Closest ski resort for driving

Old January 28th 05, 06:43 PM
Johannes

On 28 Jan 2005 10:00:19 -0000, (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:

Felly sgrifennodd Adrian Tupper :
I was wondering if anyone knows or can suggest which ski resort
of any quality/size is closest driving distance from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

According to
www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

Yes, the Swiss resorts. Choose from any of the resorts on the north side
of the Alps, such as (working west to east) Gstaad, Adelboden/Lenk, Jungfrau,
Meiringen, any of the central Switzerland resorts (Andermatt, Hoch Ybrig,
Rigi, Klewenalp, Engelberg etc).

Zeebrugge - Engelberg 789km
Zeebrugge - Sörenberg 774km
(Viamichelin)

You have to pay CHF40 for the motorway in Switzerland, but you don't have to
pay the extortionate French peage (the Luxembourg-Metz-Nancy bit in France
is not a peage). Fill up with petrol in Lux: it's dead cheap.

Exactly also ist te petrol at switzerland cheaper than at france.

Johannes
Old January 28th 05, 06:47 PM
Johannes

On 27 Jan 2005 22:13:42 GMT, Adrian Tupper
wrote:

delurk

I was wondering if anyone knows or can suggest which ski resort
of any quality/size is closest driving distance from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

According to www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

Any other suggestions?

Vosges

Example: la Bress 569km 5:36h (ViaMichelin)

Johannes
Old January 28th 05, 06:51 PM
Johannes

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:47:05 +0100, Johannes
wrote:

On 27 Jan 2005 22:13:42 GMT, Adrian Tupper
wrote:

delurk

I was wondering if anyone knows or can suggest which ski resort
of any quality/size is closest driving distance from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

According to www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

Any other suggestions?

Vosges

Example: la Bress 569km 5:36h (ViaMichelin)

Sorry
La Bresse

Johannes
Old January 28th 05, 07:24 PM
Adrian Tupper

Ralf Langanke wrote in news:ctdc74$kd9$03$1
@news.t-online.com:

Adrian Tupper wrote:

delurk

I was wondering if anyone knows or can suggest which ski resort
of any quality/size is closest driving distance from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

According to www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

Any other suggestions?

Small resort in the Black Forest:

http://www.liftverbund-feldberg.de/

Distance 682 km, 6hr40

HTH

Yes. Actually I have been there but in the summer quite a long
time ago.

Thanks to everyone who replied. The best timing I found
was 7hr51 to Interlaaken but I didn't remember the German
resorts (or the Belgian one(s)!).

Starting in Edinburgh, my only ferry is to Zeebrugge and it arrives
at 11.30am. In other words, a short day's driving is all I can do.
Whether anything comes of this project remains to be seen but at least
I can start looking at accomodation etc.

I'll stick around this newsgroup. A good one.

--
Adrian
Old January 28th 05, 08:53 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Ralf Langanke :
Small resort in the Black Forest:

http://www.liftverbund-feldberg.de/

Distance 682 km, 6hr40

I forgot about that. It's not worth booking too far ahead though, in case
there's no snow, but we were there on new year's eve 2001 (just as
the Euro was coming in) and it was excellent. It's not so small either.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old January 31st 05, 08:18 AM
Playdreamer

Vosges

Example: la Bress 569km 5:36h (ViaMichelin)

Yes, I'd second that. I have done a couple of weekend trips there,
leaving London on a Friday afternoon, via the tunnel, get there late
Friday night, ride sat/sun and leave at 3pm to be home at midnight. We
usually do the drive Calais - La Bresse in less than six hours.

Its not the Alps but it is a sizable ski domain for a short trip and the
resort is well run. Here is my most recent trip report:
http://www.snowgo.com/archives/2005/...irst_turns.php

--
www.snowgo.com - Reading, writing and riding. A snowboarding blog.
Old January 31st 05, 06:28 PM
Adrian Tupper

Playdreamer wrote in
:

Vosges

Example: la Bress 569km 5:36h (ViaMichelin)

Yes, I'd second that. I have done a couple of weekend trips there,
leaving London on a Friday afternoon, via the tunnel, get there late
Friday night, ride sat/sun and leave at 3pm to be home at midnight. We
usually do the drive Calais - La Bresse in less than six hours.

Its not the Alps but it is a sizable ski domain for a short trip and the
resort is well run. Here is my most recent trip report:
http://www.snowgo.com/archives/2005/...irst_turns.php

Thanks. I'll take another look.

--
Adrian
Old February 1st 05, 08:26 AM
Ace

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:19:06 +0100, "Marco Cattaneo"
wrote:

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
So Switzerland seems a better bet than France if you're looking for the
quickest drive.

Which stands to reason, given that the French Alps are located south of
Swizerland...

Generalisations aside, do consider also likely traffic congestion on the way
(only a problem in France during the February weekends) and possible delays
at the Swiss border (all those foreigners queueing to buy their motorway
sticker...)

Assuming one would be driving down the A35 in France (rather than
having crossed over onto the German autobahn) there are rarely any
significant delays at the border post coming into Basel. For one thing
the traffic, although it may be heavy, is separated, so lorries have
to turn off before the main border post[1]. And they don't check for
'Vignettes' for the simple reason that the road on the Swiss side is
not an autoroute[2].

[1] They rejoin it on the other side, though, so getting through the
roadwork section round the north of the city may sometimes take
fifteen minutes[3] or so.
[2] I believe it will become one in a couple of years when they've
finally finished the current round of road-building.
[3] Which probably won't bother someone en-route to skiing, but
sometime hacks me off on my way into work of a morning.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 1st 05, 08:37 AM
Ace

On 27 Jan 2005 22:13:42 GMT, Adrian Tupper
wrote:

delurk

I was wondering if anyone knows or can suggest which ski resort
of any quality/size is closest driving distance from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

According to www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

Yes, as has been said by others, many of the Swiss resorts will save
you a couple of hours compared with the closest of the French (Alpine)
ones. Working in Basel as I do I'd suggest the easiest reasonable
snow-sure ones to get to would include EngelBerg, Meiringen/Hasliburg,
Andermatt, Wengen, Grindelwald and Adelboden. The latter three are
much more likely to be affected by traffic at busy times, so best
avoided on a Friday evening/Saturday morning or returning on Sunday
night.

Any other suggestions?

Others have mentioned the Vosges, which havs some small resorts with a
reasonable amount of skiing if (and it's a big if) the snow is good.
Bear in mind that their maximum height is 1400m and you'll realise
that you have to be very sure of conditions before you go.

Also note that the amount of skiing is quite limited, so a whole week
mught find you bored and looking for alternative activities -
thankfully the area is stunningly beautiful, so walking, snowshoeing,
even cycling, are all very much worthwhile. Personally, I only pop up
that way (about an hour from home) for the day if there's been a good
dump.

There are five stations in total - see
http://www.skifrance.fr/massif8-a.htm for details and latest snow
reports. Hmmm, looking good - maybe I'll pop up next weekend...

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 1st 05, 05:25 PM
Adrian Tupper

Ace wrote in
:

On 27 Jan 2005 22:13:42 GMT, Adrian Tupper
wrote:

delurk

[...]

Thanks. You're spoiled for choice if you're in Basel. Feldberg
is local to you too.

I'll look at your link.
--
Adrian