Salomon Carbon Pro Skate - Tough entry

Old January 5th 05, 05:51 PM

Default Salomon Carbon Pro Skate - Tough entry

I started skiing/racing last season again after taking a few years off,
been lusting for those silver bullets for a while, missed bids on a
couple of slightly used sets on ebay and finally broke down and paid
retail at a shop a couple of weeks ago.

I use size 43.5 for cycling shoes, ski boot I normally use 44, I tried
on a 44 2/3 at the ski shop, it fit nicely, with plenty of toe room,
but the fit around the ankle and rest of the foot was perfect.

I've skied them 3 times and I love them, no break-in, great stability
yadda yadda

The problem I'm having is getting into them. The ankle cuff is narrow
and tight, sliding your foot into that thing is very tough, I have to
spend an extra 5-10 minutes getting my boots on and I'm worried that
eventually I'm going to tear the two pull straps that you use pull them
on.

Anybody else having this problem or is it only me? Solutions? Does
the cuff eventually loosen a bit, so this isn't a problem?

sk8

Old January 5th 05, 06:41 PM
Shmo

Same Problem. Hasn't gotten any better. I just try to make sure the
boots are warm when I put them on so I don't splinter any plastic and I
try to make sure I place the heel on the floor or against my other heel
so I'm pushing some as well as pulling on the straps.

Old January 6th 05, 03:49 PM
delltodd

The problem I'm having is getting into them. The ankle cuff is

narrow
and tight, sliding your foot into that thing is very tough, I have to
spend an extra 5-10 minutes getting my boots on and I'm worried that
eventually I'm going to tear the two pull straps that you use pull

them
on.

I think these claims that the carbon skate is tough to get into are
ridiculous !! There are two hefty pull straps that are there for the
job. Yank on em !

Also, wear socks which are pretty slippery so they tend to slide right
in like they are greased. Socks that I would expect you want to wear,
like a tech fiber such as polypro work fine.

But my reference point for boots that are tough for entry & exit are
the old school Lange orange alpine ski racing boots that were of a
durometer similar to cast iron. They literally took a lot of time &
effort to go either direction, typically would scrape you on either or
both your hand or foot, and it might end in tears of pain or
frustration, really really hurt your shins perhaps even causing stress
fractures, and that was with a room temp boot. Things then got ugly
after you buried them in powder for 8 hours in truly cold temps.

These carbon things are no problem. They require a little more effort
that than the yellow ones.

Old January 6th 05, 04:18 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

delltodd wrote:

I think these claims that the carbon skate is tough to get into are
ridiculous !! There are two hefty pull straps that are there for the
job. Yank on em !

I've heard one person besides you say the carbon skates are easy to get
on. All the other reports generally use profanity when talking about
putting on the carbon skates. For ease of entry, they're the worst xc
boot ever made.

Now if you're comparing to 1970s Lange boots (the orange ones?), you
might have a point.

Jay Wenner

Old January 6th 05, 04:30 PM
Fitzgerald

Ditto on the pain in the ass factor. I use a lighter sock to make entry
easier and also start by putting my foot in sideways and then rotating boot.
It has gotten a lot earsier with practice.

Fitzgerald
Snowing in southern NH

Old January 6th 05, 05:26 PM
Camilo

"delltodd" wrote

I think these claims that the carbon skate is tough to get into are
ridiculous !! There are two hefty pull straps that are there for the
job. Yank on em !

Also, wear socks which are pretty slippery so they tend to slide right
in like they are greased. Socks that I would expect you want to wear,
like a tech fiber such as polypro work fine.

Exactly the technique I use for my carbon classics. It's a PITA, but doable
once I figured out the exact coreography of the foot!

But my reference point for boots that are tough for entry & exit are
the old school Lange orange alpine ski racing boots that were of a
durometer similar to cast iron. They literally took a lot of time &
effort to go either direction, typically would scrape you on either or
both your hand or foot, and it might end in tears of pain or
frustration, really really hurt your shins perhaps even causing stress
fractures, and that was with a room temp boot. Things then got ugly
after you buried them in powder for 8 hours in truly cold temps.

I had (HAVE!!) those boots and skied on them about 15 years past their
normal product cycle (purchased ca. 1972/3, retired around 1990. Even had
the bottoms modified for more modern bindings. Talk about LOVE - HATE. But
they worked and once on, for me, were comfortable and that's all there is to
say! By the way, I still have the boots somewhere in a box of jun.... er,
keepsakes. If anyone is starting a boot museum, I'll donate them along with
my RAICHLE RED HOTS.

Cam

Old January 6th 05, 06:15 PM
J999w

I've got the same problem with classic boots from a few years ago (closeout).
My solution: good boots for hard workouts, old worn out boots for 'quickies'.
Maybe these new boots will stretch a little over time.

8 inches of snow in the yard !

Hey, they've had more snow in Peoria, IL than in the Twin Cities so far this
year!

jw
milwaukee
Old February 4th 05, 08:09 PM
Marc Gwadz

I just got a pair ('04 model), and I found them easy to get on (took a
few seconds, no swearing)

my feet are size 46, normal width.

and while I was worried about buying online based on nominal size , I
also fit fine in my normal size (on the carpet, haven't skied with them
yet)

your mileage may vary...

-marc