A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » European Ski Resorts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Schumi's crash & injury



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 6th 14, 06:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Schumi's crash & injury




No posts ? OK I will have an argument with myself then.


Doctor Fekyll: Schumi demonstrates that wearing a ski helmet is
sensible and should be made mandatory in law.

Herr Fyde: Bunkum ! Schumi was only a couple of ski-lengths from a
piste, moving at a slow speed. He could have just as easily tripped on
some icy concrete steps in his ski boots and brained himself. Is
helmet wearing going to be mandatory for those who are going out for
an evening's boozing in icey and slippery streets and passageways ?

Doctor Fekyll: Are you nuts ? That helmet just saved the life of the
world's greatest racing driver !

Herr Fyde: Good OK well I will agree to any legislation which mandates
that the world's greatest racing driver must wear a helmet when sking.
I refuse to wear a helmet because they are for raving Nancy-boys who
squat to pee.

Ads
  #2  
Old February 6th 14, 07:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 177
Default Schumi's crash & injury

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:55:03 +0000, "
wrote:




No posts ? OK I will have an argument with myself then.


Doctor Fekyll: Schumi demonstrates that wearing a ski helmet is
sensible and should be made mandatory in law.

Herr Fyde: Bunkum ! Schumi was only a couple of ski-lengths from a
piste, moving at a slow speed. He could have just as easily tripped on
some icy concrete steps in his ski boots and brained himself. Is
helmet wearing going to be mandatory for those who are going out for
an evening's boozing in icey and slippery streets and passageways ?

Doctor Fekyll: Are you nuts ? That helmet just saved the life of the
world's greatest racing driver !

Herr Fyde: Good OK well I will agree to any legislation which mandates
that the world's greatest racing driver must wear a helmet when sking.
I refuse to wear a helmet because they are for raving Nancy-boys who
squat to pee.


Dr. Sceptic: The fact that he has such a serious head/brain injury
demonstrates very well just how little protection his helmet gave him.


--
Ace
Prime Ski School, Engelberg, CH
http://www.prime-engelberg.ch
  #3  
Old February 7th 14, 07:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 47
Default Schumi's crash & injury

Ace wrote:

Dr. Sceptic: The fact that he has such a serious head/brain injury
demonstrates very well just how little protection his helmet gave him.


To be fair, like motorcycle helmets, ski helmets are far better at
protecting against bump-and-slide abrasion than direct impact. I don't
think there's a motorcycle helmet built that will protect against a
direct impact at much over 15kph.

@funkraum - good thread.


--
Guzzi Cali Street Triple XT660 Tenere
CB400F TS250x3 GN250 CB125S CG125
chateaudotmurrayatidnetdotcom
A fool and his spanners are soon parted
  #5  
Old February 10th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 37
Default Schumi's crash & injury

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 21:23:46 +0100, Ace wrote:

Dr. Sceptic: The fact that he has such a serious head/brain injury
demonstrates very well just how little protection his helmet gave him.


Well, it could be argued that the injuries might have been even worse had he
not had a helmet. Distance from piste is irrelevant: Diamant Noir in Flaine
had a couple of visible rocks early last week, though I didn't get to ski it.

Personally, I'd say that it's down to personal preference, but should not be
legislated, any more than cycle helmets should.

I woe a helmet most of last week, partly, I confess, because of the Schumi
incident, but also because we were sometimes skiing through trees and it kept
scraping branches from ruining my fabulous head of hair (cough).

I certainly wouldn't normally wear a helmet when skiing on-piste or even easy
off-piste.
--

Pip


  #6  
Old February 10th 14, 06:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Schumi's crash & injury

Ace wrote:
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:55:03 +0000, "
wrote:


No posts ? OK I will have an argument with myself then.


Doctor Fekyll: Schumi demonstrates that wearing a ski helmet is
sensible and should be made mandatory in law.

Herr Fyde: Bunkum ! Schumi was only a couple of ski-lengths from a
piste, moving at a slow speed. He could have just as easily tripped on
some icy concrete steps in his ski boots and brained himself. Is
helmet wearing going to be mandatory for those who are going out for
an evening's boozing in icey and slippery streets and passageways ?

Doctor Fekyll: Are you nuts ? That helmet just saved the life of the
world's greatest racing driver !

Herr Fyde: Good OK well I will agree to any legislation which mandates
that the world's greatest racing driver must wear a helmet when sking.
I refuse to wear a helmet because they are for raving Nancy-boys who
squat to pee.


Dr. Sceptic: The fact that he has such a serious head/brain injury
demonstrates very well just how little protection his helmet gave him.


You are right. I want to say " I cannot figure it out" but, I can
figure it out, or at least understand it.

A friend of mine was climbing (rock) and they had an accident some one
fell. I do not remember the distance but it was serious, like 50feet.
He was wearing a climbing helmet (old style 1970s) but they are only
to protect against rocks hitting you on the head, not against a 100mph
head-butt. When they got to him there was blood coming out of his
ears. I do not think he ever regained consciousness before he died, as
you would expect.

The worse one I saw was some one who fell from about six feet up,
measured from the soles of his boots. He was wearing a helmet but hit
his head on a rock. Very unlucky because there was sand and earth all
around. It looked like some one had thrown a bucket of blood on the
ground. He died in the helicopter. I will never forget the face of the
paramedic. He was ashen.

