident reports along with the associated forecast.

I like it because they usually have info on recent events.

For good (but old) writeups of avalanches, I suggest
Snowy Torrents. It's the avalanche version of ANAM.

Unfortunately it doesn't come out regularly. The latest one is
already quite old. It was published in 1996, but covers
1980-86. It's the first/only one with good data on beepers
and shovels. (There are several older issues.)

Google says it's available many places.
Here is the source:
http://www.dnr.state.co.us/cdnr_news...212155939.html

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Old December 14th 03, 11:29 PM
russ

Does anybody know a good (extensive) book about avalanches?

If extensive is what you're looking for I'd go with "Staying Alive in
Avalanche Terrain" by Bruce Tremper.
Very detailed and very well written. Does a great job with the
technical snow science stuff as well as with the human factor/decision
making stuff.

-russ
Old December 23rd 03, 10:42 AM
gk

I recommend:

Backcountry Avalanche Awareness
Bruce Jamieson
(Can be obtained from the Cdn Avalanche Association)
&/or
Title = Snow Sense
Subtitle = A Guide to Evaluating Snow Avalanche Hazard
Authors = Jill Fredston & Doug Fesler

" ing. A. Kleibeuker" wrote in
message ...

Old December 23rd 03, 07:25 PM
Tom Scarvie

russ wrote:
If extensive is what you're looking for I'd go with "Staying Alive in
Avalanche Terrain" by Bruce Tremper.
Very detailed and very well written. Does a great job with the
technical snow science stuff as well as with the human factor/decision
making stuff.

on a related note (Bruce T. is mentioned in the article), everyone who
will head into the backcountry should read this:

What's Wrong with Traditional Avalanche Courses?
by David Spring
http://www.adventureplus.org/avalanche.htm

very important and sobering stuff...

Tom