Sisu skis or Elpex pneumatic skis?

Old July 4th 05, 12:40 AM

Default Sisu skis or Elpex pneumatic skis?

Does any out there have any experience with Dale Niggeman's Sisu roller
skis with the integral boot or the Elpex pneumatic-tired roller skis?

Randy

Old July 5th 05, 08:50 PM
Steve Thatcher

I have had the Enduro's for 4 years. They are extremely stable and
have brakes. The brakes seem like a good idea but as you get better
you use them less and less and they don't work too well at high speed,
so the trick is to not let things get out of control. The stability is
the key item. The stiffness of the integrated boot causes some minor
technique problems (can't get a lot of forward flex in the ankle) but
that is more than outweighed by the stability you gain and the ability
to really get out over the ski and commit without fear of falling.
Everytime I consider switching to a regular setup I think about all the
times I've planted my poles between my skis and recovered with no
problem. I think, "Boy I should have bit the ground there but it
didn't" They are a bit on the fast side, but can be slowed down by
using more of Dale's "slow" wheels and are quite rough as the wheels
are small (There roller blade wheels, so they're cheap). Get the new
Salomon boot version as it's a Salomon Roller Blade boot and you even
get the rails with them if you want to use the boots to blade. One
problem is that you can't walk down steep hills unless you want to walk
in your socks as you have to take the boots off. I ski with the upper
laces loose and that seems to help ankle flex. Ask Dale about his
theory on a "stiff boot" for roller skiing. I like them, they are
great for learning, though I still wish I had a pair of Alpex F1's from
time to time

Old July 8th 05, 02:17 AM

Does the boot pivot at the toe with the ski like a binding? Do you
have the old hard boot or the new soft boot Dale has on his website?

Randy

Old July 8th 05, 12:49 PM
Steve Thatcher

The boot does not pivot but is firmly attached and relies on the
flexing of the plastic connector. I had the old hard boot and upgraded
to the newer soft boot (Mongoose) but not the Solomons. They came
later. I think they just offer a better fit but aren't any softer.