Schumi would be dead if had not wearing a helmet, I admit. But the
place where he fell was just a flat area between two pistes which had
boulders lying in it, the sort they leave there when they bulldoze the
piste out of the mountain when they originally put the lift in. There
was now way of falling 'down' on to something. You had to either go
into it at speed (which he was not doing) or just fall over.

Again it is just a 'icy steps on the way back from the bar' situation.
Which are way more dangerous than the small boulder field where Schumi
fell. I nearly broke my shoulder blade falling on an frozen lake once
(the shoulder blade hit flat on, not angle on, which shows you how
much force was involved). If I had hit my head that hard I think I
would have killed myself.

I suspect Schumi was wearing a helmet for the same reason as Madonna:
He can retain his anonymity.

A friend of mine who did close-protection for Schumi said that Michael
did not enjoy meet&greet that much, probably because he had done too
much of it. But his brother was OK about it.


  #9  
Old February 11th 14, 07:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Schumi's crash & injury

PipL wrote:

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 21:23:46 +0100, Ace wrote:

Dr. Sceptic: The fact that he has such a serious head/brain injury
demonstrates very well just how little protection his helmet gave him.


Well, it could be argued that the injuries might have been even worse had he
not had a helmet. Distance from piste is irrelevant: Diamant Noir in Flaine
had a couple of visible rocks early last week, though I didn't get to ski it.

Personally, I'd say that it's down to personal preference, but should not be
legislated, any more than cycle helmets should.

I woe a helmet most of last week, partly, I confess, because of the Schumi
incident, but also because we were sometimes skiing through trees and it kept
scraping branches from ruining my fabulous head of hair (cough).


If you are blessed with a "fabulous head of hair (cough)" then there
is a definite argument for wearing a helmet or at least a hat. Hair on
the head is there to protect it and it is only when one finds it gone
does one realize (I am reliably informed) how effective it was.

I wish I could grow 'beard' on my head because my beard is a lot
tougher and more effective than 'hair'. Which is mainly why beard
grows on your face. The only downside is that after ten minutes in
sub-zero, you have an encrustation of ice all around your mouth and
nose.

If you have a "fabulous head of hair (cough)" then just about any
activity requires headgear. Even a flat cap offers more protection
than nothing.

I have nothing against headgear. The opposite. I just have a lot
against other people (governments) telling me what to do.


I certainly wouldn't normally wear a helmet when skiing on-piste or even easy
off-piste.

  #10  
Old February 11th 14, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Schumi's crash & injury

Ace wrote:

wrote:



No posts ? OK I will have an argument with myself then.


Doctor Fekyll: Schumi demonstrates that wearing a ski helmet is
sensible and should be made mandatory in law.

Herr Fyde: Bunkum ! Schumi was only a couple of ski-lengths from a
piste, moving at a slow speed. He could have just as easily tripped on
some icy concrete steps in his ski boots and brained himself. Is
helmet wearing going to be mandatory for those who are going out for
an evening's boozing in icey and slippery streets and passageways ?

Doctor Fekyll: Are you nuts ? That helmet just saved the life of the
world's greatest racing driver !

Herr Fyde: Good OK well I will agree to any legislation which mandates
that the world's greatest racing driver must wear a helmet when sking.
I refuse to wear a helmet because they are for raving Nancy-boys who
squat to pee.


Dr. Sceptic: The fact that he has such a serious head/brain injury
demonstrates very well just how little protection his helmet gave him.


Quite so. I think he would have been better protected in

- Old-style steel racing helmets. I used to have one of the 1960s
steel motor racing helmets which was very comforting. I have never
been sure what happened to it. It may have been 'borrowed'. Not all
were steel because I have seen 1960s bob-sled helmets which were not
steel. I could not confirm they were fiberglass because I could not
get under the liner to check.

- Or one of the Kevlar army helmets, which I have used for
ice-climbing because it offers much more comfort when there are huge
lumps bounding down on top of you and you are trying to do your best
to curl up small enough to fit inside the helmet.
They are designed to protect you from high speed fragments but the
liner suspends them enough that you could take considerable head-butt
impact. There is no way that that material is going to break and
permit penetration through to your skull. By the time there was enough
force to do that your head would have been knocked off your shoulders.
They're available in spiffy colors: Tree green, desert mush and
devilspawn UN blue. Over-whites must be available but I cannot recall
seeing any anywhere.
Also handy for attending the Winter Olympics because you can make an
ensemble with the addition of a flak jacket, which is what it is going
to take to get out of the Krasnodar region alive and in one piece, if
you ask me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Combat_Helmet


- Soviet tanker helmet. You can get winter liners for the tanker
helmets which makes them ever warmer. They are designed to protect you
when you get thrown against the ammunition containers, rather than
from ingress of sharp objects but from the sound of it, they would
have offered at least as much protection as Schumi's helmet. In fact
my dog-fur Ushanka would have offered as much protection as Schumi's
helmet.
They come already plumbed with earphones, for your digital music
device. Handy if you have a communications jack which converts USB to
Soviet 1950s A/68td-49 cannon plug.

http://www.soviet-power.com/detail.php?pid=45302


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
crash lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 3 May 14th 08 11:12 AM
Crash! [email protected] Nordic Skiing 29 February 10th 07 04:02 AM
insane ski crash vid paul rubens Alpine Skiing 5 February 7th 07 12:53 PM
My Crash ! bjorn Nordic Skiing 29 October 13th 05 12:18 AM
Crash of the year Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing (moderated) 31 February 1st 05 09:59 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.