Direct picture feed from La Rosiére March 15-22

Old March 13th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pandy Holmberg

Default Direct picture feed from La Rosiére March 15-22

Yes! Lots of new snow at last and now it is clearing up so next week should
be perfect.

For those interested I will providing a live feed of pictures from the
pistes of La Rosiére and La Thuile at the pistoff.com Eurosnow server at
http://pistoff.com between March 15 and 22 so you can see for yourself if
there is snow there or not.

Can't wait to get there !

This is my first time in La Rosiére. After 5 years in a row of wonderful Les
3 Vallées we decided we just had to try something different even if 3V is
probably the best. La Rosiére should be quite good for the kids so if I have
to take it easier one winter I guess I should not complain. I guess
off-piste is out of the question this time of the year anyway. :-)

And they have a maximum group size of 8 kids at the ESF in La Rosiére which
I haven't seen at other ESF's - unfortunately. I once saw 16 kids with one
teacher. Nice and safe ... NOT!

Happy skiing,
Pandy

Old March 13th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:02:12 +0100, in
, "Pandy Holmberg"
wrote:

This is my first time in La Rosiére. After 5 years in a row of wonderful Les
3 Vallées we decided we just had to try something different even if 3V is
probably the best.

Best what? And for whom? Far too subjective, but there are better
resorts for any individual criteria, e.g. families, off-piste, cruisy
blues, mountain resraurants, night-life etc. etc. And each of those is
a very subjective measure in itself, of course.

La Rosiére should be quite good for the kids so if I have
to take it easier one winter I guess I should not complain. I guess
off-piste is out of the question this time of the year anyway. :-)

Why would you think that? I've been skiing mainly off-piste for the
last month or more (mainly at weekends) and see no reason to stop now.
La Ros isn't the best venue for it, mind, but take a day or two to
visit St Foye Tarentaise. If the snow's good, and it should be,
there's some great off-piste there.

And they have a maximum group size of 8 kids at the ESF in La Rosiére which
I haven't seen at other ESF's - unfortunately. I once saw 16 kids with one
teacher. Nice and safe ... NOT!

Nor good value. The kids at the back will be getting precisely nothing
out of such a lesson. In many places I'll de-recommend ESF for this
reason, particularly when there's an EIS option, with guaranteed max
group sizes, available.

Old March 13th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

wrote:

[...]

If temperatures don't shoot up too much it's pretty amazing right now.

And they have a maximum group size of 8 kids at the ESF in La Rosiére
which
I haven't seen at other ESF's - unfortunately. I once saw 16 kids with
one
teacher. Nice and safe ... NOT!

Nor good value. The kids at the back will be getting precisely nothing
out of such a lesson. In many places I'll de-recommend ESF for this
reason, particularly when there's an EIS option, with guaranteed max
group sizes, available.

The ESF in La Rosiere has got particular good rep though - hasn't it got a
directeur anglais?

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Seconded about St Foy - nearby, but with an entertaining mountain route
between the two.

It's also more sheltered than La Rosière, too (but then where isn't..?)

Here's our take on it:
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...sainte_foy.htm

Check your lift-pass options carefully, as you could benefit from discounts
at (also nearby) Tignes/Val d'Isère, should you feel the urge...

Bon Ski!

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude